Lockheed XPW-1 twin engine pursuit-fighter

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: Bill Slayton article in Dirty Plastic newsletter Issue110/112, IPMS Phoenix

Attachments

• LockheedXPW-1.png
    LockheedXPW-1.png
    535.3 KB · Views: 534
To my knowledge XPW-1 was not a formal military designation of 1936 period.
I know Lockheed had a Design 11 that has been linked to the XPB-3 and XFM-2 designations, but that design looks different from this XPW-1 design.
Does anybody have a proper Lockheed design number for this XPW-1 design and has it been mentioned in references anywhere else?.

Jos Heyman said:
To my knowledge XPW-1 was not a formal military designation of 1936 period.
I know Lockheed had a Design 11 that has been linked to the XPB-3 and XFM-2 designations, but that design looks different from this XPW-1 design.
Does anybody have a proper Lockheed design number for this XPW-1 design and has it been mentioned in references anywhere else?.

I don't think the article implies that XPW-1 was anything but a company-given designation.

I have a hunch that if "Fatz" didn't have a company designation to provide, given his knowledge and access to the archives, there probably wasn't one.

XPW was used before for "eXperimental, Pursuit, Watercooled" in the 1920s. Yes, odd usage here. Potentially a typo on the source document or a new designation not adopted? XPW might even be "eXperimental, Pursuit,Wright" for "this is the design for the newer requirement Wright Field tipped us on after we lost the 604 competition".

Has resemblances to early Model 22 studies here - its close to an early iteration of (1) with tail of (2), with second crewmember still present. I would bet on it being an transitional Model 11/Model 22 design - perhaps in the Model M-12-36 range mentioned on earliest Model 22 docs.

index.php