Lockheed Martin F-35 Thread

The USN won’t update the F-18E/F blk1 to blk3 for the same reading, though I think most of them are still retained as training aircraft.

Found it, it's just the opinion / speculation of a Quora poster: https://www.quora.com/Can-the-F-35-...onic-Attack-abilities-Compare-contrast-Please (it's from the answer by "Abhirup Sengupta, Military Aviation Enthusiast").
I couldn't find that specific bit.
You have to expand their answer by clicking the "(more)" button near the bottom of their post. It expands into this:

1622456477530.png

The patent they linked to is to this one from Westinghouse:

It really depends on if the TR modules of the AN/APG-81s are capable of such wideband transmission. I mean concerning the antenna element, sure it could be although I'm not confident to say if it would be capable of radiating lower frequency band compared to X-bands. Anyways, radiating is one thing, and radiating it in such way that it is effective enough is another. My take would be that the TR modules of the AN/APG-81 and the radar control OFP installed on the ICP are probably not capable of beamforming the radar transmission in such way that it is effective for any jamming apart from X-band bandwidth.

Also, considering the transmitter module design, especially the MMIC part of it, even the NGJ is divided into low-band, mid-band and high-band. What that Quora post seems to argue is that the AN/APG-81 could cover the bandwidth range of at least 2 or even 3 different NGJ system. That alone clears the possibility of AN/APG-81's TR module being capable of covering off such a large bandwidth I feel. The older ALQ-99, which the later models used phased array(probably Rotman lens based) design for its transmitters, were also divided into different bands as well. It really depends on which kind of antenna element the TR module uses, but at least afaik your typical Rotman lens based transmitter design is relatively easy to make it into a wideband antenna so there's my take.

Anecdotical but of some interest:
The first F-35 jet was unaware of the helicopter and passed over it at a distance of about 1,000ft (300m), the report said.
The second jet's sensors detected the AW139 and stopped descent before informing the third F-35, which enabled the aircraft to increase separation.
It was the second jet that passed the helicopter at 600ft, the report said.
The report said the pilot of the second jet should be "commended" for their "quick action in passing traffic information" to the third F-35.

Belgian firms start production of F-35 horizontal tails (a former post mentioned the project):
La co-entreprise (joint venture) BeLightning, composée d'Asco Industries, de Sabca et de Sonaca Group, a officiellement démarré ses activités de fabrication d'empennages horizontaux et de composants connexes pour l'avion de combat de 5e génération de Lockheed Martin, le F-35 Lightning II, ont annoncé mardi les partenaires industriels. L'objectif du projet est de construire un minimum de 400 empennages horizontaux (en jargon des "Horizontal Tail Planes", HTP), représentant environ 400 millions de dollars américains de revenus estimés [...].
--------------------------------///----------------------
The BeLightning joint venture, made up of Asco Industries, Sabca and Sonaca Group, officially started manufacturing horizontal stabilizers and related components for Lockheed Martin's [...] F-35 Lightning II, the industrial partners announced on Tuesday. The objective of the project is to build a minimum of 400 horizontal tail planes, representing approximately 400 million US dollars of estimated income.

Ebbing Air National Guard Base, Fort Smith, Arkansas selected as F-35 Lighting II training center for Foreign Military Sales:

The Department of the Air Force will conduct an environmental impact analysis to confirm the Ebbing site can support the new F-35 and F-16 missions. If it cannot, Selfridge ANGB, Michigan, has been named an alternate location.

The Department of the Air Force anticipates making the final basing decision in spring 2023.

