MiG-29 and its modifications

lancer21

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Been browsing thru various books about the Mig-29 ,and as we know the 9.13 fatback introduced among others two underwing 1150l drop tanks ...i have seen in mr.Gordon's Mig-29 book a pic of a Mig-29 with FOUR R-27s under the wings, which made me think , is the 9.13 able to carry 2 underwing drop tanks, two R-27s on midwing pylons and 2 WVR weapons ? was it cleared for this configuration ?( i'm asking , because i dont remember seeing a 9.13 with such a loadout so far ....)

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

Normally it is not possible to attach the APU-470 to middle pylon attachment points as the spacing of APU-470 is too large, but with special wing adapter it is possible. Never seen it around except Iraqi 9.12 for the first time.

Attachments

• chri&mig.jpg
    chri&mig.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 517
Iraqis also mounted PTB-800 fuel tanks, originally for Su-25 and mounted it under few of their Migs, the ones having the capability are distinguished by having a pipe looking thing between the Edge of the Wing and the Canopy !

Two MiG-29 fighters of the Mongolian air force after the haul from Russia. Military airfield Nalikh. 11/15/2019

According to the Mongolian media, on November 15, 2019, two MiG-29 fighters arrived at the military airfield Nalai near the capital of Mongolia, Ulan Bator, transferred by the Russian Federation to Mongolia from the presence of the Russian Air Force.

The solemn ceremony of handing over the aircraft to the Mongolian side will be held on November 26, 2019 on the day of the 95th anniversary of the proclamation of the Mongolian People's Republic.

September 3, 2019 during the visit of the President of the Russian Federation V.V. Putin to Mongolia countries signed an intergovernmental protocol on the renewal of the agreement on the provision of Mongolia military-technical assistance at no cost. The agreement was signed on March 3, 2004.

Vladimir Putin, who was on a visit to Ulan Bator, said that military-technical cooperation between the Russian Federation and Mongolia is an important factor in stability and security in the Asian region.

Also, Mongolian bloggers write that up to this point in the arsenal of the country's air force there were only a few helicopters. But now Mongolia can exercise control over its airspace and, if necessary, force intruders to land.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3844109.html

A few words about what was said during the meeting with Nikolai Nikolaevich Buntin, in the recent past, the Chief Designer of the MIG.

1. In August, the Preliminary Opinion on the MiG-35 was signed with a recommendation to launch the series.

2. Lukhovitsy by its capacities are ready to produce up to 24 aircraft per year - MiG-29M / M2, MiG-35, MiG-29K / KUB.

3. The MIG for MiG-35 has 41 subcontractors - a developer of new products, that is, those for the creation of which OCDs were required. And there are hundreds of allied people ...

4. The main subcontractor for the glider is Sokol (Nizhny Novgorod). The “banner of labor" as a production site no longer exists.

5. For export and for the Russian Air Force, the MiG-35 will be offered with a radar from the Phazotron AESA

6. The unification of single- and double-seaters, implemented on machines of extreme years, is fully and completely approved by both the Customer and industry.

[those. my point of view that this was due to the limited capabilities of MIG in the early to mid-2000s is not confirmed. There were much more serious reasons not to drive, in fact, two full-fledged OCD - single and double cars, as was the case with the MiG-29 “9.12” and the MiG-29UB “9.51”].

https://glav.su/blog/34420/1405757/

1574486214342.png

hmm I don't read French well
but I think this article is saying Algeria received some MiG-29Ms recently

Nice pic:

j6545oBQW9M.jpg

Maybe the future single-seat MiG-29 will look like this ! (credit for the basic drawing to its owner, I just modified it)
Mongolian MiG-29A (9-12A) (21 red) (modified by F.L.).jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the six Mongolian MiG-29UB. Some of them were formerly used by Aerobatic team "Strizhi" :
"10 red", here fitted with R-73 & R-60 missile launchers.
Mongolian MiG-29UB (10 red).png

"12 red"
Mongolian MiG-29UB (12 red & two more) on parking.jpg

"18 red" delivred to Mongolian AF on 15 November 2019 with "50 red" during President Putin visit.
Mongolian MiG-29UB (18 red) at Nalayh AB (15 November 2019).png

