Lockheed Martin F-35 Thread

No worries, that'll polish out. Th F-35 might take longer though, and a LOT of super glue. Jigsaw puzzle anyone?

1 F-35 lost. Pilot OK. KC-130J was able to make an emergency landing (some extensive damages apparantly) :

From Scramble.nl

View attachment 641734

I saw 6765 when it was over here, fortnight ago. It came into RAF Marham on Sunday after the VMFA-211 Wake Island Avengers arrived. Next thing I know , it’s gone U/S and at RAF Mildenhall ....so here is my photo of it on deck at Mildenhall on the 12th and of it departing on the 15th.

cheers

690D3A80-1F04-4862-9BC6-2B1F19784D3A.jpeg C2C5B3C2-0BF4-477F-B686-39D207E9BD16.jpeg

Great emergency landing b/w. Seems that port wing had no engines running with all propellers shot off (as the pod).

The F-35 package comes with an estimated price tag of $6.58 billion, while the F/A-18 package with a price tag of $7.452 billion. Both those totals, if they represent final figures — and DSCA notifications often do not — would exceed the approved $6.5 billion budget for the program.
In addition, State pre-cleared Switzerland to purchase the Patriot air defense system, a contender for a complimentary ground-based capability. The five Patriot batteries come with an estimated $2.2 billion price tag.

I hadn't even noticed that one. I guess the two of them in front have free beer for a great long while.

Last edited:
Is that Herc salvageable? It looks like the crew did a great job putting her down. A pity the wheels weren't.

They probably opted for a belly landing given the nature of the ground.
From some angles I see as if the fuselage is broken forward of the wing spar.

Is that Herc salvageable? It looks like the crew did a great job putting her down. A pity the wheels weren't.
Considering it landed in a plowed field, gear up was a better option of they even had a choice.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

They probably opted for a belly landing given the nature of the ground.
From some angles I see as if the fuselage is broken forward of the wing spar.
I think they break their backs pretty regularly with these sorts of forced landings, especially if they hit hard. It looks like the left refueling pod's been ripped off at some point too. Will be interesting to hear the pilot's account (if we get it) as it's difficult to say how much damage is from the landing and how much from the collision based on 1 or 2 pics.

Pilots never see the outside world through the canopy; they see an image of it. Every manufactured canopy optically distorts the view of the outside world in a unique way. Aerial and ground targets viewed through head-up and helmet-mounted displays can be distorted by imperceptible deviations in canopy thickness, curves, and material. In other words, the canopy can have a direct effect on weapon accuracy. To mitigate this, every canopy is manufactured and verified to extremely tight tolerances. Each canopy is then optically mapped and matched to a specific aircraft as part of the assembly process, with optical deviation data stored in onboard systems to correct the pilot’s view of the outside world, in real-time

Dear TomcatVIP and mkellytx,

Please use standard nomenclature: USN, USMC, USAF, FAA, SAE, etc..
All left and right, up and down, fore and aft are defined from the pilot's seat.
Ergo the left wing tip is always off the pilot's left shoulder along with the #1 engine and #2 engine.

In this accident, it looks like the F-35 over-shot his approach to the refueling drogue hanging under the right wing. He damaged the inboard, right-hand external fuel tank along with propellers on both the #3 and #4 engines.
Looks like the #1 propeller and left-most refueling pod were damaged on landing.

All left and right, up and down, fore and aft are defined from the pilot's seat.
Ergo the left wing tip is always off the pilot's left shoulder along with the #1 engine and #2 engine.

In this accident, it looks like the F-35 over-shot his approach to the refueling drogue hanging under the right wing. He damaged the inboard, right-hand external fuel tank along with propellers on both the #3 and #4 engines.
Looks like the #1 propeller and left-most refueling pod were damaged on landing.
I always understood Port and starboard was the point, as apposed to left and right. Port and starboard is from the captains seat, as it started with ships. Port is left, for any ground pounders who have learnt to type, hopefully everyone else can work out which one is right.....

The mistake is mine obviously. I should have correctly written starboard to name the side of the damaged engines and pod.
Regarding the damages on port side (hence left and right on the photo), don't forget the massive fuel leak (photo and probably comms - mentioned by the pilot in his mayday call). I won't be surprised if he flew through debris. That could also explain the single prop blade missing on engine #1 as the pod.

damaged-kc-130-png.641803

Last edited:

Thanks riggerrob, that's what you get from a blue suiter posting late at night after a couple of beers

Last edited:
Relax dear mkellytx,
I am also an old blue-suiter, but gave up on beers during the last century.
Hah!
Hah!

Dual option packages from DSCA for Finland-

1) F35 -$12.5B

- 64 Blk 4 F-35A Aircraft (and spare engines)
- 500 GBU-53/B Small Diameter II bombs
- 32 AIM-9X Block II+ missiles (F-35)
- 100 AGM-154C-1 JSOW-C munitions
- 200 JASSM-ER
- 150 JDAM Guidance Kits
- F-35 Performance Based Logistics

2) F-18 - $14.7B

- 50 x F/A-18E, 8 x F/A-18F, 14 x EA-18G
- Similar weapons from F35 package
- 74 AN/AYK-29 Distributed Targeting Processor – Networked (DTP-N)
- 8 NGJammer sets (16 mid band pods)

The Marine Corps tested [Odin,] the Operational Data Integrated Network[,] aboard an F-35B squadron and saw the system support four additional flights following the initial deployment, DVIDShub reported Friday.

Dual option packages from DSCA for Finland-

1) F35 -$12.5B

- 64 Blk 4 F-35A Aircraft (and spare engines)
- 500 GBU-53/B Small Diameter II bombs
- 32 AIM-9X Block II+ missiles (F-35)
- 100 AGM-154C-1 JSOW-C munitions
- 200 JASSM-ER
- 150 JDAM Guidance Kits
- F-35 Performance Based Logistics

2) F-18 - $14.7B

- 50 x F/A-18E, 8 x F/A-18F, 14 x EA-18G
- Similar weapons from F35 package
- 74 AN/AYK-29 Distributed Targeting Processor – Networked (DTP-N)
- 8 NGJammer sets (16 mid band pods)

I didn't think AGM-158 was integrated with F-35 or F-18, outside of AGM-158C for USN F-18s.

Pratt & Whitney will assess F135 engine enhancements required to support future F-35 weapon system capability requirements across all F-35 variants beginning with Block 4.2 aircraft. The scope of the assessment focuses on enhancements addressing improvements to up and away thrust, powered lift thrust, power and thermal management capacity, and fuel burn reduction.

Pratt & Whitney will assess F135 engine enhancements required to support future F-35 weapon system capability requirements across all F-35 variants beginning with Block 4.2 aircraft. The scope of the assessment focuses on enhancements addressing improvements to up and away thrust, powered lift thrust, power and thermal management capacity, and fuel burn reduction.

Wait, what? "Pratt & Whitney, a division of Raytheon Technologies Corp."? Either there's a heck of a typo there or I missed a major sale from United Technologies Corp. to Raytheon.