MiG Lightweight Fighter Projects of the 70s/80s

thank you, Hesham,
And for Paralay, I don’t think, that your drawing is project of real aircraft fighter, maybe i'm wrong?

Presumably then the izdeliye 33' had origins going further back into the early 1970s then?
The wing looks very similar to that of the izdeliye 7-31 with that narrow LERX (the 7-23 is also similar but has a much larger LERX). I presume there is some cross-over here between the Mig-21 and 23 family developments?

Presumably then the izdeliye 33' had origins going further back into the early 1970s then?

No my dear Hood,

it was begun to study by MiG in early 1980s.
Incorrect. This "Project 33" is from the mid 1970s and was based on the MiG-23 with a new fixed wing with LERX. It was planned to use an R-100D engine (further developed R-35) and a "Коrall" (Coral) weapons system and the weapons of the later model MiG-23s (GSh-23, K-23/K-24/K-60/K-13M1) with the addition of K-14 and K-73.

Incidentally this is exactly what most people expected the MiG-29 to be.

Incorrect. This "Project 33" is from the mid 1970s and was based on the MiG-23 with a new fixed wing with LERX. It was planned to use an R-100D engine (further developed R-35) and a "Коrall" (Coral) weapons system and the weapons of the later model MiG-23s (GSh-23, K-23/K-24/K-60/K-13M1) with the addition of K-14 and K-73.

Incidentally this is exactly what most people expected the MiG-29 to be.

Thanks for confirming that information Paul.
MiG certainly seem to have tinkering with LERX throughout the 1970s on their legacy delta and swept wing designs.

Skimming through some of these old threads. I stumbled onto this one. I vaguely recall a story that the "MiG-33" model was an idea MiG kicked around to propose to General Dynamics for joint development just after the collapse of the Soviet Union. That was a strange time when for a brief moment such Russian-American cooperation seemed possible. The story was that this model was placed prominently in the MiG design bureau museum, as a conversation starter for a visiting delegation of high-level General Dynamics officials. The story goes that instead of sparking a thoughtful conversation about working together with MiG to develop this little export fighter, the General Dynamics visitors made an off-hand derisive comment in passing about the MiG design being an F-16 knock-off. That flip attitude infuriated the still proud MiG OKB leadership, squashing all thoughts of their working with these stuffed-shirt and pompous Americans. I can't remember the exact source of that story, but to me it rings true of the time.

Just a small ask, i wonder if anyone has saved the picture of the Izdeliye 33 that looks like a fixed wing MiG-23 that Paralay posted earlier, it seems it dissapeared from here and for the life of me i can't find it on my computer, i know i must have saved it!

Thank you

Just a small ask, i wonder if anyone has saved the picture of the Izdeliye 33 that looks like a fixed wing MiG-23 that Paralay posted earlier, it seems it dissapeared from here and for the life of me i can't find it on my computer, i know i must have saved it!

Thank you
It was intentionally deleted by a moderator.

Thanks for clarifying that, would you or anyone else have perhaps the picture's file name (i tried the attachment number as seen in Paralay's post but that didn't return any results), perhaps i can try to find it like that on my computer?

MiG-33-further development of the MiG-29, probably the MiG-29M3 with RD-43 engines

setgh3678.jpg

MiG-35 - 1.44 / 1.42

Was it built ?.

MiG-33-further development of the MiG-29, probably the MiG-29M3 with RD-43 engines

setgh3678.jpg

MiG-35 - 1.44 / 1.42
Do you have any more information or sources for this version? Been on a bit of a MiG-29 kick lately and want to include this in an alternate history timeline I'm writing.

Back
Top Bottom