Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Not much of a problem, I guess...

And with a future potential order from Romania that will replace it's MiG-21 fleet the future for the F-35s orders in Europe looks very promising.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Definitively, the stealth well in the middle of Western Europe is not going to be that... stealthy.

iu

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

I wonder if they'll eventually get 100 (One on one replacement for the F/A-18A/B)?
The Program of Record has Australia planning 100. They currently have 72 formally ordered with the last of these due in 2023. Whether they get the remaining ones will depend upon multiple things including developments such as the MQ-28. That said, it should be noted that even the 72 will provide a significant upgrade over the F/A-18A/Bs not only in terms of physical platform capabilities but also in numbers. Remember that the RAAF originally had 75 F/A-18s (4 were subsequently lost and not replaced) but these were a mix of 57 F/A-18As (2 lost) and 18 F/A-18Bs (2 lost). Therefore, when it comes to considering full operational fighters one could argue that we should be comparing 57 (55) F/A-18As to 72 F-35As, a 25 - 30% increase in numbers.

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

I wonder if they'll eventually get 100 (One on one replacement for the F/A-18A/B)?
The Program of Record has Australia planning 100. They currently have 72 formally ordered with the last of these due in 2023. Whether they get the remaining ones will depend upon multiple things including developments such as the MQ-28. That said, it should be noted that even the 72 will provide a significant upgrade over the F/A-18A/Bs not only in terms of physical platform capabilities but also in numbers. Remember that the RAAF originally had 75 F/A-18s (4 were subsequently lost and not replaced) but these were a mix of 57 F/A-18As (2 lost) and 18 F/A-18Bs (2 lost). Therefore, when it comes to considering full operational fighters one could argue that we should be comparing 57 (55) F/A-18As to 72 F-35As, a 25 - 30% increase in numbers.
The original 100 number was back when it was intended that the F-35 was also to directly replace Australias F-111s (i.e. a one type fleet). Australia then bought Super Hornets as an “interim” F-111 replacement (and “original” Hornet complement) with the stated intention of looking again at the full 100 F-35 buy with an additional 25 (in addition to the main 75 buy) as potential early replacements for the Super Hornets.

Subsequently the Australians also bought F/A-18G Growlers and in that context plus context of intended unmanned “loyal wingmen” etc. a near term increase of the Australian F-35 buy back up to originally intended 100 and/or early replacement of the Super Hornet fleet appears less likely.

Opportunistic Minnow

Reaction score
Finally saw my 1st F-35 (2-ship) yesterday. Considering I live in Norfolk, near not one but two bases equipped with the things, took you long enough! A not unpleasing sound but [2] pushed up over a residential area to close up (tsk, tsk). The F-15 drivers are more considerate. Newbies! :p

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Last edited:

FighterJock

Reaction score

Interesting that the Czech Republic is considering purchasing the F-35 as a replacement for it's Gripen fleet. I did not realise that the Czech Air Force had the Gripen for as long as that, surely the Gripen's still have many hours of flight still left in them.

Fluff

Reaction score

Interesting that the Czech Republic is considering purchasing the F-35 as a replacement for it's Gripen fleet. I did not realise that the Czech Air Force had the Gripen for as long as that, surely the Gripen's still have many hours of flight still left in them.
Didnt they lease them?

FighterJock

Reaction score

Didnt they lease them?

Ah! thanks for that Fluff, plus any idea as to the cost of the purchase of the F-35 and potential models involved F-35A/B?

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score

Didnt they lease them?
yup leased for 17 years.. time sure flies!
its still strange for me to read headlines like that the Gripen is already being replaced
or the Typhoon being phased out in Austria, etc

Fluff

Reaction score

Didnt they lease them?
yup leased for 17 years.. time sure flies!
its still strange for me to read headlines like that the Gripen is already being replaced
or the Typhoon being phased out in Austria, etc
Trouble is, as of Feb 24 it became a sellers market, not a buyers market. A lot of people are going to be exercising their options, keeping older aircraft on etc. I'm going to guess that at least in the short term, they have to either keep the Gripen, or take used F16 from USA.