Looking for infos about the Operation "Popeye" (cloud seeding in Vietnam war)

XB-35

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for infos about operation "Popeye" (cloud seeding in Vietnam War) aircraft and rain devices (pictures) used in order to model a special version of one of these aircraft used in this project. I don't know if the project is still classified today ?

Thanks for your help,

XB-35

The General Electric Schenectady Flight Test Center participated in Operation Cirrus

which was a predecessor program. I have some information on this but a better source

would be the Empire State Aeroscience Museum ( ESAM ) that now occupies the same

sire. GE was involved in Vietnam as well.

china-has-built-up-its-muscle-on-how-to-turn-weather-into-a-weapon-can-india-match-up-to-it.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for these infos ! Are there pictures of devices installed on F4 Phantoms ?

NAF China Lake A-4E Skyhawk BuNo 148613, Cold Cloud SUU-53/A firing close-up, 17 March 1972.

Cold Cloud Modification System, China Lake, 27 March 1972. Official U.S. Navy photo. Successfully used in cold-fog mitigation it was for many years a world leader in weather modification for drought relief (GROMET), hurricane abatement (Cyclops, Stormfury), fog abatement (Foggy Cloud), and rainfall enhancement for military purposes.

Attachments

• USN-720327-01.jpg
    USN-720327-01.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 12
  • LHL-165236.jpg
    LHL-165236.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank You Tsr Joe ! is it the same device installed on f-4s ?

Back
Top Bottom