Mikoyan E-721?

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Well , i know that if something would have emerged about this project so far , it would surely have been posted here ...one can only hope to something being released about this mysterious and terribly interesting project ( Mikoyan PAK-FA submition ,right ?), on Paralay's site it is mentioned that this project draws heavily on the MFI experience, it was suposed to have two 10,000kgf class engines( VKS-10 maby?), and a normal TOW of 19 tons ( i hope i got that right- writing from memory ).

Also on Paralay's site ( forum), there are sketches of an "LFI" that looks like a cross between a Mig-29 and an F-22...i wonder if this has anything to do with the E-721, or it is entirely different , maby canard , or tailess, or ...well, god knows!

I'm sure it would be extremely interesting to see any aditional info on this project, when they surface.

Thanks. :)

in 2009 MiG has spent about RUB 4.049 mln for E-721 (~$ 130 612), the same sum was paid to subcontractors
for reference, for 1.44 prototype they have spent RUB 70.378 mln (~$ 2 270 258) in 2008 (don't ask me what for)

In my opinion Mikoyan corporation is prepearing the Mig 1.44 prototype for testing the technologies which are planning to be used on the future Mig E-721. And the money which is spent on the E-721 was for starting the early design works.These are just my opinions ???

And if they paid the subcontractors, the project should be on its way!

Matej said:
...and for what customer?

Probably preperations for the light weight 5th generation fighter program for late 2015-2016. For a more affordable 5th gen. fighter for the Russian Air Force and foreign customers.It was stated by the UAC officials. After the PAK-FA program next stage an light weight 5th gen. fighter.

medal64 said:
Matej said:
...and for what customer?

Probably preperations for the light weight 5th generation fighter program for late 2015-2016. For a more affordable 5th gen. fighter for the Russian Air Force and foreign customers.It was stated by the UAC officials. After the PAK-FA program next stage an light weight 5th gen. fighter.

When was it stated? As i have understood it, there was talk about lighter 5-gen ac before 2008 etc, but since then, it seems that ambition is dead...

medal64 said:
It was stated by the UAC officials.

In other words, former MiG managers you said? :)

In my opinion without the money from the India, current Russia is not able to finish the development of the PAK FA and all its systems (engines, radar, avionics) properly. So it is impossible for them to afford any other 5th generation fighter. They had the possibility to decide, if they go with the F-22 or JSF class aircraft. They decided for the PAK FA and thats their future for another 40 years.

Matej said:
medal64 said:
It was stated by the UAC officials.

In other words, former MiG managers you said? :)

In my opinion without the money from the India, current Russia is not able to finish the development of the PAK FA and all its systems (engines, radar, avionics) properly. So it is impossible for them to afford any other 5th generation fighter. They had the possibility to decide, if they go with the F-22 or JSF class aircraft. They decided for the PAK FA and thats their future for another 40 years.

No he was UAC President Alexey Fedorov :) And also I think they have enough money to finish the PAK-FA without Indian money, already they will (Russian version). Also in my opinion 2015-2016 is a good time for a new fighter and probably the manufacturer will be the Mikoyan corporation.If they want to give the Mikoyan Corporation a future ;)

Well, i don't even know if this is the right topic for it , but re-reading some articles on Paralay.com , i found what is to me a very interesting bit of info (which obviously i missed before ) : it seems that Mikoyan submission for PAK-FA ( MFI-2003?), while retaining the canard layout , abandoned the ventral intake and instead went to side intakes! Also the stealth characteristics were ( much ? ) improved, all armament being carried internally etc . Engines, aparently Izdeliye-117 type (like T-50).

Now can anyone but me think of J-20 now? (no, not intending to bash the chinese or anything like that).

Just talking outta my backside here , maybe that's why everything about MFI and follow ons is so hush-hush , some secret deals with the chinese etc etc ... of course, it may also be that J-20 has absolutely nothing to do with Mikoyan MFI-2003 or whatever...who knows...

There must be some terribly interesting dusty models in a locked room somewhere at Mikoyan, that's for sure ...

On the paralay site you can find a CG image of what looks like a stealthified, tailplaneless MiG-29, called the I-2000. On Matej's site you can find a drawing of MiG izdelije 1.27 PAK FA which is a far cry from 1.44, or even 1.42, with no canards, different shape of the vertical tails and ventral, but rearranged intakes. If you speak Slovak, you can even analyze the technical data( length:18 m wingspan: 12.5 m, height 5 m, max. takeoff weight 21.2 t, engines: Klimov VK-10M, max. speed: 2200 km/h, ceiling: 19 km) for the two variants(one being a flying wing) of the MiG 1.27 2002 PAK FA submission. Obviously, the data are mere design calculations, and what the true designation or shape of the design was will probably remain classified for some time to come.

Foxglove said:
On the paralay site you can find a CG image of what looks like a stealthified, tailplaneless MiG-29, called the I-2000.

Almost all (but not all) of that studies are related to the Mukhamedov work.

Foxglove said:
On Matej's site you can find a drawing of MiG izdelije 1.27 PAK FA which is a far cry from 1.44, or even 1.42, with no canards, different shape of the vertical tails and ventral, but rearranged intakes.

No, you cant find it there for at least five years. The drawing of the izdelije 1.27 was a pure speculation. If I remember correctly I simply added more art and details to the simplified sketch, made by Overscan. Call it the estimated guess, based on almost no information, available in that time.

I was wondering why sometimes when i go to one of the subcategories( PAK-FA, 1.27 etc. ) i got the message "Under contruction "...was hoping for something very nice suddenly showing up there. :p

Oh well , maybe one day ...keep up the good work Matej , that's a trully great site you created there.

I think here.
From the book "MiG. Flight Through Time":

159983546574165580.jpg

Lower:

image.php

Some more infos on that book... and from that book? Thanks!
ISBN?

It looks awesome hopefully will be soon an English version

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks suspiciously similiar to the fake "MiG 2000 Stealth" concept appeared in USA in the middle of 80's....

1600354671511.png

1600354695932.png

[...]It looks awesome hopefully will be soon an English version
New two-volume 1100+ pages edition prepared for MiG anniversary by in-house historians Yevgeniy Arsenyev, Nikolai Valuev and Yuri Polushkin. Limited time pre-order price. Goes to print in April.
Books are heavy (6+ kg) so be prepared for $$$ S&H.
https://store.alexv.ru/
(No, they will never be translated. Don't ask.)