Martin Aircraft Co. and Mars 1960

magnus_z

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Artist Paul A. Rossi:

"His interest in aeronautical and space subjects stems from his service in the U.S. Air Force and work with Martin Aircraft Co., 1959-61, where he did advanced space design for proposed space exploratory vehicles and systems."
http://www.rossistudios.com/prossi2.html

3367452778_bb7b159bb9_b.jpg

3367451470_2a003f7917_b.jpg

congo_1991_space_mi_block_73a_ill_1.jpg

congo_1991_space_mi_block_73a_ill_2.jpg

Wow, fantastic paintings. Call me old fashioned but much as I like modern computer animations, there's something much more evocative about pictures like these.

I see the prints have a Martin logo under them so hopefully someone can identify the concepts featured (I'm assuming they're not just from Rossi's imagination?)

FutureSpaceTourist said:
Wow, fantastic paintings. Call me old fashioned but much as I like modern computer animations, there's something much more evocative about pictures like these.

I see the prints have a Martin logo under them so hopefully someone can identify the concepts featured (I'm assuming they're not just from Rossi's imagination?)

Spaceship is exactly the same type on both illustrations.

Hello to All,

Question from the Peanut Gallery...

What was the purpose of the wings, canard, and what appear to be jet engines on these vehicles if they perform a rocket powered vertical descent and presumed ascent? Wouldn't this be a significant weight penalty? Maybe I'm missing something.

SAustin16 said:
What was the purpose of the wings,...

Keep in mind when these paintings were made Mars was thought to have a substantial atmosphere... about 1/4 Earth-normal density at sea level. Thus wings would be handy for high-speed cruise flight for exploration, using the jet engines on the wingtips for thrust. Of course, Mars had no such atmosphere.

FutureSpaceTourist said:

I agree wholeheartedly.

I think the suits at least were an actual Martin concept/project. I'll have a look around later (probably after the upcoming site transition) to see if I can find any hard data on them.

The layout of the ship with a round command hull vaguely reminds me of Discovery from 2001. Spherical command hull, comms relay amidships, propulsion back aft. It even has a little maintenance pod flying alongside it.

XP67_Moonbat said:
The layout of the ship with a round command hull vaguely reminds me of Discovery from 2001. Spherical command hull, comms relay amidships, propulsion back aft. It even has a little maintenance pod flying alongside it.

I noticed that too.