Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

I would take any of POGO's 'reporting' with a fist full of salt, especially anything on the F-35.
More like a truck load. IIRC they were the people paying Sprey & Co. to attack the JSF at every turn back in the day.

To give you a feel for the future:

f-35a-german-air-force-wing-33-nuclear-mission-2jDVU.jpg

f-35a-swiss-air-force-j-6018-DFkMa.jpg

I'm wondering if and when a two-seat version is going to be developed?
It's never going to be.
Don't be so sure as it might still happen. I remember reading a USMC paper concerning the need for a two-seat F-35 based on their experience with the F/A-18 Hornet and a two-seater could be made by modifying the F-35B so there's a second seat instead of the lift-fan.

@NMaude There is still the proposed study case for a "new variant" apparently pitched to an "undisclosed customer".

@NMaude There is still the proposed study case for a "new variant" apparently pitched to an "undisclosed customer".

What are the odds that this "Undisclosed customer" is Israel? Also do you have a link to this study please?

@NMaude Yes, probably "Undisclosed" means "Isreal"

Lockheed Martin has been contracted to design and develop a variant of its F-35 Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) geared towards the requirements of an unspecified foreign customer.

The US Department of Defense (DoD) announced on 27 December that the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) had been awarded USD49 million to support its work on an F-35 variant “tailored” for an undisclosed Foreign Military Sale (FMS) customer. Work related to this particular award is expected to run through to December 2026...

They already carry AV-8Bs, so hasn't that errr.... ship already sailed?
Normally the amphib ships carry a mixed air wing, so mostly helo, to support the marine landing, this will be a pure F35 ship, so it is a miniCV.

RTFA?

It talks about how this exercise builds on experience with AV-8B. This will be the first time deploying 20 F-35B on an amphib. That goes specifically to the "Lightning" in the Lightning Carrier concept. An air wing with 20 stealth strike fighters is a really different prospect than one with the same number of Harriers. With Harrier, you have mainly a BAI/CAS capability, while F-35 makes you start thinking about how you could use it for strike warfare and war-at-sea maritime strikes.

Last edited:

RTFA?

It talks about how this exercise builds on experience with AB-8B. This will be the first time deploying 20 F-35B on an amphib. That goes specifically to the "Lighting" in the Lightning Carrier concept. An air wing with 20 stealth strike fighters is a really different prospect than one with the same number of Harriers. With Harrier, you have mainly a BAI/CAS capability, while F-35 makes you start thinking about how you could use it for strike warfare and war-at-sea maritime strikes.
The f35 carrier is a game changer! The biggest limiting factor is the lack of nuclear propulsion

It's never going to be.
Don't be so sure as it might still happen. I remember reading a USMC paper concerning the need for a two-seat F-35 based on their experience with the F/A-18 Hornet and a two-seater could be made by modifying the F-35B so there's a second seat instead of the lift-fan.
So the USMC, the very reason the F35B exists (which is probably the single biggest problem source for the airframe), are dropping STOVL requirements?

Didn't they have to get new decks for the 35s engines temps?
No, just a new coating.

It's never going to be.
It wouldn't need to be a tandem seat arrangement, I'm in the process of building a 2-seat F-35B model which would retain the lift fan, it will be a side-by-side arrangement. I have found that the TF-106 nose fits right onto the main bulkhead that the cockpit is attached to without making the bulkhead wider, it also has the benefit of having a very similar cross-section to the F-35's. The TF-106 nose will be slightly modified to look a little more like a F-35 than a TF-106 though, changes to the canopy, F-35 style radome, sharpening up the chine edge etc.

The bulkhead I mention above, is actually wider than most existing side-by-side designs that were used.

It's never going to be.
So the USMC, the very reason the F35B exists (which is probably the single biggest problem source for the airframe), are dropping STOVL requirements?
I doubt if they will ever build a 2-seater version of F-35. Previously, 2- seaters were primarily used as transition trainers for pilots new to a new generation of fighter. But modern - ground-based - flight simulators are realistic enough to provide transition training plus some re-currency training .... re-currency training costing many thousands of dollars per hour.

The other use for 2-seaters is the F-18 Growler electronic warfare version where all the extra electronic counter-measures are so complex that they need a dedicated second crew-member. That second crew-member does not even need to train for pilot duties as he is too busy navigating and chasing electrons. Increased sophistication of avionics allow little black boxes to make many of the decisions currently made by the second crew-member.

Last edited:
This new concept brings strike aircraft carriers back into the price range of medium-sized navies like Argentina, Brazil, India, Italy, Spain, etc.
It also raises questions about a tanker able to fly from that short deck. While the quick-and-dirty solution is merely hanging buddy-refueling pods under VTOL F-35s, that proves prohibitively expensive in the long run.
The long term solution requires a VTOL drone that can work as an unpiloted tanker, COD or electronic warfare plane. An un-manned drone will vastly reduce long-term costs.

Last edited:
It wouldn't need to be a tandem seat arrangement, I'm in the process of building a 2-seat F-35B model which would retain the lift fan, it will be a side-by-side arrangement.
Let's not confuse fantasy model building (which I am fully supportive of...just not for this thread) with reality.

It's never going to be.
It wouldn't need to be a tandem seat arrangement, I'm in the process of building a 2-seat F-35B model which would retain the lift fan, it will be a side-by-side arrangement.
Don't even joke about such a monstrosity. :eek:

Well, now that we have Germany in the program, I dare you not to think at a Zwilling F-35; Albeit called... The F-66*!

*F-35 + (P-82-P-51)

Last edited:

The Marines also have several squadrons of F-35C for operations from aircraft carriers.

The Marines also have several squadrons of F-35C for operations from aircraft carriers.
Yep. F-35B replaces their Harriers and the F-35C replaces their legacy Hornets.

It's never going to be.

No, I'm saying there are certain roles where a second crew-member maybe needed, say, for example an electronic warfare variant.

No, I'm saying there are certain roles where a second crew-member maybe needed, say, for example an electronic warfare variant.

It's hard to figure out when/where the USN/UC would need it, though. On a full carrier, the Growler fills the role. On a big-deck amphib, F-35B needs the lift fan.

On a big-deck amphib, F-35B needs the lift fan.

If a two-seat version of the F-35 was developed (Call it the F-35D) for the USMC and/or the USN it would likely be a modified F-35B forward fuselage (Lift-fan replaced by a second seat) attached to an F-35C (Centre and aft-fuselage plus wings, tailplane and landing gear) and be deployed on a regular carrier. If such a version was developed for the USAF I image the modified -B forward fuselage would be mounted on an F-35A airframe.

It's never going to be.
There are lots of papers published..... a Paper is just that and not even worth the paper it's printed in