"50 red" second MiG delivred during Russian President visit on 15 November 2019.
Mongolian MiG-29UB (50 red) at Nalayh AB (15 November 2019) (1).jpg

"70 red" ex-RuAF "RF-92765".
Mongolian MiG-29UB (70 red) on ground.jpg

"88 yellow", ex-RuAF "RF-92763" also fitted with R-60 & R-73 IR missile launchers.
Mongolian MiG-29UB (88 yellow & 12 red).jpg

Last edited:
For those who read Mongolian... ;)

Unfortunately, I only know Classical Mongolian (I attended a Mongolian course by my professor, one of the world's leading Altaists and Fennougrists two years ago), but the beginning of the title reads "In the blue sky of Mongolia, MiG-29UB..."

Unfortunately, I only know Classical Mongolian (I attended a Mongolian course by my professor, one of the world's leading Altaists and Fennougrists two years ago), but the beginning of the title reads "In the blue sky of Mongolia, MiG-29UB..."
It was a little joke, can be read with a translator. Have you ever been in Mongolia ?
The Air Force personnel of the Armed Forces of Mongolia successfully completed their first independent test flight with the MiG-29UB training and combat fighter aircraft yesterday.

MiG-29UB fighter pilots graduated from Aviation University of Krasnodar, Russia in 2011. This year, they transferred to the Aviation University and fully completed the theoretical and practical training of pilots, engineers and technicians, thus, for the first time, Mongolian soldiers flew the MiG-29UB aircraft into the blue sky.

On September 23, 1970, by the order of the Minister of Defense of the Republic of Korea, the decision was made to establish the first fighter squadron of the MAA. Since 1993, when the MiG-21UM was flying, the sound of a fighter plane has not been heard in the blue sky of Mongolia.

The MiG-29UB training and combat fighter aircraft will be used by the Armed Forces of our country and will be able to maintain the security of the national airspace, protect important state and military objects from potential air attacks, and destroy air enemies in remote conditions.

Source: "Soyombo" newspaper

It was a little joke, can be read with a translator. Have you ever been in Mongolia ?
The Air Force personnel of the Armed Forces of Mongolia successfully completed their first independent test flight with the MiG-29UB training and combat fighter aircraft yesterday.

MiG-29UB fighter pilots graduated from Aviation University of Krasnodar, Russia in 2011. This year, they transferred to the Aviation University and fully completed the theoretical and practical training of pilots, engineers and technicians, thus, for the first time, Mongolian soldiers flew the MiG-29UB aircraft into the blue sky.

On September 23, 1970, by the order of the Minister of Defense of the Republic of Korea, the decision was made to establish the first fighter squadron of the MAA. Since 1993, when the MiG-21UM was flying, the sound of a fighter plane has not been heard in the blue sky of Mongolia.

The MiG-29UB training and combat fighter aircraft will be used by the Armed Forces of our country and will be able to maintain the security of the national airspace, protect important state and military objects from potential air attacks, and destroy air enemies in remote conditions.

Source: "Soyombo" newspaper
Unfortunately, I have not, but when my father was young (some years before he moved to Finland and roughly a decade before my birth) and worked as a curator at the Chinese national museum he participated at a two-week riding trip from Baotou to Hohhot and got to know some of the local Mongols quite well (My patrilinear ancestors were Uyghur officers in the Manchu emperor Qianlong's army who were moved to the eastern province of Zhejiang as a promotion after participating in the crushing of the Dzhungar Mongol rebellion in the Ili region and the Zhungars' subsequent genocide. During the nearly two centuries between this and my grandfather's moving to Beijing in the 1950's, my family from the father's side was unfortunately totally sinicised.). My professor, who is professor emeritus of East Asian languages and cultures in Helsinki has, however, been to both Inner and Outer Mongolia, Amdo and Manchuria several times, and speaks both Khalkha and Chakhar quite fluently and even rediscovered the speakers of Khamnigan Mongol and Evenki during a field trip to Manchuria in the 1980's. I'm personally more of a sinologist (I am researching Old and Middle Chinese phonology, Chinese dialectology and Sino-Tibetan historical linguistics) and a turkologist (I am currently reconstructing the phonology and lexicon of Proto-Turkic as my MA thesis) than a mongolist or a tungusologist (though I have also studied some Manchu)

Anyways, I find it very interesting that a country of such a small population (3/4 of world's Mongols and even the clear majority of the speakers of different Mongolic languages actually live on the Chinese side of the border and a significant part of the Mongols, namely Buryats and Kalmyks live in Russia) and a rather impoverished economy as Mongolia can maintain an air force with such relatively modern fighters as MiG-29. One should not underestimate the martial qualities of the Mongols!

