MDD/Boeing MA-31 Target Drone

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a short presentation from 2004 about Boeing's MA-31 target drone program. These were Kh-31 missile bodies bought from Russia and modified to replace the Navy's MQM-8 Vandal supersonic targets. Attached below is the PDF file.

ma31-1.png

Attachments

• MA31.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
I'm surprised that Boeing didn't try to get the licences to to produce the AS-17 airframe,, ramjet and control fin servos to produce them in the US.

I'm surprised that Boeing didn't try to get the licences to to produce the AS-17 airframe,, ramjet and control fin servos to produce them in the US.

It's not a given that the Russians would have allowed that.

It's not a given that the Russians would have allowed that.

Good point however it might've been possible back in the 1990s before Putin took over from Yeltsin at the end of 1999.

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading that Boeing had to make many mods for it to even be useful.

Well, they got them from Russia with nothing but the airframe and motors, essentially. So they had to develop the autopilots, beacons, and all the other stuff to make a missile into a target. Plus interface it with US aircraft systems (QF-4s specifically). And it turned out the motors were not wonderful -- two failures out of 13 shots (plus one due to the Boeing-supplied autopilot).

In the end, they only got 18 total of the 34 ordered, and 13 of these were expended by 2003.