Lockheed Martin F-35 Thread

I wonder how much information on the S-400 system has/will be passed on the the US.

well , this being news only , but Lockheed Martin Corporation must be proud in choice of its allies one of whom declares with "New Turkey" out of the programme each plane will become 7 to 8 million dollars more expensive . The guy is the official who's top of those who are working in "Defence" . If anywhere near true , the said Corporation will also remember to show some love to its fan base , especially here , but you didn't hear it from me .

I wonder how much information on the S-400 system has/will be passed on the the US.

What is a loss in PR will definitely be made up in SIGINT and data gathered. I wonder if Russia really weighed the risk in this case, but this could secure them more orders and a closer relationship with a new potential ally.

What is a loss in PR will definitely be made up in SIGINT and data gathered. I wonder if Russia really weighed the risk in this case, but this could secure them more orders and a closer relationship with a new potential ally.

I wonder if Turkey has been sold a 'dumbed down' version of the S-400, I can't imagine Russia not being aware of the west trying to get their hands on one.

Lockheed Martin Corp., Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is awarded a $34,670,000 undefinitized cost-plus-incentive-fee contract to develop and deliver an engineering change proposal to enable the production cut-in of the Fuselage Station 425 (fs425) Bulkhead structural modification required for F-35A and F-35C to allow full-envelope internal carriage of aft heavy weaponry.

Picture from the "F-35 Weapons Design Integration".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190722-164245_1.jpg
    Screenshot_20190722-164245_1.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 65
Lockheed Martin Corp., Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co., Fort Worth, Texas, is awarded a $34,670,000 undefinitized cost-plus-incentive-fee contract to develop and deliver an engineering change proposal to enable the production cut-in of the Fuselage Station 425 (fs425) Bulkhead structural modification required for F-35A and F-35C to allow full-envelope internal carriage of aft heavy weaponry.

Picture from the "F-35 Weapons Design Integration".

According to Steve Trimble's report, a source close to program tells him this modification is aimed to make the AARGM-ER and SiAW can be carried internally by F-35 A/C. Also, this is a necessary modification to implement the Sidekick concept.

Plenty of other places to fly from and Cyprus is not that far away. A chance of flying from Greek locations etc etc.

"The F-35 was once the Pentagon’s high-profile problem child. Has it finally moved past its reputation of being an overhyped and underperforming warplane?"
By Valerie Insinna

Plenty of other places to fly from and Cyprus is not that far away. A chance of flying from Greek locations etc etc.

and... let's face it... being based in Greece or Cyprus vs Turkey?

Frankly, it's likely that there is a already a significant US presence on those old British bases in Cyprus.

and... let's face it... being based in Greece or Cyprus vs Turkey?

Frankly, it's likely that there is a already a significant US presence on those old British bases in Cyprus.

U-2s fly out of there.

cdc77cc37e7ebf42315716a0fbd1bc5dd54686c632a8ab2a46897c9b0c68d349.jpg

F-35: The Right Choice for Poland
(Source: Lockheed Martin; issued Aug 30, 2019)

The F-35A is the best value solution for replacing Poland’s existing MiG-29 and Su-22 jets in the Polish fleet, and is available today to meet the needs of the Polish Air Force now and into the future.

Lockheed Martin is a trusted partner for Poland, for Europe and NATO and we’re invested in supporting the long-term strategic priorities of the Polish Ministry of Defense. In addition to providing Poland with a mature, 5th Generation weapon system, acquisition of the F-35 will bring supply chain and technology transfer opportunities to Poland.

The F-35 will reinforce Poland’s defense leadership in Central Europe and ensure the Polish Air Force’s offensive and defensive capabilities continue to outpace advancing threats.

With unparalleled stealth, advanced sensors, supersonic speed, weapons capacity and increased range, the F-35 is the most advanced, survivable and connected fighter jet ever built.

With advanced threats in close proximity, Poland’s defense and security requires a low observable stealth aircraft to ensure survivability and mission effectiveness. The F-35’s unique mix of stealth and sensor technology can enable the Polish Air Force to covertly patrol, monitor and conduct surveillance without being detected.

The F-35 has an operational mission radius greater than 700 nautical miles in low observable configurations and internal fuel capacity of nearly 19,000 pounds. When the mission doesn't require low observability, the F-35 can carry more than 18,000 pounds of ordnance.

Additionally, Poland will benefit from a planned modernization program that will be funded by the full F-35 enterprise and will continue to enhance the aircraft’s weapons capacity, electronic warfare suite, sensor capability and more.

The F-35 is the European aircraft of choice for replacing heritage fleets and offers unmatched interoperability with NATO and other allied assets while ensuring the Polish Air Force’s role as a fully interoperable, integrated member of NATO and coalition operations.

The advanced sensors of the F-35 will enhance situational awareness for the entire Polish Armed Forces and strengthen Poland’s capability to fulfill their NATO Baltic air policing mission.

The current Polish F-16 pilots will benefit from having the F-35 join the Polish Air Force fleet and those who transition will benefit from common training, equipment and tactics with other NATO countries. There is also increased opportunity for joint training exercises, which we have seen demonstrated at Red Flag, Trident Juncture and more.

The F-35 will deliver a key discriminator for Poland and its Allies for decades to come.

At less than $80 million USD, the F-35 truly is a 5th Generation aircraft at equal to or less than the price of legacy 4th Generation aircraft. With smart acquisition strategies, strong government-industry partnership and a relentless focus on cost reduction, the F-35 enterprise successfully reduced procurement costs.

