Me 334

Flitzer

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi
Another one on the go.

I've followed the 3-view I have as close as I can, but having got so far I question the exhaust position.
It seems the wing roots would be toasted.
Does the drawing show them mounted too low or would the fuselage (nose) need to be longer to pull the engine and therefore exhausts further forward etc, if the design had been taken further?\

Many thanks
P

Attachments

• 1Me334pro.jpg
    1Me334pro.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 209
Difficult one...I would guess that the C of G on this aircraft would be quite critical, so moving the engine forward without making other changes could upset the balance. Likewise moving the engine up would also create problems lining up the shaft drive.

I note that Josha Hildwine's pictures like the one here, http://www.luft46.com/jhart/jh334-1.jpg appear to show both the engine a bit further forward and raised slightly.

Cheers Bailey.

Difficult to see it withouth thinking "hey...it's a sort of Me 163 driven propelled!!", especially if we see it from top.

archipeppe said:
Difficult to see it withouth thinking "hey...it's a sort of Me 163 driven propelled!!", especially if we see it from top.

Basically that's what it was, an alternative design based on non-availability of the rocket engine.

Cheers Bailey.

Very nice Peter.

I would have thought it likely they would have re-configured the nose - it's a Bf 109 engine (DB 605) so I assume they would have used parts and jigs and tooling to suit and fitted the rest of the aeroplane around that. It's also shown a bit higher up and forward in the illustrations in Luftwaffe Secret Projects - Fighters 1935-45.

Flitzer said:
Hi
Another one on the go.

I've followed the 3-view I have as close as I can, but having got so far I question the exhaust position.
Does the drawing show them mounted too low or would the fuselage (nose) need to be longer to pull the engine and therefore exhausts further forward etc, if the design had been taken further?\

Many thanks
P

That's not a problem ...

Attachments

• Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 137
Many thanks again.

Basically I should leave it then ;D.

Or I could do one as shown and do one as a possible development.
P

Flitzer said:
or I could do one as shown and do one as a possible development.

I'm not sure that there would have been any further development. With the availability of the rocket engine, I think that this project would probably have been terminated.

Cheers Bailey.

I agree with Justo, the exhausts probably wouldn't have been much of a problem.
But the whole installation would have been quite cramped, I think, even with the engine
accessories moved to other locations. I cannot see, where the nose wheel could have
found its place, when retracted. And an engine bulkhead in a normal sense couldn't have
been used either. At least the pilot needs no revmeter, he can feel the revs with he his
tiptoes. Ok, I assumed a pilot of about 1,75m height. If the kids from the Flieger-HJ were
envisaged as pilots, there would have been more available space of course. ;D

Attachments

• Me-334.JPG
    Me-334.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 121
Jemiba said:
Ok, I assumed a pilot of about 1,75m height. If the kids from the Flieger-HJ were
envisaged as pilots, there would have been more available space of course. ;D

I recall average height was at least 10cm shorter in the 1940s. It doesn't help much but it might help a bit.

Flitzer said:
Hi
Another one on the go.

Many thanks
P
it's nice Flizter ! ::) :)

Thank you.

If I may ask another question please?

What are those two circles just below the rear cockpit fenced in red?
Some kind of access ports?

P

Attachments

• 1Me334side.jpg
    1Me334side.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 146
Flitzer said:
Thank you.

P

You pointed out buddy, there are countless times that I drawn something I didn't fully understand.......

Just a guess...

engine oil and coolant fillers??
With the nose full of engine, the tanks for
these may have to go at the rear, in the
space inside the propeller shaft fairing...

cheers,
Robin.

In my opinion, this plane has a lot more sense than the Me163... It could be a lot more useful fighter.

Cheers

Pepe

The circular twin things yet to be decided.
But tonight's progress.

Many thanks
P

Attachments

• Me 334 2.jpg
    Me 334 2.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 167
Flitzer said:
Thank you.

P

Oil and nitrous oxidizer filler caps...fuel into the wings

Red 7 with the horizontal bar is a bad spanish custom... :D
Germans do not use it

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 79
Justo's right again with the type of font. And I think, the tactical number is too near
to the iron cross, too. Not sure, if the number shouldn't be moved to the nose ?

"..In my opinion, this plane has a lot more sense than the Me163"
Maybe, but with its piston engine, the Me 334 would have competed with a lot of
other types. The Walter HWK 109-509 was a much simpler and easier to produce type
of engine, not straining the already overstretched engine production.

Many thanks you two.
A new 7 in a better position is on the way.

Peter
:)

other types.

I was the under the impression that the Me 334 concept was
developed as a way of getting the Me163 airframe into service
as soon as possible, irrespective of any delays with the
Walter rocket motor...

cheers,
Robin.

Quote from Luftwaffe Secret Projects - Fighters 1939-1945 - Schick & Meyer - Midland.

"This paper proposal from Alexander Lippisch was one of the very few such designs whose aim was to convert a fast jet aircraft to piston power. But Lippisch had good reasons for so doing: the Me 163B V1 had been waiting since May 1942 for delivery of its rocket engine from Messrs Helmuth Walther" (sic).

The italics are mine.

Cheers Bailey.

I don't think you can consider this an Me 163 airframe, since for the most part it's just the wings. The piston engined Me 262 prototype would be more akin to that situation.

robunos said:
other types.

I was the under the impression that the Me 334 concept was
developed as a way of getting the Me163 airframe into service
as soon as possible, irrespective of any delays with the
Walter rocket motor...

cheers,
Robin.