• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Miles M52

PMN1

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Given what happened to British aviation, did it loose anything by the M52 not flying?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In practical terms, perhaps it would have given an impetus to achieving supersonic speeds generally. Would probably have given us the world speed record for a time. However as Fairey found out, just being the fastest isn't much of a reward.

LowObservable

Reaction score
I was roundly abused by a senior US aircraft historian for raising the issue of how much the X-1 owed to the M.52... but the thin biconvex wing, mid-set on a bullet-shaped body, and the variable incidence tail (traced to lessons from Spitfire IX transonic dive tests) were on the M.52 when it was briefed to NACA in early 1944, before such features turn up on any known US design.

alertken

Reaction score
did it lose anything by the M52 not flying? No.

Oct.1943: In their industry walkabouts Minister Cripps and Lady Isobel got round to the minnow of Reading and found 2 assets: a can-do attitude (a quote has the sense "fantastic solutions/incredible ideas": M-wings, X-wings - all that is why the Miles Putnam has high value, and is to be re-done by Air-Britain)...and Blossom Miles, who invented Girl-Power in aviation. "What can we do with (her)?" he asked his Chief Executive Sir Wilfrid Freeman, who humoured his boss (and the boss' wife) with: test bed for Whittle's W2/700 and for Miles' razor (Gillette) wing. ("Got away lightly", he thought: when the Crippses lunched at Weybridge the bill had been 300 Windsors).
Feb.1946: (at risk of repetition:) UK broke and at peace. MAP rationing turbine activity in hope something might pass a civil Type Test for Brabazon Committee Types: earning, not consuming money. Miles dilatory on (Brabazon VB) M.60 Marathon, formed in an alien material: RAE/Morien Morgan quote: Miles were "very good at biffing out small cardboard aeroplanes, but..." yet UK relied on them for the DC-3 replacement. Facing a Miles demand for more money, MAP judged they would not produce M.52 research vehicle soon, and that no one wanted it, or its engine. RAF was not clear that thirsty turbines had military value for our modest Tasks. Razor wings have a payload issue, which sent X-1 down a dead end. Such limited value as F-104G delivered was by J79 super-grunt, from 1961.

MAP's Sir Ben Lockspeiser came up with the supersonic hazard line, both to protect Miles' business credibility on M.60, and to shelter Cabinet Minister Cripps from blame for MAP Cripps' squander. If MAP had trickled on, Miles would still have expired in November,1947, still blaming the weather, M.52 probably a glider, void of novel vendor items. Their prime revenue source had become Biro ball pens.

An open issue is the flying tail, which septic-bashers have as siphoned (as an idea, not as hardware) to F-86. This required complex actuators. I question UK vendors' ability, or urge, to produce a one-off diversion. I don't know which fine team had this job on M.52.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Question about Miles M.52 with two tail fins ?

Hi,

in an archive movie about sound barrier,I saw the Miles M.52
with two tail fins,in just a moment,but that make me confuse,
was there any earlier model to Miles M.52 with twin tail fin ?.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
I know there must have been a purpose for creating separate topics on the M.52, but we currently have no less than THREE topics running on the subject and it's kind of complicated to follow... The topic on the book must remain in the "Bookshelf" section, but I believe this here topic has nothing to do in "Aerospace" and must therefore be merged with the one in "Early Projects".

Spark

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Re: Question about Miles M.52 with two tail fins ?

Hi,
They thought of Delta wing version but time issues made them drop that avenue, that was taken up by Convair.
There must have been a version before the the swept wing canard Miles supersonic Airliner?

hesham said:
Hi,

in an archive movie about sound barrier,I saw the Miles M.52
with two tail fins,in just a moment,but that make me confuse,
was there any earlier model to Miles M.52 with twin tail fin ?.

fightingirish

Reaction score
:cool:
Hi folks,
probably your podcast app noticed this episode last week.
Audio: Classic Lecture Series - The Miles M.52 project by Mike Hirst

Miles 1940s supersonic aircraft project could have been the first aircraft to break the sound barrier. Though the project was championed by Sir Frank Whittle, who worked with Miles to supply the engine, and was supported by the scientists at the RAE in Farnborough. However, the reasons surrounding the UK Government's secretive cancellation of the project has long been a mystery.

In this lecture to the Royal Aeronautical Society's Historical Group, Mike Hirst explores the technical and political sides of the project, from its inception in 1943 to its cancellation in 1948. His lecture is followed by a discussion by many of the people who were there at the time, including from Miles Aircraft, the Ministry, the RAE and the project's test pilot, Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown.

The lecture took place on 4 November 2004. The podcast was edited by Mike Stanberry FRAeS and it was digitised thanks to a grant from the Royal Aeronautical Society Foundation.

National Aerospace Library
23 August 2019
Link: https://www.aerosociety.com/news/audio-classic-lecture-series-the-miles-m52-project-by-mike-hirst/

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Tony Buttler authored a most excellent book on the M.52 and all the goings on before, during and after the program. Well worth adding to one's library.

Enjoy the Day! Mark