Lockheed supersonic model with electrically charged upper surfaces - 1968

vulture

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
An aircraft model being tested in 1968 at Lockheed's Rye Canyon facility, in southern California. It may relate to Lockheed/CIA Project Kempster. By charging the surfaces of an aircraft with electricity to lower its RCS value. As can be seen in the image, an ionic - mist engulfs the model in odd places. And at night it would glow like a Christmas tree. Good for lowering the RCS, but bad for its visual signature. Because of the ionic halo, I just call it the "Saint" aircraft model. Its sort of like Saint Elmo's Fire but on overdrive :)

Attachments

• lockheed_saint-1968.jpg
    lockheed_saint-1968.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 166
As has already been reported, the USAF did test plasma fields, which I would assume relate to this test, for lowering RCS, but they had a problem with the aircraft arcing with the ground. I remember those reports of a triangular/delta shaped aircraft with a greenish glow to it, but I have no idea if that was the testbed.

Although, finding that picture of the technology being tested in the 60's is a great find. I wonder if this why we haven't seen much of the research Northrop was doing using charged fields to reduce drag on supersonic aircraft near the same time frame. Maybe they were testing for drag reduction and discovered it lowered the RCS as well?

I am finding out that most of the reports of these types of plasma fields for aircraft RCS reduction still remain classified secret - especially those from Lockheed and Northrop during the 1960s period - old technology but still classified I'm afraid. On a side note though, with the aircraft arcing when on the ground, a method has been patented by Mr. Boyd Bushman on means and ways to de-electrify the aircraft while it is on the ground. I have that patent number here somewhere, and I will post it here for reference purposes.

vulture said:
An aircraft model being tested in 1968 at Lockheed's Rye Canyon facility, in southern California.

actually, this is vortex flow vizualisation over Lockheed L-2000-7A supersonic transport wind tunnel model

vulture said:
I am finding out that most of the reports of these types of plasma fields for aircraft RCS reduction still remain classified secret - especially those from Lockheed and Northrop during the 1960s period - old technology but still classified I'm afraid. On a side note though, with the aircraft arcing when on the ground, a method has been patented by Mr. Boyd Bushman on means and ways to de-electrify the aircraft while it is on the ground. I have that patent number here somewhere, and I will post it here for reference purposes.

Actually, the problem wasn't with them just arcing on the ground, but in flight as well. It's hard to be stealthy when a lightning bolt is periodically showing up between you and the ground. ;)