Topi said:
Unfortunately, I have not, but when my father was young (some years before he moved to Finland and roughly a decade before my birth) and worked as a curator at the Chinese national museum he participated at a two-week riding trip from Baotou to Hohhot and got to know some of the local Mongols quite well (My patrilinear ancestors were Uyghur officers in the Manchu emperor Qianlong's army who were moved to the eastern province of Zhejiang as a promotion after participating in the crushing of the Dzhungar Mongol rebellion in the Ili region and the Zhungars' subsequent genocide. During the nearly two centuries between this and my grandfather's moving to Beijing in the 1950's, my family from the father's side was unfortunately totally sinicised.). My professor, who is professor emeritus of East Asian languages and cultures in Helsinki has, however, been to both Inner and Outer Mongolia, Amdo and Manchuria several times, and speaks both Khalkha and Chakhar quite fluently and even rediscovered the speakers of Khamnigan Mongol and Evenki during a field trip to Manchuria in the 1980's. I'm personally more of a sinologist (I am researching Old and Middle Chinese phonology, Chinese dialectology and Sino-Tibetan historical linguistics) and a turkologist (I am currently reconstructing the phonology and lexicon of Proto-Turkic as my MA thesis) than a mongolist or a tungusologist (though I have also studied some Manchu)
Anyways, I find it very interesting that a country of such a small population (3/4 of world's Mongols and even the clear majority of the speakers of different Mongolic languages actually live on the Chinese side of the border and a significant part of the Mongols, namely Buryats and Kalmyks live in Russia) and a rather impoverished economy as Mongolia can maintain an air force with such relatively modern fighters as MiG-29. One should not underestimate the martial qualities of the Mongols !
Thank you, very interesting, your last sentence seems very right. I find that one often underestimates the value of a country by its number of inhabitants whereas it is their value that counts.
In view of the studies you are conducting, what made you interested by aviation ?

I succeeded in tracing the Mongolian MiG-29UBs. Some of them were previously used by the "Strizhi" aerobatic team of the Russian Air Force.

Mongolian MiG-29UB (88 red, RF-92763) over Buyant Ukhaa (2022) still wearing RuAF roundel.
Mongolian MiG-29UB (88 red, RF-92763) over Buyant Ukhaa (2022) still wearing RuAF marking.jpg
Mongolian MiG-29UB (88, 12 & 70 red) at Buyant-Ukhaa (10 July 2022)
Mongolian MiG-29UB (88, 12 & 70 red) at Buyant-Ukhaa (10 July 2022).jpg

Nice picture, thanks for sharing!
With this hump, located behind cockpit, MiG-29 reminds me F/A-18 in similar foreshortening.

CFT basically. Unlike equivalents on the F-16 and F-15 it is a permanent installation though.
I understand, that conformal fuel tanks are redefine the aircraft visual shape. And MiG-29 dramatically changed in this version in comparison to usual configurations.
By the way (hope, this wouldn't be too much off-topic) - Blue Angels' F/A-18 in similar in-flight position:
1670490128911.png
"Hump" on the back is remarkable, isn't it?

In a potentially major reinforcement of Ukraine’s air combat capability, Slovakia’s Foreign and European Affairs Minister Ratislav Káčer has announced his country is preparing to transfer Soviet-made Mikoyan MiG-29 fighter jets to the Ukrainian Air Force in coordination with the United States.

“We have not yet handed [Ukraine] the MiG-29s. But we are ready to do it. We are talking with our NATO partners about how to do it,” Káčer told local news agency Interfax Ukraine. “And … we had a very meaningful conversation with [Ukraine’s] president. My defense minister explained to [the Ukrainian] president how we can do this. And I think that, in the coming weeks, a Ukrainian delegation will come to Slovakia, and we will work together with our American friends to make this reality.”

A very interesting article about the Moldavian MiG-29.

