US Army - Lockheed Martin Long Range Precision Fires (LRPF)

Which makes me wonder.. why they cancel Crussader in the first place.

I doubt it could autoload the modern, guided ammunition with their sophisticated programmable fuzes.

And the end of INF Treaty changes just about everything for the US Army wrt long range fires.

I doubt it could autoload the modern, guided ammunition with their sophisticated programmable fuzes.

And i doubt it's not designed with guided munitions in mind considering that There were Copperhead and Excalibur was already in development.

And the end of INF Treaty changes just about everything for the US Army wrt long range fires.

Didn't INF just apply to anything having range over 500 km and being nuclear ? and conventional artillery is like 100 km range.

And i doubt it's not designed with guided munitions in mind considering that There were Copperhead and Excalibur was already in development.

AFAIK, Copperhead didn't have an inductively programmed fuze and was mostly heading out of the inventory.
That programming is presently all done by hand-held programmers. I'm fairly sure that Crusader
had no provision for Excalibur.

Didn't INF just apply to anything having range over 500 km and being nuclear ? and conventional artillery is like 100 km range.

This is the LRPF thread right? INF was about surface-to-surface range not about conventional vs. nuclear.

Last edited:
This is the LRPF thread right? INF was about surface-to-surface range not about conventional vs. nuclear.

Yes, and how does something like Crusader can count into INF when in fact it doesnt even capable nor having shell able to reach 500 Km ?

Yes, and how does something like Crusader can count into INF when in fact it doesnt even capable nor having shell able to reach 500 Km ?

Upthread, the claim was that the Army got lost; INF was a real impediment to long range fires on the Army side.
It's why you are seeing a program for a strategic range cannon.

For reference, Excalibur fuze programming alone took around 10 seconds circa 2007*.
That's a rather large impediment to hitting Crusader's 10 - 12 rounds/minute target
even though I do see a prototype for Crusader's automatic fuze setter.

* PGK had a requirement of 13 seconds.

Last edited:

CD ATACMS gets out to 300 km. But they are looking for something to fill the gap up to 1000 km?
How would those two things be related?

I didn't realize they were refurbishing ATACMS to that extent. Surely it's worth waiting for new build PrSM at this point? I know ATACMS needed a life extension, but it sounds like they want to add new capability, which doesn't seem cost effective. I guess maybe they have that many in inventory?

I didn't realize they were refurbishing ATACMS to that extent. Surely it's worth waiting for new build PrSM at this point? I know ATACMS needed a life extension, but it sounds like they want to add new capability, which doesn't seem cost effective. I guess maybe they have that many in inventory?

CD ATACMS was (is?) going to be the last lot of SLEP'd ATACMS but modified to include the JAGM seeker rather than the proximity fuze.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think that seeker would tolerate the ATACMS flight profile, but if it is an easy swap, bravo.

I would think the initial acceleration, and the initial speed and friction, is a bit more than the launch envelope for JAGM. But I am not an aeronautical engineer nor do I know the specs for either platform. Perhaps the the existing cover for the seeker is inside that envelope.

I would think the initial acceleration, and the initial speed and friction, is a bit more than the launch envelope for JAGM. But I am not an aeronautical engineer nor do I know the specs for either platform. Perhaps the the existing cover for the seeker is inside that envelope.

I gotcha. By JAGM seeker, I suspect they mean MMW only and the only MMW seeker that Lockheed has is the JAGM seeker.

(Longbow is out of production).

They might just drop SAL support in order to exploit the existing antenna apertures on the missile.

The main live-fire scenario took place at White Sands, where bombers launched six BQM-167 targeting drones to simulate a cruise missile threat. Multiple systems targeted the BQM-167s, including the HVP round from the Paladin and a U.S. Navy deck gun, along with an AIM-9X Sidewinder missile fired from an F-16, an MQ-9, and a ground launcher. The outcome of the other launches is not public, Roper said, but the HVP’s success is and was a success story for a relatively unknown capability started at the Strategic Capabilities Office in 2013.

“It took a lot of selling to the Pentagon and to Congress, that hypervelocity guns could take on a variety of threats at a very low price point with a very high magazine to be a disruptive defense mechanism,” Roper said. “We were able to put it at center stage today, and it was successful.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bvl0Ynkro

View: https://youtu.be/vd4j5kEurXY

What's on the M110 chassis? ERCA? 5 inch?