Italian AF's F-35s deployed in Estonia execute the first interception of the type in Continental Europe (to be confirmed) :
The Italian F-35A involved in the intercept belong to the 13° Gruppo (Squadron) of the 32° Stormo (Wing), from Amendola Air Base, in southeastern Italy, the first unit of the Aeronautica Militare to receive the Lightning in 2016 and the first in Europe to achieve IOC (Initial Operational Capability) in November 2018.
[...]
Although it’s the first time they operate from Estonia, the Italian Air Force F-35A jets have already supported NATO Air Policing mission in Iceland twice: the first time was in 2019, the second in 2020, when the Italian Lightnings scrambled for the first time to intercept a formation of three Russian Tu-142s.
And we have a picture:
1622933383620.png

Last edited:
i wonder if the Russians still keep anyone manned in those tail turrets.

Six Israeli Air Force (IAF) F-35Is (the Israeli-specific variant of the conventional take-off and landing [CTOL] F-35A) have joined an undisclosed number of Italian Air Force (Aeronautica Militare Italiana: AMI) F-35As, Royal Air Force (RAF) short take-off and vertical landing F-35Bs, and US Air Force (USAF) F-35As at Amendola Air Base in southern Italy.

“Our ‘Adir' Division has recently touched down in Italy as part of its first-ever overseas deployment and will begin training alongside our friends from the AMI, RAF, and the USAF,” the IAF said on its official Facebook page. “Throughout the exercise, the IAF will drill a wide variety of operational scenarios to enhance the operational capabilities of the F-35 while strengthening international co-operation”.

And in effect, Hill Air Force Base, Utah, F-35s continue their training in Europe after the French AF during Exercise Trident 21.

Last edited:
Somewhat F-35 related.. an F-35 carrier by Hyundai presented at MADEX 2021..
20210609075312.jpg

I posted more pics here in the Korean light carrier thread

Interesting they also went with the two island solution. I'm a little curious why the UK thought that was a superior solution, though I suspect it has something to do with the uptake of the exhaust of two separate engine rooms that doesn't translate to nuclear power.

EDIT: the model has a distinctively cylon look to it. :)

Also probably in both cases intended to help free up more available hull volume for consumables, fuel, spare parts, munitions storage, etc.

Last edited:
FMS, Naval Air System command, New foreign customer, End of July...!!

Since there is no known foreign demand for any C model, I guess it can only be for some F-35B... But where?

Lockheed Martin Corp. has been awarded a $137.7 million modification to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price contract.

This modification adds scope to provide continued support services, including program management, non-recurring unique requirements, and training in support of increment five integration of Foreign Military Sales (FMS) customers into the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter program. Work will be performed in Fort Worth (60%); and an undisclosed locations outside the continental U.S. (40%). The work is expected to be completed in July 2021. FMS funds in the amount of $137,680,806 will be obligated at time of award, none of which will expire at the end of the current fiscal year. The Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Maryland, is the contracting activity.

Last edited:
[Gen. Tod] Wolters [(NATO’s top general in Europe)] said the American fifth-generation F-35 jets have yet to reach their full potential in fusing customer nations’ military capabilities. Notably, he described the aircraft’s battle-support features — like early-warning and command-and-control — rather than the jets’ advertised combat or stealth prowess as the decisive force multiplier across national air forces. Wolters predicted European users would field a combined 450 F-35s by 2030.
“With each passing day we’re finding better ways to unite nations that possess F-35s to improve our speed and posture in the air domain,” he said.

A Lockheed Martin official told reporters on 10 June at the company's F-35 production facility in Fort Worth, Texas, that the aircraft's cost per flying hour is USD33,000 in 2012 dollars: USD38,655 in 2021 dollars.

A former F-35 programme official, who was grated anonymity to speak freely, told Janes on 9 June that the original concept predicted that the aircraft would have a cost per flying hour between USD25,000–30,000 in 2021 dollars, once the programme reached the current stage: between initial operational capability (IOC) and full operational capability (FOC). This cost per flying hour was supposed to be somewhat comparable to newer Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons.

Don't forget the Mission Capable Rate which are now the best among other USAF fighters at 76%

(and the fact that the more 35s you use the smallest your mission Package needs to be, phenomenally decreasing the cost of a single mission at equal or better chances to reach mission objectives)

Last edited: