About the Mig-31K
One thing has been bugging me though
Since it has to carry Kinzhal, it is understand able that they have to remove the R-37 APU in the fuselage for the Kinzhal launcher, but then again, it still has space under the wing right?. Why also remove the option of carry air to air missile there?.
6CBCAC2D-53CF-4198-A41D-C89D23A5B2D4.jpeg

Believe is something one does in the church.

No $hit Sherlock. Maybe I should have just said, "just how much vodka were they drinking when they decided to completely disarm the aircraft". :rolleyes:
Well, that would be the extent and the depth of the analysis i would expect from you indeed. Did you type such an excellent hot take with a hamburger or AR-15 or both? :)

Last edited:
About the Mig-31K
One thing has been bugging me though
Since it has to carry Kinzhal, it is understand able that they have to remove the R-37 APU in the fuselage for the Kinzhal launcher, but then again, it still has space under the wing right?. Why also remove the option of carry air to air missile there?.
Technically AKU and for R-33. Yes, AKU's for R-33's are completely gone as are the hardpoints for pylons. IRST is gone too. The reasons it doesnt carry self defense weapons is the same reason Tu-160 isnt armed with self defense - what is the need when you can literally fire your missile(s) from thousands of km's away from any air defense? Weight and range were the bigger factors than any "need" for self defense capabilities.

This might have been answered earlier just couldn't find it. Are they using older airframes that had not been upgraded to the BM standard? That would make sense as I believe they still have some airframes in storage and they recently resumed building the engines for the mig 31.

Believe is something one does in the church.

No $hit Sherlock. Maybe I should have just said, "just how much vodka were they drinking when they decided to completely disarm the aircraft". :rolleyes:
Well, that would be the extent and the depth of the analysis i would expect from you indeed. Did you type such an excellent hot take with a hamburger or AR-15 or both? :)
A burger in one hand and an AR in the other. My point still stands.

Unsure where else to put as it didn't seem worth its own topic, could this FBW MiG-31 have implications for PAK-DP?

Russia is carrying out state trials of the upgraded MiG-31 fighter-interceptor with a fly-by-wire control system. As the Sokol aviation enterprise reported, "there is an option of upgrading this aircraft where we switch from the mechanical to the fly-by-wire control system, which yields a host of computers mounted on the plane."

"The option with the fly-by-wire control system is already being implemented: now this variant of the upgraded interceptor is undergoing trials," the plant’s management said.

The fighters’ major repairs will provide for their reliable and fault-free operation, the Sokol managers stressed. In the course of the fighter’s upgrade, its onboard equipment will be completely replaced. The combat plane will be also checked for faults to replace corrosion sections that may account for 15-50%. All the wiring and rubber pieces will be completely replaced along with the fighter’s canopy. Foreign components on MiG-31BM were fully replaced by domestic items.
The combat efficiency of MiG-31 fighter-interceptors will rise about threefold after their major repairs and upgrade, the Sokol aviation enterprise management reported to the deputy defense minister.
The fighters’ major repairs will provide for their reliable and fault-free operation, the Sokol managers stressed.
"Meanwhile, the upgrade, in which the onboard radio-electronic equipment is fully replaced with advanced technology envisages using the latest air-launched weapons, which will boost the plane’s combat efficiency by about three times," the Sokol management said.

Unsure where else to put as it didn't seem worth its own topic, could this FBW MiG-31 have implications for PAK-DP?
Some could interpret it as bad news, in the sense that it shows the MiG-31 is probably going to see many years of service yet, I think it could be good news, since:
1. MiG-31 and PAK-DP should not be mutually exclusive IMHO
2. MiG would need an intermediate step to develop into PAK-DP and starting now with this in depth modernization of the -31 may indicate things are actually moving

On the other hand, the FBW applied to the MiG-31 may solve stability or controlability issues and allow an eventual "BM2" version to do their normal interceptor role and still be able to carry Kinzhal or other heavy attack ordnance, who knows.... it would make a lot of sense in any case.

Hmmmm....imagine a completely revised and modernised electronics in a MiG31.....

A seriously potent possibility right there.

AFAIK 'Red 06" has been flying with FBW replacing the control rods for ~5 years now?
Do you have more details about that? Did they say, what the plans with that experiment were?

Hmmmm....imagine a completely revised and modernised electronics in a MiG31.....

A seriously potent possibility right there.
Indeed. The high speed and high capacity airframe is there and is still unmatched, with current systems technology it would be even better. A modern AESA with that aperture would be a fearsome radar, and even in the propulsive department there might be options worthy of exploring. For instance, we know the engine of the PAK-DP should use the core of the izd. 30, and by the thrust levels the new PAK-FA engine should be above the D-30F6, so I wonder what high speed / high altitude modifications would be necessary and whether a supercruising MiG-31 would be possible based on a relatively simple modification of the izd. 30. That could allow to increase the combat radius of the plane massively, even when admittedly the footprint of those engines in the fuselage should be quite different in almost all regards...

UEC_2018_002_EN.png

Mig-31 platform is a low G platform. This does give it less tear and wear stress on the Airframe itself. Hense longer life.
Makes perfect sense to keep upgrading this bird.
The usual suspect can keep laughing at all these VVS modernization programs.
If they only knew.. I'm not laughing.

