Matra/Breda Reusable Cargo Missile

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
During the '60s Matra Engins developed, in collaboration with Breda a reusable missile, that should
take-off with a weight of 1,100 kg, fly up to a distance 700 km in less than 20 minutes powered by
two ramjets and then land with the help of foldout rotor blades, as an autogyro, I would think, as no
means of powering that rotor is mentioned or recognisable. Payload should have been 30 kg of mail (!),
the whole project was called "Iris".
Don't dare to imagine, how many stamps you would have to put on a letter delivered this way ! ;D

(Edit: New scans/photo from the source added)

Attachments

• Matra_Iris_01.jpg
    Matra_Iris_01.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 326
  • Matra_Iris_02.jpg
    Matra_Iris_02.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Matra_Iris_10.jpg
    Matra_Iris_10.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Matra_Iris_11.jpg
    Matra_Iris_11.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 180
Jemiba said:
During the '60s Matra Engins developed, in collaboration with Breda a reusable missile, that should
take-off with a weight of 1,100 kg, fly up to a distance 700 km in less than 20 minutes powered by
two ramjets and then land with the help of foldout rotor blades, as an autogyro, I would think, as no
means of powering that rotor is mentioned or recognisable. Payload should have been 30 kg of mail (!),
the whole project was called "Iris".
Don't dare to imagine, how many stamps you would have to put on a letter delivered this way ! ;D
According to this drawing, the rotor blades were powered by small liquid rocket engines.

Attachments

• Iris.gif
    Iris.gif
    222.9 KB · Views: 286
Many thanks, really a worthwhile clue !
Judging the size of the rocket engines and of the tanks, I guess, those engines were used just to spin up
the rotor prior to aurorotation and not actually to turn it into a engine driven rotor, as in a helicopter ?

Jemiba said:
Judging the size of the rocket engines and of the tanks, I guess, those engines were used just to spin up
the rotor prior to aurorotation and not actually to turn it into a engine driven rotor, as in a helicopter ?
Spin-up should have been pretty automatic if they deployed while it was falling. They might provide power for a last minute "controlled" landing with a powered rotor.

Randy
(Nice finds all around by the way :) )

Jemiba said:
It seems that the engines were used to initiate the rotation and unfold the blades, and after there was only a sort of sort of rotation speed control.
The inventor of this concept was Vittorio Isacco.
See http://worldwide.espacenet.com/searchResults?ST=advanced&compact=false&IN=vittorio+isacco&locale=fr_FR&submitted=true&DB=EPODOC

Do I see here the genesis of the SPIP rocket cruisers featured in, Battle In Outer Space?

affich10.jpg