Polish industrial opportunities fall into two main categories: Direct Supply Chain and Technology Transfer.

F-35 Supply Chain opportunities to support:
-- F-35 Production of more than 3,000 aircraft
-- Fleet-wide F-35 sustainment for more than 30 years
-- Modernization of in-country manufacturing expertise through participation in the most advanced 5thGen Fighter

Technology Transfer opportunities associated with:
-- Sustainment of Polish F-35, F-16, and C-130s
-- Enhancing training of pilot and maintenance personnel
-- Advancement of Space Technologies
-- Cooperation in Research & Development
-- Advancement of UAS and drone technologies

Final details on Polish industry’s involvement in the F-35 program and other associated benefits will be disclosed as we move through the acquisition process. On the F-35 program, companies are evaluated on a best-value basis and Polish industry will be given opportunities to participate in the production and sustainment of the F-35.

-ends-

Last edited:
What a great news. For those that have grown with Gdansk worker on TV fighting for freedom from behind the ignominious iron curtain, what a giant step in 30 years.
Same can be said for LM and the DoD. From a secretive silver bullet to mass produced layman ride, what an adventurous journey for both ( no nations or groupement of nation's have still reached such feat today).

Last edited:
This was a no brainer for the Poles and a boon for NATO.

With their long border with Kaliningrad, Ukraine, and Belarus, the Poles have a unique front row seat to Russian aggression. The seizure of the Crimean Peninsula, of course, has had the most profound effect. There is an interesting story put out by Vice a few years ago that presents the perspective of the civilian population and their interest in civilian defense preparations. I'll provide a link below.

Poles feel themselves at the "tip of the spear." With the biennial Anaconda exercise including upwards of 100,000 participants, the US commitment to a Division HQ (Forward), Area Support Group, aerial port of debarkation, Spec Ops, USAF drone ISR squadron, Combat Training Center (there are three in the world, two in US and one in Germany), and additional support infrastructure, it sounds like US assets in Germany are moving to Poland. Who knows. What they will get is serious infrastructure upgrades to support very heavy US combat divisions.

The Poles have operated three squadrons of Block 52 F-16's for almost a dozen years. Their F-16's have received upgrades to carry most if not all US munitions including the JASSM-ER. From Red Flag in Alaska, Polish pilots have deployed to Kuwait, Syria and Iraq, as well as NATO’s Baltic Air Policing duties as well as regular in-country and neighborhood exercises. These opportunities ensure the proficiency of their pilots. But the boon is that the F-35 support infrastructure will extend to Poland. US and other NATO F-35's will be able to seamlessly operate through Polish F-35 bases. Something that is not possible at German AFB's. Poland, along with Norway, will be the two NATO counties closest to Russia that operate the F-35.

Originally, it was reported they intended to purchase 64 5th gen fighters. Perhaps the operational cost as well as the reported force multiplication of the F-35 has reduced this purchase to 32? Regardless, I expect having several additional squadrons of NATO's premier 5th gen fighter permanently on their doorstep will give some comfort to Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

By "that info" I assume you're talking about the .gif you uploaded? It's an authoritative source, but it's also old; DAS sensor coverage is definitely not arranged like that and it's my understanding that they're currently 1MP MWIR sensors, not 0.3MP MWIR+LWIR.

. But the boon is that the F-35 support infrastructure will extend to Poland. US and other NATO F-35's will be able to seamlessly operate through Polish F-35 bases. Something that is not possible at German AFB's. Poland, along with Norway, will be the two NATO counties closest to Russia that operate the F-35.
I suppose the real boon is that their former Mod got a ticket to the Top of E. U. Aren't all Germans happy?

By "that info" I assume you're talking about the .gif you uploaded? It's an authoritative source, but it's also old; DAS sensor coverage is definitely not arranged like that and it's my understanding that they're currently 1MP MWIR sensors, not 0.3MP MWIR+LWIR.
TBH I am more interested in EOTS, specifically its working angles. With them being same as on picture it won't be able to use GBU munitions itself.

Also note that the aircraft silhouette, at least the side one, is the F-22. Probably doesn't matter.

TBH I am more interested in EOTS, specifically its working angles. With them being same as on picture it won't be able to use GBU munitions itself.
It's already been successfully tested with GBU-12/49s, so picture is likely wrong. ;)

You definitely would have heard about it if the F-35 was unable to self-designate laser guided weapons.

Here's a diagram that gives you a more accurate representation of the EOTS FOV (in the top-left):

16036ba4379fa8dbd3c61d655bb8c7bf.jpeg

It's been used in a few different presentations too:

2hIRZDC.jpg

Also, in every F-35 cockpit simulator I've seen, they either show the EOTS field of regard ring (which is a static green or pink circle where a same-coloured square dot moves around in, showing where the sensor is pointed / how close it is to gimbal limits) as either a plain circle (with a bit of polygon jaggedness), or a circle with a shallow notch at the rear (which is likely more representative of the operational thing).

F-35+Panoramic+Cockpit+Display.jpg

2000x1333_q95.jpg

Do we know if it was autonomous usage or with buddylasing?
I'm with Dragon029 here, if the F-35 couldn't self-designate, Pierre Sprey and Picard Wordpress would have been informing us about the fact repeatedly for the last 10 years. I also can't see a design spec saying, "EOTS to laser designate but not for host aircraft."

Last edited: