The network has a video of the landing of the MiG-31 from which kerosene flows like a river. Then there was no fire. So this is not the first such case

The network has a video of the landing of the MiG-31 from which kerosene flows like a river. Then there was no fire. So this is not the first such case

Wow. I thought that was a fuel dump when I watched it land, but the post landing images make it clear that's not the case. A lot of Soviet vintage fighters used the outter skin of the aircraft as the fuel tank, with no other layer in-between, as a weight saving measure. Is that perhaps the case in the MiG-31 as well?

It is called a welded "tank compartment" (бак-отсек)
Steel cooks very well and usually there are no problems with it. I suspect that the pipeline is leaking in the extreme video

The SR-71 used something similar, and as a result it leaked fuel depending on the temperature of the airframe because of how much the plane's fuselage flexed under various heat loads. It apparently leaked like spaghetti strainer even during take off. The very high flash point of JP-7 made this an acceptable bug. As a result I believe you can see flames randomly ignite behind the aircraft as it takes off when the leaked fuel hits the already burnt exhaust stream and ignites. I've been told it was kind of a fireworks show to watch an SR-71 take off.

It is called a welded "tank compartment" (бак-отсек)
Steel cooks very well and usually there are no problems with it. I suspect that the pipeline is leaking in the extreme video

The SR-71 used something similar, and as a result it leaked fuel depending on the temperature of the airframe because of how much the plane's fuselage flexed under various heat loads. It apparently leaked like spaghetti strainer even during take off. The very high flash point of JP-7 made this an acceptable bug. As a result I believe you can see flames randomly ignite behind the aircraft as it takes off when the leaked fuel hits the already burnt exhaust stream and ignites. I've been told it was kind of a fireworks show to watch an SR-71 take off.
The Blackbird leaked like that because no sealant existing at the time could tolerate both the temperatures and stretching of the airframe.

Interesting perspective regarding sizes of the various types.

Edit: Is that the Mig 31M at the top of the middle row?
It looks like it has the reduced size wing fences compared to the Mig 31 parked next to it.
Edit 2: Perhaps that's a Mig 25 below it, going by the wingtip rails, smaller spine, and shorter engine nozzles...?

Yes, definitely.
Wonder where the Mig 31M is now?

Last edited:

Attachments

• 31M.JPG
    31M.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Photo of My favorite piggy or King Kong?
that can't be found really this days on the web ( cause the restrictions etc.) it's funny how little do we know about Izdelie 05 05m
and 05bm ( aka mig-41 ) as one kid with a mask once said there are genetics of an interceptor that can't be ignored so...
Everyone for the past 30 years seams to copy paste the same information over and over again but in the end of the day it's the lost first 5th gen fighter of the Soviet/Russian era not MFI nor PAKFA that's the answer to the whole stealth mania that started in the 80's a b737-200 flying at Mach 3

Ps. if you look closer at airport ispitatelni (its in the links of paralay post of Google maps ) you may find that something is missing

Attachments

• Mig-31m05040333.png
    Mig-31m05040333.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Photo of My favorite piggy or King Kong?
that can't be found really this days on the web ( cause the restrictions etc.) it's funny how little do we know about Izdelie 05 05m
and 05bm ( aka mig-41 ) as one kid with a mask once said there are genetics of an interceptor that can't be ignored so...
Everyone for the past 30 years seams to copy paste the same information over and over again but in the end of the day it's the lost first 5th gen fighter of the Soviet/Russian era not MFI nor PAKFA that's the answer to the whole stealth mania that started in the 80's a b737-200 flying at Mach 3

Ps. if you look closer at airport ispitatelni (its in the links of paralay post of Google maps ) you may find that something is missing
Gives off a Yak-41 vibe