Me -163 "Butterfly Tail" Does Any One Know Anything?

Lockon

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hey does any one know of the Me-163 "Butterfly Tail" :-\ was it some type of 163 on the drawing board or has some one just made it up??

As I really like the 163 would like to know if there is any more info,drawings etc on it that could be posted or sent to my email address.

Thanks.

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
At Lonewolfmodels you can buy a butterfly tail conversion.
Still I can't say if it was a real project or just an another what-if kitbash by/for aircraft modellers.
Resin conversion to replace the tail of the Academy Me 163 with a butterfly tail unit. This was considered so a parachute brake could be fitted.
The included leaflet might have more information.
Picture: http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/images/model370.jpg
Link: http://www.lonewulfmodels.co.uk/view_product.php?c_id=21&sc_id=51&p_id=142

Lonewulf

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I got the information for the Butterfly Tail Me163 from the Classic Publications books on the 163. There is a small drawing and description of the project which proceeded no further than the planning stage because of the instabillity of the Bf 109 G-0 Butterfly Tail. I produced the model because its an interesting version of the Me 163 and looks very different when made up.

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
Usually, a V-tail is replacing a complete tail, here it is replacing a fin, the Me163 being often included among the tail-less aircraft. I am surprised that these 2 surfaces instead of 1 provides stability problems, more stability than original could have been expected. No?

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
It may be that the added structure aft on a 163 could indeed make it more unstable by shifting cg aft.
I would have thought that on a 109 the instability would simply be due to lack of stabiliser area...

Johnbr

Reaction score
Messerschmitt Me 163 B Butterfly tail proposal. Was intended to make landing of this tricky little aircraft a little easier by allowing a drag chute to be fitted. Concept was tested on Me 109 G-0 but proved to be wanting so not developed. Me-163 V tail (2).jpg