Reaction score
Smerch-A radar from Phazotron museum, missiles.ru

Attachments

• smerch-a.jpg
    smerch-a.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 774
L

lewradar

Looking at the feed of the Smerch antenna is the small upper feed evidence of the "secret" 2 cm "range only" mode for jamming conditions?

Attachments

• smerch feed.jpg
    smerch feed.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 685
L

lewradar

Courtesy of Crossiathh from ACIG -

You will find some picture of the RP-25 and RP-25M in a video from a russian tv broadcast at

ftp://ftp.redrodgers.com/Video/VoennoeDelo/ (Istorija radarov VVS).

a short Russian TV documentary on Radar. We get shots of the Phazotron museum, Smerch-A; Sapfir-25 etc.

tomcat1974

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Can somebody find a good picture of a cockpit of the Mig 25 PD. Or a drawing of a cockpit. I need it for Instruments identifications. BTW
here is what I found. Can someone identify the instruments (they are markerd with numbers) assuming that is 25 PD?

Attachments

• mig_25pd_011_cockpit.jpg
    mig_25pd_011_cockpit.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 906

shkval

Reaction score
I'm very intrested in both Smerch-A and Sapfir-25 radars.Does somebody has detailed info of them?Such as the A2A modes,A2G modes,and the history of development of them?Many thanks!

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No A2G modes.

Sapfir-25 is a straightforward adaptation of Sapfir-23ML which has been discussed in some depth already.

surfinblackbird

Reaction score
Bump
Does anybody have more info on the avionics especially the FCS and the GCI?
http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Foxbat-Foxhound-92.html

" The core of the weapon system was a massive 1,100 lb I-band air intercept radar, the Smerch A, designated by NATO as the Foxfire. Designed for high peak power output to burn through jamming by a target's defensive ECM, the Foxfire was a pulse Doppler design with a limited look-down capability, and has been described as comparable in this respect to the AWG-10 carried by later USN F-4s. It is not unreasonable to assume that AWG-10 components retrieved from wreckage in North Vietnam would have been closely examined by the designers of the Foxfire. Western sources credit the Foxfire with a Search/track range of 55/40 NM.
The Communists built the Foxfire with the objective of engaging targets at all altitudes, including the standoff missiles of the period which were larger and flew higher than the later ALCM/GLCM. The Foxfire unlike its Western contemporaries, was built entirely with vacuum tubes, a technology which the Communist block developed to a fine art at a time when Western designers opted for semiconductors. While bulky, maintenance intensive and power hungry, vacuum tubes were relatively insensitive to ambient temperatures and EMP and thus were well matched to the environmental extremes of Siberian winters and central Asian summers.
The Foxfire was tightly integrated with a RSIU-5 VHF datalink, NATO designation Markham, reportedly a solid state design, this datalink carried radar video from a ground based GCI scope to the cockpit CRT display of the Foxbat, and also carried radar video from the Foxfire to the GCI station. During an intercept, the Foxbat pilot could approach his target silently on GCI video, and then light up his radar once in position to launch and guide his missiles. The GCI operator could simultaneously advise the pilot while observing a repeated image of the Foxfire's video.
The Foxfire/Markham system was complemented with, by Communist standards, a comprehensive nav/comm fit, including the RSBN-2 short range nav, the SP-50 Swift Rod ILS and MRP-56P beacon receivers, an R-831 UHF comm, a RSB-70/RPS HF comm with an antenna embedded in the leading edge of the left tail, and an ARK-5 DF set. The customary SRO-2 Odd Rods IFF was complemented by a SOD-57M Air Traffic Control/Selective Identification transponder. A Sirena 3 crystal video radar warning receiver was also fitted, it is considered comparable to the Vietnam era APR-25."

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• RadarDisplay-3.jpg
    RadarDisplay-3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 49
  • RadarDisplay-2.jpg
    RadarDisplay-2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 46
  • RadarDisplay-1.jpg
    RadarDisplay-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 52
  • SmerchA-4.jpg
    SmerchA-4.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SmerchA-3.jpg
    SmerchA-3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 48
  • SmerchA-2.jpg
    SmerchA-2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 156
  • SmerchA-1.jpg
    SmerchA-1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Sapfir25.jpg
    Sapfir25.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 65

Nagumo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello, i have some questions about MiG-25RB series.

1. What is under conical dielectric nosecone and what are under two tandem ventral dielectric panels of MiG-25RB? (under lateral dielectric panels is SRS-4 Romb-4)
2. exist any photos of MiG-25RBN (night FOTINT), MiG-25RR (RINT) and MiR-25MR (meteorological recon)?
3. It was build 27 MiGs-25R and 196 MiGs-25RB. How much from 196 is MiG-25RB, MiG-25RBS, MiG-25RBK, MiG-25RBV and MiG-25RBT?

Spook

Reaction score
Smerch-A3 more improvements, which were fitted to later model MiG-25Ps as they rolled off the production line.

May i know these improvements were in what field?!. More improvements in resistance to jamming or i.e target identification?! or perhaps both?. ::)

Also, Are there any more details about the Smerch A-4 radar? I would be interested to know, how it actually differed from the Sapfir-25 radar and, are there any details about the Landysh' ECM system/set?!

Thank you,

thefrecklepuny

Reaction score
From what I've read about the MiG 25 radar, it'd make an excellent open air microwave barbecue!