Mirage F2 and F3

Same as the Mirage F1 A2G, really.
A2A: Magic 1 for self-defense (it was a ground attack aircraft, so probably no '530 SARH medium range AAM, that would be for the F3 and F1 only). Magic 2 in the early 80's, a far more reliable weapon.

-A2G: iron bombs, cluster bombs, Durandal runway-cratering weapon, AS-30 missiles (radio guided, later the laser variant) and AS-37 (ARM).

-Probably AN-52 tactical nukes, too, since OTL Mirage IIIE and Jaguars got them. Later ASMP, since the 2000N got it.

-Exocet was the Aéronavale business, although Dassault would probably integrate it for export (cough, Saddam Iraq).

-There might be a reconnaissance variant, to replace the IIIR - screwing the F1CR in the process.

- And another one with ECM big pods (Boa, Calmars) to dig large holes into the Warsaw Pact radar wall, ahead of the tactical and perhaps even strategic nuclear strike aircraft.

That bird would fill the niche of OTL Mirage IIIE, Jaguars, and later, Mirage F1CT, 2000D and 2000N. In fact it would bring Mirage 2000 D/N *turbofan* and *two-seats* probably 15 years in advance: 1973 instead of 1988.

One very interesting mission would be ECM / ARM. Mirage IIIE and Jaguars not only were single-seaters, but they also lacked thrust to safely carry that beast of missile: the AS-37 Martel. Their pilots did the job nonetheless, but it was no easy shore. The F2 massively powerful TF306 turbofan and two-men crew would be extremely welcome there.

Last edited:
Can't promise that the Mirage F2 will be seen, but check out the French TV Series "The Aeronauts" for contemporary, late1960's Mirage footage. It's also interesting to see the French Airforce from that period.

Nice finger ! CEAT is a state-owned aeronautics laboratory so usually not opened to public. The photographer must work there, or lucky, or maybe it was an open day...

The Mirage F1 looked so cool that Matchbox turned it into a toy.

Attachments

• Vintage-1973-Matchbox-Mirage-F1-RAF-Red-Devils-Jet-Fighter-4.jpg
    Vintage-1973-Matchbox-Mirage-F1-RAF-Red-Devils-Jet-Fighter-4.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 207
  • 2dbe53cf2751b6ef0740065be09f0650.jpg
    2dbe53cf2751b6ef0740065be09f0650.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 237
Beautiful in house model :
maquette-mirageIIIF2-mee.jpg

From this site :
They sell models (I'm not affiliated with them).

Well, as I looked for it on the SPF forum, but I could not find it (I do not remember if it has already been shown on SPF), the layout model of the Mirage F3

in

-Dassault, 50 ans d'aventure aéronautique 1945-1995, les programmes, Carlier-Berger, éditions du chêne, 1996, page 148 (clearer)

-Le Mirage F1 et les Mirage de seconde génération à voilure en flèche, issue 1, Liébert-Buyck, éditions Lela Presse, 2007, page 35 (darker)

Attachments

• Dassault Mirage F3 maquette 1.jpg
    Dassault Mirage F3 maquette 1.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Dassault Mirage F3 maquette 2.jpg
    Dassault Mirage F3 maquette 2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 392
In the next issue of the French monthly magazine, Le Fana de l'aviation (from the free Facebook page of Le Fana) :

Most beautiful fighter.

Well, as I looked for it on the SPF forum, but I could not find it (I do not remember if it has already been shown on SPF), the layout model of the Mirage F3

I will blast open an already opened door (enfoncer une porte ouverte, as we say in French) but - look at how the damn thing looks like a F1 clone !

I can't remember if I asked this before (probably yes, but 2006 is a long time ago) but beside the mockup shown here, were there any F3 prototypes started and unfinished ? How far along did the 01 and 02 went ?

Attachments

• Dassault Mirage F3 3 vues 2.jpg
    Dassault Mirage F3 3 vues 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 412
I can't remember if I asked this before (probably yes, but 2006 is a long time ago) but beside the mockup shown here, were there any F3 prototypes started and unfinished ? How far along did the 01 and 02 went ?

The Carlier-Berger book on Dassault indicates:

In May 1966, the general staff wanted to transform the Mirage F2 into an interception aircraft. This is the Mirage F3 program (...). On October 12, 1966, the director of the CEV wrote to Bruno Claude Vallières: "(...) the Mirage F3 remains the interim equipment, constituting a necessary bridge to be thrown between the current Mirage III E and the Mirage G, then V. "
(...)
By letter of April 17, 1967, the DMA canceled the contracts and amendments for the studies and manufacture of two Mirage F3 airplanes and a static test cell.
(...)
In November 1967, (...) the Mirage F2 / F3 program was then officially stopped.