Does anyone know what this early production MiG-29 (32 blue) (note the ventral fins) does in the USA, and where it comes from ? Kyrgyzstan, or one of the Moldavian (9-12) ? MiG-29 (9-12) (09 red) & Mig-29 (early) (32 blue) at Quincy - Baldwin Field (14 June 2015).jpg mig-29a_3.jpg

Last edited:
The surviving MiG-29s of the "Ukrainian Falcon" are dwindling, it seems that one of them has been shot down. Contrary to what this article says they had been taken out of storage as early as 2014.
It is interesting to note that the MiG-29s (55, 54 & 05 blue) in the following pictures are wearing the "Ukrainian Falcons" paint scheme in effect from 1996 to 1999. The stripes on the tail are horizontal.
On the 1999/2002 scheme they are oblique.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what this early production MiG-29 (32 blue) (note the ventral fins) does in the USA, and where it comes from ? Kyrgyzstan, or one of the Moldavian (9-12) ?
Could possibly be a moldavian one, their 9.12s were of the early ventral fin type.

Btw, the romanian site link does not work now, i know the site though as i'm romanian myself. I am relatively familiar with the fate of the moldavian MiG-29s, but perhaps there might be some interesting details there.

Btw, the romanian site link does not work now, i know the site though as i'm romanian myself. I am relatively familiar with the fate of the moldavian MiG-29s, but perhaps there might be some interesting details there.
I put the link again, because for me it still works.
Have you ever seen pictures of Moldavian MiG-29 (9-12) ? For my part I did not find any.

And I found on "ARC Forum" an interesting list of Moldovan MiG-29s :
After breakdown of USSR Moldova have 32 MiG-29s:
7 MiG-29 type 9-12 aircrafts
23 MiG-29 type 9-13 aircrafts
2 MiG-29UB type 9-51 aircrafts
1. 27 June 1992 one MiG-29 type 9-12 was shot down by Russian peasekeeper forces SAM.
2. Two MiG-29 type 9-13 aircafts were sold to Yemen, actually was signed contract about delivery 4 MiG-29 type 9-13, but only two were delivered, other two were in non-flight condition and not delivered, later it were sold to US.
3. One of MiG-29 type type 9-13 was sold to Romania.
4. During 1997 Moldova government sell to US:
6 MiG-29 type 9-12 aircrafts, including 2 early batches 9-12 (with fore fins)
14 MiG-29 type 9-13 aircrafts
1 MiG-29UB type 9-51 aircraft
4. 6 MiG-29 type 9-13 aircrafts were saved for Moldova Air Defense Force, at least 2 of this were overhauled at Baranovichi, Belarus.

I found on the forum "FighterControl" an interesting picture of a MiG-29 (9-12) at Tyndall in 2000.
Note that the green paint remains are similar to the Moldavians (9-13) that were more pictured.
USAF MiG-29 (9-12) (22 yellow) at Tyndall (2000).png
It seems that this (9-12) was repainted in 53 blue.

I also found that :

The complete list of MiG-29s involved in the 1997 deal :

1) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960512124, 27 White, now at Goodfellow AFB.

2) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960512140, 28 White.

3) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960516753, 20 White.

4) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960516755, 21 White.

5) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960516761, 25 White, now at Wright-Patterson Museum.

6) MiG-29 (Fulcrum-A) 2960516766, 22 White, MiG-29A 2960516766 ex 22 White, now wears "53 Blue".
Preserved at Pima, AZ, since Oct 2008. Formally at Tyndall, Florida. Possibly line no. 2005.

7) MiG-29UB (Fulcrum-B) 50903012038, 61 White, now at Wright-Patterson AFB.

8) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960707750, 24 White.

9) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960707753, 29 White.

10) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960710828, 09 White.

11) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717456, 03 White.

12) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717458, 10 White, now at NAS Fallon.

13) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717459, 11 White.

14) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717464, 12 White, now at Nellis AFB.

15) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717469, 04 White.

16) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717473, 06 White, now at Nellis AFB.

17) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960717940, 02 White.

18) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960721907, 08 White Appeared at Wright-Patt Airshow in May 2003.
Had '21' stencilled in fin tips.

19) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960721930, 41 White, now at McMinnville Museum.

20) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960721940, 46 White.

21) MiG-29S (Fulcrum-C) 2960721945, 48 White.