• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Long Range Precision Fires

Lc89

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Can an MK72 rocket not be put on a PRSM to make it fly further? After updating and improving it, you might try something like this. Obviously it'd have taken larger trucks as transport and launch platforms.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Can an MK72 rocket not be put on a PRSM to make it fly further? After updating and improving it, you might try something like this. Obviously it'd have taken larger trucks as transport and launch platforms.
Probably could. It's a fairly expensive piece of kit. They used the ASROC booster on LRASM, I believe, likely because it's cheaper.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Probably could. It's a fairly expensive piece of kit. They used the ASROC booster on LRASM, I believe, likely because it's cheaper.
I wonder if it's also because they didn't need that much ISP. For example, they could have used the Tomahawk booster and passed on that as well.

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Based on this document the MK72 runs around half a million $ For something like the LRASM that would add around 17% to the cost of the missile for VL launch. For PrSM this would add about 50% of the cost of the baseline Army PrSM.

Attachments

TomS

Reaction score
I wonder if it's also because they didn't need that much ISP. For example, they could have used the Tomahawk booster and passed on that as well.
Could also be a matter of who makes it. Since VL LRASM remains a company initiative, IIRC, the fact that LM makes VL ASROC but not Tomahawk or Standard might have played a role in the booster selection.

sferrin

Reaction score
Could also be a matter of who makes it. Since VL LRASM remains a company initiative, IIRC, the fact that LM makes VL ASROC but not Tomahawk or Standard might have played a role in the booster selection.
That's probably it right there. Would have made integration easier.

bobbymike

Reaction score
The Precision Strike Missile’s rocket booster is so powerful that short-range shots actually put more stress on the weapon than letting it loose to fly its full distance, Lockheed told us

Moose

Reaction score
That's a damned shame, going to kneecap their ability to compete for the final contract. And even if they win, LM just got a gift-wrapped reason to complain to their congressional allies.

sferrin

Reaction score
That's a damned shame, going to kneecap their ability to compete for the final contract. And even if they win, LM just got a gift-wrapped reason to complain to their congressional allies.
Why would LM complain about Raytheon exiting the competition?

“Their period of performance ended on the 20th, last Friday, and so they dropped out of the competition because they didn’t meet the requirement for the next phase,” he said. “It has been a competitive program and all competitions end and this one ended in this way.”

Josh_TN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
LM's tests have knocked it out of the park so far and their future testing apparently will include multiple missiles. It seems like a no brainer to go with the LM product and I can't imagine why anyone on any side would contest it.

Moose

Reaction score

“Their period of performance ended on the 20th, last Friday, and so they dropped out of the competition because they didn’t meet the requirement for the next phase,” he said. “It has been a competitive program and all competitions end and this one ended in this way.”
Poor wording on my part. I meant that in the now-unlikely event of a Raytheon win, LockMart's got a simple but direct line of attack.

sferrin

Reaction score

Poor wording on my part. I meant that in the now-unlikely event of a Raytheon win, LockMart's got a simple but direct line of attack.
It sounded like Raytheon threw in the towel. How could they possibly win?

Moose

Reaction score
My understanding was that they'd still be part of the Milestone B review, but upon further reading today it looks like I'm wrong and they're totally out. Ah well.

sferrin

Reaction score

"And the service plans to extend the range of the PrSM missile so there are opportunities for competition there “and we would welcome Raytheon as an important competitor,” Rafferty said, adding Raytheon’s design features a compelling propulsion system, which fundamentally differs from Lockheed’s design and could be considered down the road. "

Hmmmm.