McDonnnell-Douglas F-18A-D (Legacy) Hornet

starviking said:
Jemiba said:
As Tritons superposition shows to my opinion (thanks for that effort !), it's just a derelict
F-18, with nose, wings and tailplanes removed.

Or perhaps a perfectly good mainbody of an F-18 awaiting the time when it may be needed.

I guess the cones at the back are plugs to ensure the nozzle petals are not overstressed by the cocoon.
The simplest explanations are usually the best.

compton_effect said:
starviking said:
I guess the cones at the back are plugs to ensure the nozzle petals are not overstressed by the cocoon.
The simplest explanations are usually the best.

Not always

Attachments

• rcs_2.jpg
    rcs_2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 511
It seems to have a pointy nose to go with its pointy tailcones, but it still looks like a fixture/ground test article at best.

Is there any reason to think that this isn't just the test article originally described in the aviation week article nicely wrapped in white plastic?

Mat Parry said:
Is there any reason to think that this isn't just the test article originally described in the aviation week article nicely wrapped in white plastic?

If you look at the images close enough it does look like it's just something that's been wrapped in white plastic.

Flyaway said:

Mat Parry said:

If you look at the images close enough it does look like it's just something that's been wrapped in white plastic.
Specifically this "something" nicely wrapped in white plastic

fightingirish said:

Mat Parry said:

No. The rotator components are right next to it.

quellish said:
Mat Parry said:

No. The rotator components are right next to it.

So we can conclude it is part of an airframe used for RCS testing?

Jim Goodall posed in front on The Shape at AMARG today.

This pic is from his Facebook and posted with his permission.

Attachments

• 12885999_10208971863564850_4483666602692231371_o.jpg
    12885999_10208971863564850_4483666602692231371_o.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 783
High res side view:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117656823@N07/13954367943/in/photostream/lightbox/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/117656823@N07/14010851673/in/photostream/lightbox/

Thx, flateric ;)

Did they really fly F414 EPE engines (26,500lbs thrust) in an F/A-18 Hornet?

Not in time to fly alongside an F-14 (edit: or a Convair UC-880. That's a rare old bird indeed).

There was an F404 EPE as well, the -402. That's what this is from. Context puts it in the early 1990s (between 1991 when the -402 first flew and 1995 when the Convair was destroyed in an explosive decompression test)

Last edited:
Yeah, that is also a Legacy Hornet (F/A-18A or a F/A-18C) with the Sparrow missile testing the GE F404 EPE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhe1UH_Pa5U

Our F/A-18A/B Classic Hornets are retiring from service this week, as we transition to the fifth-generation F-35A Lightning II.

We've reached back into our archives and pulled out some footage we thought you might like, as we're remember and celebrate the F/A-18A/B Classic Hornet’s contribution to Australia’s air power over more than 35 years.

just a heads up to members here:

merging 5 F-18 Hornet threads in A&S into one. This only applies to the A-D models, not the Super hornet which already has its own dedicated thread:

F-18 Flaps/Flaperons Question

Boeing F-18 carrier qualifications FS Charles de Gaulle

F/A-18 Hornet 35 Year Anniversary

A New Angle On This Shadowy Stealth F/A-18 Hornet Concept Is Intriguing

Did they really fly F414 EPE engines (26,500lbs thrust) in an F/A-18 Hornet?

This has been talked about for a number of years now but is yet to become official. The comment in the article "However, this initiative is still waiting for discussions between the two countries or at the Government to Government level." is telling...

Indeed. There have also been mentions of Tunisia being interested in the ex-Kuwaiti ones (see here for example). I agree that Malaysia getting the ex-Kuwait ones would make sense (especially if linked to also getting rid of their Su-30s and doing some practical consolidation of resources), but I believe budget realities will still come into play.

Indeed. There have also been mentions of Tunisia being interested in the ex-Kuwaiti ones (see here for example). I agree that Malaysia getting the ex-Kuwait ones would make sense (especially if linked to also getting rid of their Su-30s and doing some practical consolidation of resources), but I believe budget realities will still come into play.
Whew I haven't seen that one yet!

Hornets would be a massive increase in capabilities and cost, though much cheaper than new F-16V's I'm sure. I wonder what shape Egypt's F-16A/B fleet is in, or if there are some block 25/30/32 F-16's at boneyard to go through an Indonesian type regeneration process?

