• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Messerschmitt Me 163 origins, developments and projects

redstar72

Soviet Aviation enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting block of pictures - thank you!
But do you really think that I-270 has any connection to 163 family?

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
that mix powered Me163b is new to me !

Background
during the war Lippsich and others proposed to replace the Walter rocket engine by jet engine
but RLM refused this and prefer twin Jet engine aircraft like Me262 (because poor quality of first jet-engine)

instead to bug-out the Me 163 series, RLM insist on construction of complete new aircraft: the Me 263
with twin rocket engine, landing gear, pressurized cockpit
Only to take then the project from Messerschmitt away because "You to busy to build Me 109 fighter and Me 262 Bomber"
and give the program to Junkers, who work on own series of EF 126 interceptors with pulse-jet engine and EF 127 with Walter rocket engine...

The perfect example how RLM caused chaos during the War....

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
The item has been re-listed:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278157069

You can buy it now for $685,000.00

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
redstar72 said:
But do you really think that I-270 has any connection to 163 family?
Answer to this question can be found in the following topic:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18141.0

hesham

Reaction score
From Flugzeug 6/1991,

here is two drawings to Messerschmitt Me.163 S,the first shows the former version with
smaller rear cabin and the second reflects the larger rear cabin as a converted version.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Thank you my dear Jemiba,

but if you add the Projects,may be we can transfer it to Early Aircraft Projects section.

pathology_doc

Reaction score
A twin-seat 163! Wow, now you can dissolve TWICE as many pilots in residual propellant as before! :eek:

[/size]Yep. It's bad enough when your manufacturers are merely struggling to outdo each other trying to sell airplanes. It's worse when everybody is also kissing political posterior (and some are doing it better than others) and the procurement process is something less than honest, well-intentioned and (usually) well-organised. e.g. We can debate till the end of days whether having a strategic bombing arm after 1941 would actually have helped Germany and whether/what the Allied campaign actually achieved, but if the He177 was Germany's Avro Manchester (albeit a much more sophisticated one), at least Avro managed to cough up their four-engined version in sufficient time and quantity to make a material difference. Poor old Heinkel, on the other hand...

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
pathology_doc said:
A twin-seat 163! Wow, now you can dissolve TWICE as many pilots in residual propellant as before! :eek:
The Me 163S lost its rocket motor and fuel to make room for a second seat.
pathology_doc said:
It's bad enough when your manufacturers are merely struggling to outdo each other trying to sell airplanes. It's worse when everybody is also kissing political posterior (and some are doing it better than others) and the procurement process is something less than honest, well-intentioned and (usually) well-organised.
Worse, well...
[quote author=Napoléon Bonaparte]N'interrompez jamais un ennemi qui est en train de faire une erreur[/quote]

hesham

Reaction score
Nice hypothetical artist drawing to Me.163;

http://archive.aviationweek.com/image/spread/19441023/4/2

Attachments

edwest

Reaction score

[/size]Yep. It's bad enough when your manufacturers are merely struggling to outdo each other trying to sell airplanes. It's worse when everybody is also kissing political posterior (and some are doing it better than others) and the procurement process is something less than honest, well-intentioned and (usually) well-organised. e.g. We can debate till the end of days whether having a strategic bombing arm after 1941 would actually have helped Germany and whether/what the Allied campaign actually achieved, but if the He177 was Germany's Avro Manchester (albeit a much more sophisticated one), at least Avro managed to cough up their four-engined version in sufficient time and quantity to make a material difference. Poor old Heinkel, on the other hand...

A very wrong interpretation. The pilot wore a flame retardant suit.

lippischh

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.shapeways.com
The Me 163 with a V-tail was a real concept ( see Luftwaffe Secret Designs of the Third Reich by Dan Sharp - p.117). I am not sure about this one tho, with the parachute brake.