The Liébert-Buyck book on the Mirage F1 indicates:

On August 29, 1966, the STAé notifies Dassault of amendment n ° 3 to market 65/90129 for the study and construction of the Mirage F3 02 and 03 and a CES (...), the first flights ahead intervene before April 15, 1968 and October 31, 1968.
(...)
The EMAA gives concrete form to its request with program file 1193 / EMAA / BPM / CDT / S of September 27, 1966
(...)
At the start of 1967, most of the primary parts of the F3 02 were produced and the fuselage began to take shape on its frame in the Saint-Cloud prototype workshop, the general progress being of the order of 30%, when, on April 20, 1967, the STAé stopped the work, amendment n ° 5 terminating the contract being notified to Dassault on November 23, 1967.

In the next issue of the French monthly magazine, Le Fana de l'aviation (from the free Facebook page of Le Fana) :

Hello,
I did the Mirage F2 3-views plan of this article in Le Fana, I give you here some high definition drawings (2 thumbnails and then the full version images I delivered to the magazine).
It was difficult for me to draw this plan because I had very few detailed photos. There is a MF2 in display at the CEAT in Toulouse but I did not have the authorization to go there and takes photos. The other difficulty were the numerous "variations" of this aircraft: sometimes they had some specific configurations, then they added other features, and so on and so forth. It was cumbersome to choose which configuration to display!
The chief editor asked me also to imagine the ASMODEE project, with an israeli version of the MF2. I had to draw the profile in camouflage version because it was obvioulsy sexier than an aluminum version. I tried to get inspiration from israelis Mirages IIIs, KFIR and F-16 schemes to obtain something a more realistic representation. I drew an imaginary squadron insignia, rather than taking an existing one. Finally, I modified some tiny details to reflect a production version that would differ a little bit from the prototype configuration.
Enjoy! Of course, should you have questions, comments, I stay available.
Regards
Alain
Preview1.jpg Preview2.jpg

Attachments

• Mirage F2_Livraison Finale.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
  • Mirage F2 Profil israelien Livraison Finale.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing us wonderful drawings.
I think that fuselage underside planview is also fascinating.

Last edited:

Hello,
I did the Mirage F2 3-views plan of this article in Le Fana, I give you here some high definition drawings (2 thumbnails and then the full version images I delivered to the magazine).
It was difficult for me to draw this plan because I had very few detailed photos. There is a MF2 in display at the CEAT in Toulouse but I did not have the authorization to go there and takes photos. The other difficulty were the numerous "variations" of this aircraft: sometimes they had some specific configurations, then they added other features, and so on and so forth. It was cumbersome to choose which configuration to display!
The chief editor asked me also to imagine the ASMODEE project, with an israeli version of the MF2. I had to draw the profile in camouflage version because it was obvioulsy sexier than an aluminum version. I tried to get inspiration from israelis Mirages IIIs, KFIR and F-16 schemes to obtain something a more realistic representation. I drew an imaginary squadron insignia, rather than taking an existing one. Finally, I modified some tiny details to reflect a production version that would differ a little bit from the prototype configuration.
Regards
Alain
View attachment 657159View attachment 657160
Lovely work Alain!

Regards
Pioneer

I second that opinion. Ok the CEAT is a military org but nothing sensitive AFAIK. Plus the thing is visible on Google Earth while the Ailes anciennes / Aeroscopia are well aware it is there and even helping its preservation AFAIK (I e-mailed them a loooong time ago).

Hello,
Regards
Alain
Again outstanding.

The Mirage F2 and Mirage G were so outrageously similar... according to Libébert and Buyck, last flight of the F2 was on May 19, 1969 - after what it was stored in Istres before landing at its present CEAT location.

In fact they were so similar, sometimes I wonder if the F2 could have been "reconstructed" as a second Mirage G. Would have been useful in January 1971 when the -G crashed (and Jean Courau barely ejected from it).

Hello,
Regards
Alain
They look amazing! Beautiful work!

Attachments

• 176786900_4030327647033996_605262477063144801_n.jpg
    176786900_4030327647033996_605262477063144801_n.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 176640704_4030327623700665_6392149291038719880_n.jpg
    176640704_4030327623700665_6392149291038719880_n.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 56

Attachments