McDonnell Douglas Maritime Patrol Aircraft

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
McDonnell Douglas factory desk model of an unbuilt Maritime Patrol Aircraft project. Unable to find data on this concept, either on line or in this forum. I do remember seeing this design in Japanese colors (probably in AW&ST) and I vaguely remember the powerplants might have been UHB types.

This appears to be an entirely new airframe, in the P-3/P-8 class. Somebody somewhere must know something about this...

Attachments

• MDC Maritime Patrol Aircraft.jpg
    MDC Maritime Patrol Aircraft.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 581
Looks a bit like this, only fitted with turboprops: http://www.dc-8jet.com/dac-dc9-p2067.htm

Good clue, I'm just wondering, why MDD didn't keep the typical DC-8 flight deck, as they did with
other derived types, like the D-890/D900 transports. Would have made the design probably cheaper
and so increased its chances.
But many thanks for it !

Could this be the Douglas contender in the U.S.Navy
competition who in the end produced the Lockheed Orion.?
One of the conditions was : starting from an existing airframe...

Attachments

• s-l1600ZP8TAKF5.jpg
    s-l1600ZP8TAKF5.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 158
  • s-l1600G2JTFNYU.jpg
    s-l1600G2JTFNYU.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 136
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 138
An interesting design, that's a big nose radar! SLARs too it seems.
Presumably a late 60s design? Looks more suited to an oceanic surveillance role than ASW (no obvious MAD) with long-range radar and turboprops for loiter.

An interesting design, that's a big nose radar! SLARs too it seems.
Presumably a late 60s design? Looks more suited to an oceanic surveillance role than ASW (no obvious MAD) with long-range radar and turboprops for loiter.
A good point my dear Hood .
I concur with the seemingly SLAR-type arrays.
The rade being so big that the cockpit area is raised somewhat.
Its swept-back wings seemingly to give it higher speed but turpoprops for time on station?

Regards
Pioneer