Used, but modernized, F-16s and new AT-6C's seem be the smart route, depending on FMS financing for Tunisia.

Maybe Tunisia and Malaysia could share and split up the Hornet fleet? 12 for Tunisia and 27 or so for Malaysia.

How does it work when you want to sell some Hornets? Does USA have a say?
I suppose it would be useful if USA agreed to sell spare parts, at least.

I believe Kuwait mentioned that they need permission to even sell it to Malaysia first

Yes, the aircraft were acquired under FMS and thus there will need to be a Retransfer Agreement from the US for them to go anywhere else. Not sure what you are talking about re the spare parts bit.

depending on FMS financing for Tunisia.
I take it you mean Foreign Military Financing (FMF) which provided funding for acquisitions via FMS. While Kuwait would require a TPR approval to see to the likes of Tunisia I don't believe FMF could be used to pay for.

depending on FMS financing for Tunisia.
I take it you mean Foreign Military Financing (FMF) which provided funding for acquisitions via FMS. While Kuwait would require a TPR approval to see to the likes of Tunisia I don't believe FMF could be used to pay for.
Ah yes, many thanks GTX!

No FMF for the Kuwaiti Hornets, I'm sure the Tunisians would be hoping they'd either be donated, or be given a very generous loan from the Kuwaitis. FMF would be critical if the Tunisians went down the F-16V or rebuilt F-16 route.

Last edited:
The plot thickens...

As for the legacy F-18 Hornets, their fate is yet to be determined due to high demand from various countries.

Kuwait last year denied reports of a deal to sell its entire fleet to Malaysia, as was announced by government officials there. There were also press reports that Tunis was interested in acquiring the warplanes.

“Kuwait cannot sell the legacy Hornets to another country without the prior approval of the US Navy,” according to Hashim. “There are reports that the US Marines command appears to be interested in acquiring the Kuwait fleet of Hornets, and negotiations were underway between the two sides.”

Very nice, the same series as for F-15.
The same page contains a lot of more info. I found for F-16 APG-66. I add to other thread.

Ser 506C5/781084
5 SEP 1978​

MEMORANDUM FOR THE COMMANDER, NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND

Via: Chief of Naval Material

Subj: Model Designation for the HORNET Aircraft

Refs (a) COMNAVAIRSYSCOM memo ser 1281 of 27 Mar 78

1. This memorandum responds to your memo on the same subject, reference (a). In reference (a) you recommended use of the designation F-18A for the multimission, common VF and VA, USN and USMC Hornet. Your recommendation was based on conformance with existing regulations. My choice, F/A-18, would be based not so much on conformance with existing directives as with the necessity to designate this aircraft so that it truly reflects its multimission nature. Certainly the designation F-18 is in consonance with the tri-service instructions, but I do not feel it is necessary or advisable to limit the aircraft to the implication of only a single mission. Our use of the designation F/A-18 over the past year has been agreeable to all parties (USMC, NAVAIR, OPNAV, Fleet activities and contractors). I prefer to continue that designation, even though it may be one that receives its legitimacy through use rather than directive.

2. In a true sense, never before has the Navy/Marine team had an aircraft with the commonality of the HORNET. I feel the designation, F/A-18, best describes the total Navy/Marine use of the aircraft and accents its dual mission capability and commonality features. According to our DOD contact, there is a precedent for designating an aircraft in accordance with logic and the wishes of the service.

3. Request you continue to use F/A-18 to designate the ultimate, common HORNET. Staffing indicates that designation will not be challenged by extrinsic agencies. Thank you for helping us generate a solution to this issue.

F. C. TURNER
Deputy Chief of Naval Operations (Air Warfare)

ORIG: CAPT J. C. BREAST, OP-506C5
Rm 4D366, Ext 51840
TYPD: M. E. Turner, 26 Apr 78
Retyped: M. E. Turner, 9 May 78
Retyped: B. Mahar - 18 May 78
Retyped: M. E. Turner, 30 Aug 78
ID. NO. 5414E, 0129Z

Copy to:
OP-52

Attachments

• HornetDesignation_1978.png
    HornetDesignation_1978.png