Navy 155mm AGS test ordnance, probably. There's a Navy 127mm (sans gun house) on a platform in some of the shots. The long tube M109 shown is one of the Howitzer Test Bed chassis (HTB-VIII in specific), which has the ERCA ordnance or a close relative of it.

Navy 155mm AGS test ordnance, probably. There's a Navy 127mm (sans gun house) on a platform in some of the shots. The long tube M109 shown is one of the Howitzer Test Bed chassis (HTB-VIII in specific), which has the ERCA ordnance or a close relative of it.
Ohhh, I didn't even think of AGS! No wonder the barrel was so thick. Thanks!

Will be interesting to see if commonality with other HVP rounds yields an AGS HVP option that is affordable enough for the Navy to pull the trigger.

Will be interesting to see if commonality with other HVP rounds yields an AGS HVP option that is affordable enough for the Navy to pull the trigger.
Seems like a no-brainer; I wonder how common common-sense will be with the next few budgets...

Paladin can now fire over 80km there is no counterbattery threat to 'shoot and scoot' 155mm anymore.
Have you heard about Smerch? Iskander?
Alexander would be a waste on a single SPH. Smerch would need a guided rd already loaded, not a non consequential task. ..would use those for other tasks. Coalition, especially the double barrel, would be an answer if the FC were well tuned and had LR rds. .

Alexander would be a waste on a single SPH. Smerch would need a guided rd already loaded, not a non consequential task. ..would use those for other tasks. Coalition, especially the double barrel, would be an answer if the FC were well tuned and had LR rds. .
Iskander is perfectly good for that task, since this is one of its intended tasks and arty is extremely rarely operating in one piece standing alone.
Smerch doesn't need being "loaded already" since rounds with DPICM or self targeting subs will do a fast work on any arty formation standing still. As for guided - all of Smerch rockets are guided in fact, newer ones just offer hitting pinpoint targets instead of area ones at long range.

2S35 is hardly an "answer" since it is much further in development loop. And what having second barrel has to do with counterbattery capabilities?..

Iskander is perfectly good for that task, since this is one of its intended tasks and arty is extremely rarely operating in one piece standing alone.
Smerch doesn't need being "loaded already" since rounds with DPICM or self targeting subs will do a fast work on any arty formation standing still. As for guided - all of Smerch rockets are guided in fact, newer ones just offer hitting pinpoint targets instead of area ones at long range.

2S35 is hardly an "answer" since it is much further in development loop. And what having second barrel has to do with counterbattery capabilities?..
..would just say a 2S35 2xbarrel exchanging 2 for every 1 coming in speaks for itself.

..would just say a 2S35 2xbarrel exchanging 2 for every 1 coming in speaks for itself.
It doesn't. Two barrels are barely better than one with proper autoloader. And autoloader on 2S35 is as proper as one could get today.

Paladin can now fire over 80km there is no counterbattery threat to 'shoot and scoot' 155mm anymore.
Have you heard about Smerch? Iskander?
Have you heard about Paladins shooting down missiles with HVP in that other thread?

Perhaps mass will return in force as offense and defense is merged together as sheer numbers overcomes "countermeasures"

As"hypersonics" needs to slow down to use its sensors against mobile targets, with the defensive engagement geometry I don't see it as impossible. These aren't aircraft carrier sized targets here.

That's... I don't even know what to answer...
..me thinks peeps should be doing their homework..75mm rds where maneuvering and intercepting ballitics targets in the 80s. 1599691835914.png

Last edited:
That's... I don't even know what to answer...
..me thinks peeps should be doing their homework..75mm rds where maneuvering and intercepting ballitics targets in the 80s.View attachment 640847

You're the one not doing your homework. STARTLE was not a ballistic missile defense radar. It was intended to supplement thermal imaging sights for engaging tank targets, which are the exact opposite of ballistic.

The ARES 75mm gun had anti-aircraft capability in some installations but not guided rounds or ABM capacity of any sort.

Attachments

• EOryy9rWoAAT1V-.jpeg
    EOryy9rWoAAT1V-.jpeg
    672.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Have you heard about Paladins shooting down missiles with HVP in that other thread?
Wait, are you implying ERCA will shoot down incoming Iskanders with its cannon?..

It was and remains one of the intended target sets for HVP; BMDO started the HVP effort back in the 80's.
That you're seeing some of the same fire control equipment, large interferometric radar is no coincidence.

Most bmdo interception data is not longer on the internet. One can believe incorrectness they want. ..not arguing any more.