LVG (Luftverkehrs-Gesellschaft) Civil Aircraft/Projects

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The LVG was ordered in 1917 to develop a "Großflugzeug" (large aircraft) in tri-plane
configuration, because it was hoped to increase climbing performance and maximum
ceiling this way. The aircraft was finished just shortly before the armistice and the company
was thinking about a civil use then. Quite modest the carriage of just 3 passengers in a
cabin was intended and a fourth one in the open seat of the navigator (half price ticket ? ;) )
Designated G III, the aircraft had two Maybach IVa engines, a length of 10.25 m, span of
24.5 m, take-off weight of 4,100 kg and a range of 600 km. Fate of the only prototype,
probably unflown, is not known.
(Drawing and data from Wolfgang Wagner "Der deutsche Luftverkehr - Die Pionierjahre 1919 - 1925" )

Attachments

• LVG_G-III_01.jpg
    LVG_G-III_01.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 924
From Flieger Revue Extra,

here is the LVG civil aircraft and projects.

Attachments

• LVG.png
    LVG.png
    394.2 KB · Views: 226
Hi,

here is a LVG C.VI converted into a civil biplane;

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201927%2002.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    754.2 KB · Views: 161
The LVG was ordered in 1917 to develop a "Großflugzeug" (large aircraft) in tri-plane
configuration, because it was hoped to increase climbing performance and maximum
ceiling this way. The aircraft was finished just shortly before the armistice and the company
was thinking about a civil use then. Quite modest the carriage of just 3 passengers in a
cabin was intended and a fourth one in the open seat of the navigator (half price ticket ? ;) )
Designated G III, the aircraft had two Maybach IVa engines, a length of 10.25 m, span of
24.5 m, take-off weight of 4,100 kg and a range of 600 km. Fate of the only prototype,
probably unflown, is not known.
(Drawing and data from Wolfgang Wagner "Der deutsche Luftverkehr - Die Pionierjahre 1919 - 1925" )
Via Wikipedia, according to German Aircraft of the First World War (Second Edition, 1970) by Peter Gray and Owen Thetford, the LVG G.III Grossflugzeug was renamed the Schütte-Lanz G.V in its civil guise.

According to Lange the project of the Schütte-Lanz G.V was built by LVG as the G.III. See also the more recent LVG Aircraft of WWI and German Aircraft of Minor Manufacturers in WWI both by Herris.

The following images of an LVG P I or P II mini airliner (2 passengers) may be of interest.

Attachments

• Illustrierte Flug-Welt 19 November 1919001.jpg
    Illustrierte Flug-Welt 19 November 1919001.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Illustrierte Flug-Welt 19 November 1919002.jpg
    Illustrierte Flug-Welt 19 November 1919002.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 55
Here a few pictures of the C.VI in airline service.

Attachments

• 8.png
    8.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DyzFA3V.jpg
    DyzFA3V.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 34
  • erste_uftlinie_1919.jpg
    erste_uftlinie_1919.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 34
  • jz2cqIJ.jpg
    jz2cqIJ.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 37
  • rNhTOmK.jpg
    rNhTOmK.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
Finally, here is an L.V.G W.I.

Rumpler C types, A.E.G. J and N types, and Junkers CL types were also converted to "limousine" variants for airline service.

Attachments

• W.I.JPG
    W.I.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 50
The following images of an LVG P I or P II mini airliner (2 passengers) may be of interest.
That particular aircraft has been identified as a P.I in other sources.
There seem to have been three variants of P.I; the first was a basic C.VI conversion with an open rear cockpit (aircraft C/n 11/19); the second is the variant you illustrated with the side door, the third variant lacked the door and instead had a hinged canopy over the rear cockpit.

The P.II was a conversion of the prototype C.VIII with 3 passengers but proved to have no advantages over the P.I and was dropped.

From Flugsport 1920,

what was this concept ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    86 KB · Views: 46
Principally the sketch says it all. Two fuselages with the engine in front are closely coupled via bridge or
platform like elements, allowig for easy access to the engines, a gun stand protruding from the nose,
attachement of the wings, as in a single engined aircraft, and plenty of space for gun positions in the rear.
twinfuselage aircraft are said to have a much lower stability.
That's for short the description, not mentioned is the position of the engines closer to the center line, so
decreasing negative effects of an engine failure-