Mirage IV with Tyne engines!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Dassault and British Aircraft Corp. have made a presentation of the Mirage 4 powered with Rolls-Royce Tyne engines" Aviation Week, 26 July 1965.

This almost demands a drawing.... maybe a pusher configuration?

I could have sworn that there was a post, somewhere on the Forum, which indicated that the “Spey Junior” was once marketed as the “Tay”. Could explain the mix-up.

i already hear Herman Goring screaming from Hell

"Thiz iz not a Air-craft !!!"

i curious how this strange announcement happen: typo, misunderstanding, mixup of type engine ?

Chris I have been inside too long, that Mirage Bear tu95 hybrid is growing on me...

Chris I have been inside too long, that Mirage Bear tu95 hybrid is growing on me...
Mmmh, if somebody can put 2 more engines (one on each side mid wingspan ) and we can call it a Mirage Nounours ;)

I could have sworn that there was a post, somewhere on the Forum, which indicated that the “Spey Junior” was once marketed as the “Tay”. Could explain the mix-up.

Other way round, I think. 'Spey Junior' was the initial name, later on the engine was renamed to Tay.

[SMART_A...MODE]
But wouldn't the rear Tyne still need an intake ...?
[/SMART_A...MODE]
[/QUOTE]

[VERY_SMART_A...MODE]
It's ventral, aft of the radome and therefore concealed by a) radome in front elevation and b) tanks/wing engine on side elevation.
[/VERY_SMART_A...MODE]

Other way round, I think. 'Spey Junior' was the initial name, later on the engine was renamed to Tay.

I will have to do a deeper dive into the forum, but there was at least one Rolls engine married to a plane project which went though a name-change before service/during development (Maybe the 60s Trent?). When I referred to the engine being marketed as “Tay”, that was what I meant.

Referring to the link you posted, the modern Tay dates from the 80s, the Spey Junior from the 60s, so they are separate engines, though the Tay has Spey Junior heritage, being developed from its core.

One idea on the topic of the thread, and it is a stretch - was Rolls at any time planning to produce a traditional jet-version of the Tyne?

Well nobody can say that the lockdown isn't keeping us all sane.
The result looks surprisingly Russian. Maybe raise the wing, otherwise the undercarriage will be so tall the crew will need scaffolding to get up to the cockpits.

I think I can hear the screaming of Airbus' lawyers all the way out here in my neck of the woods...

Hmm, I've got a Mirage IV and an A310 in 1/72 (not hard to make into an A330), and I've got a bunch of Tyne nacelles ready for something ---- it's buildable ----

Plus I've already practiced on one push-pull project

Attachments

• Centerline thrust 3.JPG
    Centerline thrust 3.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 50
I present, the Dassault Mirage IV Connerie

If you're going to be silly, might as well be very silly.

Chris

Sometime nicknamed "Sean".
Second configuration was nicknamed "Aretha".
Then they obviously stopped with the idea...

Quel acteur à le premier interprété James Bond au cinéma ? Mamadou ?!

Non non... je voulais donner une réponse mais... ché' une connerie !

Mais oui, Sean Connery, bonne réponse !

I was hoping for a giant blimp to carry it to altitude, but this works for me too.

how about a giant wooden badger and a catapult ?

Meanwhile in the depths of Russia engineers are following this closely. The Russians believe in size so the old Mya (Bounder) is being mated to an Ekranoplan Sea Monster, and numerous Bears are being cannibalised for engines. At which point the feed from Russia Today was blocked by my careworker...

I was hoping for a giant blimp to carry it to altitude, but this works for me too.

how about a giant wooden badger and a catapult ?

Not really, more like "a nice Beaver", then we could get Sharron Stone involved in the Cinema version.................. What? She has got the legs to make a decent catapult.

"Nice beaver !"

(this was lost to French translators, but they got out of it by translating it as "nice furry !" )

Since we are at humor, I would say that with all those windmills it's the perfect inspirational ride for many french presidents.