Mi-4 with the turboshaft engine

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
I am looking for the any photo (of the model) of the turboshaft powered Mi-4 - the variant, that was the first iteration, that led to the Mi-8. I also found that at least one chinese Mi-4/Z-5 was equipped with the Pratt & Whitney PT6T-6 Turbo Twin-Pac turboshaft engine and flew in 1979. Do we have any photos? Thanks for your help.

This?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Z-6-Harbin-Z6-Helicopter-China-Desk-Wood-Model-Small-/120595398260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c140bbe74

Z-5 with PT-6T-6 turboshaft engine exists, and only one photo remains. The aircraft did make its first test flight in 1979.

However, the project was stopped because of the decision to introduce foreign patents in 1980.
View attachment 687176
At first glance, that looks like the same Pratt & Whitney PT6A Twin Pac as installed in Sikorsky S-58T. Starting in 1970, sikosky set up a production line to convert old S-58s to turbine power.
Was P&WC directly invovled in converting that Z-5?

Z-5 with PT-6T-6 turboshaft engine exists, and only one photo remains. The aircraft did make its first test flight in 1979.

However, the project was stopped because of the decision to introduce foreign patents in 1980.
View attachment 687176
At first glance, that looks like the same Pratt & Whitney PT6A Twin Pac as installed in Sikorsky S-58T. Starting in 1970, sikosky set up a production line to convert old S-58s to turbine power.
Was P&WC directly invovled in converting that Z-5?
No,i think it wasn't.

Only after the modification scheme was put forward and determined by No.112 factory, the relevant departments signed a contract with the Canadian company to purchase the engine.

Of course, it is not excluded that technicians learned about the S-58T from international journals and other channels, and put forward a modification scheme based on its configuration.

Canadian experts participated in the inspection before the test flight.