Merlin and Griffon question

Foo Fighter

Cum adolescunt hominem verum esse volo.
Reaction score
Considering that these engines continued with carburetors rather than fuel injection, could they have developed more power and or been more reliable if fitted with fuel injection?

Would there have been reliable ability to use any extra power?

Not looking for in depth, that's somewhere in the obvious book but looking for a short response please.

Considering that these engines continued with carburetors rather than fuel injection, could they have developed more power and or been more reliable if fitted with fuel injection?

Not looking for in depth, that's somewhere in the obvious book but looking for a short response please.
The later engines replaced the conventional carburetors with an arrangement where a precisely metered quantity of fuel was injected into the eye oif the supercharger intake see - https://www.enginehistory.org/Accessories/HxFuelSys/FuelSysHx09.shtml . This form of fuel injection eliminated the losses that would otherwise have occurred in the carburetor venturi, and, with a suitable implementation, could operated under negative G conditions.

Direct fuel injection, as used on the German engines, retained some advantages, such as allowing extreme valve overlap and avoiding backfire problems.

The later engines replaced the conventional carburetors with an arrangement where a precisely metered quantity of fuel was injected into the eye oif the supercharger intake see - https://www.enginehistory.org/Accessories/HxFuelSys/FuelSysHx09.shtml . This form of fuel injection eliminated the losses that would otherwise have occurred in the carburetor venturi, and, with a suitable implementation, could operated under negative G conditions.

Direct fuel injection, as used on the German engines, retained some advantages, such as allowing extreme valve overlap and avoiding backfire problems.

Rolls-Royce developed a similar fuel-injection arrangement for the B.R.M. 1.5-liter, Grand Prix V16 engine, which used a centrifugal supercharger.

There have been a number of failures since WW2 where aircraft were lost due to loss of fuel pressure. I have read a number of reports the best of which I of which I shall append here. I had thought this loss of fuel was due to using un modified fuel systems, I cannot find the report which gave me this impression which annoys me. Having read this missive again it appears there is more to it than simple easy faults like not using the correct equipment. Oh well, it demonstrates the importance of reading things properly and taking the correct information rather than relying on first impressions.

Attachments

• Aircraft Loss Safety Report DH 98 G-ASKH.pdf
    147.1 KB · Views: 8