Would think they can reduce some weight by now, improve the engines. Making the Foxhound better at doing what it already does very good.

and this "minus" weight was immediately exchanged to additional electronics, fuel, weapons, structure reinforcement, more powerful engines, ect

show me who in the current jet fighter world was reduced MTO weight of next serial model

Last edited:
yeah.. but does the Mig-31K have a lot of sensors? Some say it even have ditched the Radar..
As for the conversion from Analoge to Digital FBW, you would think they have thrown out a lot of pipes, hydraulics that now only require some cables

As for the conversion from Analoge to Digital FBW, you would think they have thrown out a lot of pipes, hydraulics that now only require some cables
no one will do such serious implantation without additional upgrade other systems and structures of jet (plus weight as a result)

but does the Mig-31K have a lot of sensors? Some say it even have ditched the Radar
choose what you like:
1) its rumors 2) too heavy missile for stock jet

Last edited:
AFAIK 'Red 06" has been flying with FBW replacing the control rods for ~5 years now?
Do you have more details about that? Did they say, what the plans with that experiment were?

Honestly it's been years and I don't really remember much, just a guy on Paralay's (I think) posting photos of 06 Red in the shop and mentioning control rods, bell cranks, etc were being swapped for modern cables. Then around the same time an "insider" (might have been the same guy) posted in the comment section, along with some photos, re. BM2 upgrade and how it was supposed to go significantly beyond current BM.

I'm not even sure it was all accurate, that plane might have been part of MiG-31K programmer for all I know. "Insiders" often BS a lot.

Unfortunately Russian gov has become stricter and more aggressive about people leaking classified data online since then.

@flanker might remember more about it.

EDIT: Found the original mention, wasn't Paralay's but airforce.ru:

Last edited:
Unfortunately Russian gov has become stricter and more aggressive about people leaking classified data online since then.

Yes, for us and OSINTers, but their issues with leaks and general opsec have been mindblowing over the past decade or so, probably without parallell among major militaries, so I'm not surprised at the crackdowns.

Thanks @TR1

I will research in that thread, it looks very interesting indeed

Maybe MiG was proposing a thoroughly modernized MiG-31 as a first approach to the PAK-DP program? From what has been discussed in the net, this would have been rejected by the VKS, but that does not mean that such approach cannot work as a transitional phase like the Su-35 was for PAK-FA, reducing technical risks for the design bureau and giving the VKS a B plan in case things don't run smooth in the program.

One regiment is two sqd or 24 planes, though apparently they plan to move back to three sqd. regiments

The fuselage structural failure is what looks like to be the aftermath of a stall or even a flat spin initiated close to the ground. It has signs of a low forward speed impact, bank and a nose up contact (nose tip is intact). The slam effect following rear fuselage initial contact is what can explain the forward separation behind the cockpit frame, a weak structural point of any fighter like aircraft (section change and low fuselage integrity due to the open section of the cockpit area).
You can also see that the wingtip is gone (but the stabilizer is intact), the starboard inlet is damaged (port seems intact) and the main landing gear well is open. The snow layer mask for us any sign of a frwd speed during impact, just like following an aborted takeoff or failed approach. Flaps are also deployed. The rear periscope is also deployed. Hence a landing or takeoff mishap seems to be probable.
Notice also that no pylons can be seen on the aircraft, pointing to an airframe routinely flown without armaments or that any signs of it have ben duly removed (or a Kinjal carrier?!).
Regarding the crew, it doesn't appear as if the pilot/trainee left the plane (cockpit closed). The back seater/instructor cockpit being totally mangled doesn't leave any traces if there was any attempted escape from that station. However, the presence of the canopy would also preclude an ejection... If those pilots made it alive, this is certainly a miracle.

Last edited:
Follow on to Tomcat ViP's analysis. It would appear that the front seater came out the starboard window since it is likely the canopy failed to function due to damage. The rear seat occupant if able appears to have been able to unbuckle from the seat and make their way to the ground over the remains of the aircraft. Whether either of them did it under their own power, or with assistance will likely remain unknown.

Some places state it failed to Take off, and they aborted, run out of Tarmac..
But it could easily be upon landing the thing and run out of Tarmac.

Mig-31 be Heavy as no other.. could be Failed breaks, engine trouble etc etc..

It veered to the left during take off due to some unspecified mechanical issue. WSO got out first (note he had the floor literally go under him...) and then helped the pilot out.

It veered to the left during take off due to some unspecified mechanical issue. WSO got out first (note he had the floor literally go under him...) and then helped the pilot out.

Good to hear that both the pilot and WSO are okay, what will happen to the MiG-31 though?

Apparently it was 92 Red MiG-31K
unknown.png

This might have been answered earlier just couldn't find it. Are they using older airframes that had not been upgraded to the BM standard? That would make sense as I believe they still have some airframes in storage and they recently resumed building the engines for the mig 31.

This was my understanding - these were old recycled airframes that didn't receive upgrades, not updated interceptors. But I don't have a source for that; I believe I read it in a post not in an article.