Lockheed NATF-22 scale drawings project

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
My CAD skills are fading away as free time, but I wonder if someone with CAD skills will finally start NATF-22 3-view?
At least we have something to start with.

Attachments

• 47471c530103tl5x.jpg
    47471c530103tl5x.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • NATF_top.jpg
    NATF_top.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,208
  • NATF-1.jpg
    NATF-1.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • navalisedf22.jpg
    navalisedf22.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,106
flateric said:
...if someone with CAD skills ...

Would a simple vector graphic be sufficient, or do you need a CAD file for, say, building it via
a 3D-printer ?

Jens, just a 3-view...

Then let's have a try ...

I'm trying my hand at it.

Others can probably improve on what I've done so far, but I plan on doing a front view as well. At least we know the top view should be accurate.

EDIT: I just noticed that I forgot the wing control surfaces...

EDIT 2: Finished.

Attachments

• NATF.png
    NATF.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 982
Well done !
When I was having a day off at the climbing crag with my family and having a barbecue, you
was working hard ! ;)
Just a clue: Judging the model, the inlets are a bit more rounded on the model and the lower line
of the cockpit tranparency seems to be a more straight line.

Attachments

• nose.gif
    nose.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 209
Have checked out again the pictures we have so far and came to the conclusions, that three different
interpretations of what it would look like are shown.

- The top view is based very closely indeed on the F/A-22. Kryptid has shown perfectly, what this
proposal would look like.

- The artists impression shows a much different bird. Apart from a generally sleeker look and the cockpit,
which seems to be more straked in, the most important difference is the additional kink in the line between
the intake/fuselage junction and wing. For myself, I took this picture as mainly "art".

- The third layout we know is the model. As we have TWO pictures of it, I decided to use this one as my
primary source.
As already pointed out, the cockpit looks different to a "standard" Raptor. After closer inspection, I think,
that this aircraft is longer, than the F/A-22, with a deeper fuselage, that after the cockpit section tapers
into a more angular cross section, indicated by a curvature on the model.
Would like to get some feedback, before adding more detail, as there's not much sense to be barking up
the wrong tree. :-\

Attachments

• NATF-22.gif
    NATF-22.gif
    35.7 KB · Views: 289
  • NATF-FA-22.gif
    NATF-FA-22.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 210
Zillion thanks, guys!

To my calculation, the NATF would be at least the length of the F-14, probably around 20m.
Is thath realistic. I would like to add some details, are there more pics of that model around?
Maybe in higher res ? And is my assumption about the changes to the fuselage plausible at all ?

Jemiba said:
- The top view is based very closely indeed on the F/A-22. Kryptid has shown perfectly, what this
proposal would look like.
Not quite. The details of the top view and the model looks much more like a YF-22 derivative so I don't you should be using production F-22 as your reference since the design for that wasn't finalized at the time NATF was still an active proposal.

Nils_D said:
...The details of the top view and the model looks much more like a YF-22 derivative ...

Good clue, that brings the intakes more in line with NATF topview, the fins are smaller and moved
further aft. The cockpit position nevertheless is more forward, maybe to improve visibility during
carrier approach ?
(YF-22 drawing from http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/lok_f-22.php )

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 165
Jens, check the mail.
please note that you missed cropped lower edge of vertical rudder (just in case).

P.S. Aircraft at drawing looks much sleeker than model I'd say

flateric said:
Aircraft at drawing looks much sleeker than model I'd say

Yes, you're right, I think, the shape of the nose should closer to the top view/YF-22,
will change this.

flateric said:
please note that you missed cropped lower edge of vertical rudder (just in case).

Nope, I think not, but it's covert by the wings, for which I've used no di-/anhedral.

Attachments

• NATF_ww.gif
    NATF_ww.gif
    16 KB · Views: 185
I'd believe model _more_ than artist's impression though

Me too, that's why I took it as basis .
Not to get it wrong, with "too slim" you were speaking about the nose section ?

Attachments

• correction.gif
    correction.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 196
Have finished this "project" for now, as long, as nobody comes up with critics, errors, corrections, etc. ...
- As mentioned in my last post, I somewhat corrected the horizontal shape of the nose and did
some minor work on the shape, e.g. of the fin/tailplane support. A little bit buggering with the photos
of the model, brought some structures to light, that I interpreted as panel/weapons bay and hinge lines.
Ok, I admit, in some cases, they may just have been dust on the photographers lense or maybe I was
temporarily cross-eyed....
Be that as it may, in the "basic" drawing, only details can be found, that to my opinion actually are
shown on the model.
In the "supplemented" drawing, I added some details, that the real thing quite probably would have, but
that aren't recognisable on the model, like landing gear, hook, weapons bay (underside) and wings swept
forward. As pattern, I used the drawing of the YF-22 supported by Flateric and drawings/photos of the
F/A-18 (nose wheel).
Clues and critics welcome and, of course, additional photos of that model !

Attachments

• NATF-22_Basic.gif
    NATF-22_Basic.gif
    62.4 KB · Views: 633
  • NATF-22_supplemented.gif
    NATF-22_supplemented.gif
    99.4 KB · Views: 677
Tried to add some colour to this "grey ghost" . Paint scheme mainly based on the model photos,
but "enriched" with some more, absolutely fictional details. Not for purist or number crunchers ! ;)

Attachments

• NATF-22_CP.jpg
    NATF-22_CP.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 533
Jemiba said:
Tried to add some colour to this "grey ghost"

Very nice!! But don't forget that "Gray Ghost" was actually the name of one of the YF-23 competitors!

Attachments

• grayghost.jpg
    grayghost.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 414
Stargazer2006 said:
But don't forget that "Gray Ghost" was actually the name of one of the YF-23 competitors!

That's why I used the English spelling ! ;)

Stargazer2006 said:
Jemiba said:
Tried to add some colour to this "grey ghost"

Very nice!! But don't forget that "Gray Ghost" was actually the name of one of the YF-23 competitors!
As a reminder only the gray-colored YF-23 was nicknamed Gray Ghost, the black-colored YF-23 was nicknamed Black Widow II. -SP