• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

Ronny

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
What is non-MADL EA mech function? is it the acronym for electronic attack mechanism?

RclUR2V.jpg

Dragon029

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
If you read the original set of DefenseNews articles that came out last year, the deficiencies for the B and C exist simply because they each individually had a single test flight where their tails were damaged from extended afterburner usage, at around Mach 1.3 or so, at high altitude. They tried to replicate the damage to identify the exact conditions that caused it, but they were never able to cause the damage ever again (this was all back 5+ years ago).

In the period since that tail damage was observed, they did put new coatings onto the tail surfaces that face the afterburner plume, and that might have helped, but because they couldn't replicate the damage, and yet the damage did happen (maybe there was some atmospheric condition like atmospheric temperature that they didn't record and haven't been able to replicate), they can't verify that the issue is well and truly gone.

So some ~200,000 flight hours later, with no further cases of tail damage, they're leaving it as an open deficiency with a pilot-enforced time limit on afterburner use within a certain part of the flight envelope where they speculate some pilot might one day run into the conditions that caused the damage. If an F-35C or F-35B pilot does one day have the need to use their afterburner beyond the current restrictions, there's nothing stopping them from breaking the time limits, it's just that they'll need to have a reasonable answer as to why they broke the rule during the debrief.

According to the JPO PEO they've also decided to leave it open, rather than file it as 'closed with an acceptable pilot workaround', just so that (eg) 15 years from now, some JPO or USN F-35 integration office manager will hopefully be able to recognise that a new stealth material used for a hypersonic stealth platform is going to be worth investigating retrofitting onto the F-35B and F-35C.

fredymac

Reaction score

I read the article that was directly linked and it had none of the context you provided. Of course that would have killed the story showing why someone like you will never be hired by the media. The originating article allowed program officials to respond. It is illustrative that Defense News chose to dismiss their explanations and do another run minus their inputs (how many people click back to source references and that includes me on the first go).

Flyaway

Reaction score

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

E-V Bomber

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Anything to deflect attention. The man says a lot of things. Few rarely come to fruition...
It’s a reaction, not a deflection; a reaction to the recently released GAO report which criticised the F-35’s supply chain and specifically highlighted the Pentagon’s initiative to remove Turkish companies from the JSF supply chain as something which could further exacerbate this problem.

VTOLicious

Reaction score
Anything to deflect attention. The man says a lot of things. Few rarely come to fruition...
It’s a reaction, not a deflection; a reaction to the recently released GAO report which criticised the F-35’s supply chain and specifically highlighted the Pentagon’s initiative to remove Turkish companies from the JSF supply chain as something which could further exacerbate this problem.
An educated assessment by Defense News...
https://www.defensenews.com/air/202...the-f-35s-supply-chain-here-are-some-answers/

Sundog

Reaction score
Daily stretch-out exercise... Today: zygomatics

How long did it take the McClaren to reach Mach 1 and did it pull 9Gs on the skidpad? That basically covers my thoughts on these videos.

Having said that, I would love to own a Speedtail, it's one of my favorite supercars.

zebra159357

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

kitnut617

Reaction score
A black week for stealth jets and particulary for Eglin.
Maybe the airframe isn’t a total right off, considering it “crashed upon landing”?
Is there another report, I didn't read anything in that article that said that's what happened.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I get the feeling home grown will want that one and come up with a conformal pasta making machine instead. Much better for relief/refugee ops.

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

“I was flying out at 700 knots in the C model up and down the East Coast of the state of Maryland and Delaware — that’s where we fly at Pax River — and then out over the ocean, firing missiles at almost 1.6 Mach as we cleared out the weapons for the airplane. That’s extreme speed, and that’s repeated flights in those environments,” said Flynn, who has flown more than 800 hours in all three F-35 variants.
“Make a run at 700 knots, make another run at 700 knots, go to an aerial refueling tanker, get fuel for myself … and then race out again and again and again. Repeat this cycle for four- and five-hour missions,” he added.
Similarly, the flights for the B model involved aggressive maneuvering at the edge of the aircraft’s flight envelope for hours at a time.

Last edited:

helmutkohl

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

translation.
Japan installs terrain avoidance systems on its F-35s after the loss of its own a while back

Sundog

Reaction score

“I was flying out at 700 knots in the C model up and down the East Coast of the state of Maryland and Delaware — that’s where we fly at Pax River — and then out over the ocean, firing missiles at almost 1.6 Mach as we cleared out the weapons for the airplane. That’s extreme speed, and that’s repeated flights in those environments,” said Flynn, who has flown more than 800 hours in all three F-35 variants.
“Make a run at 700 knots, make another run at 700 knots, go to an aerial refueling tanker, get fuel for myself … and then race out again and again and again. Repeat this cycle for four- and five-hour missions,” he added.
Similarly, the flights for the B model involved aggressive maneuvering at the edge of the aircraft’s flight envelope for hours at a time.
Basically, this article confirms my view that the F-35 will mainly be operated as a strike aircraft with some self defense capability. I'm not surprised by it, since that's how the aircraft it's replacing have mostly operated, but it's good to see it finally put into writing. Now, once it can carry long range AAM's, the new generation AMRAAM replacements, that's going to really increase it's lethality in the air to air arena.

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
That low energy cat launch looks pretty unconvincing to me and that is in a clean config too. Stores aboard and there might be a pilot/airframe run down.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Low energy cat-launch are done that way, perhaps to prevent a fully laden aircraft detonating on the ship bow.... :rolleyes:

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
That low energy cat launch looks pretty unconvincing to me and that is in a clean config too. Stores aboard and there might be a pilot/airframe run down.
Yeah, that's not how testing works. You don't just load it to the gills, turn the cat down to 1 and let 'er rip. :rolleyes:

Josh_TN

Reaction score
More over, the F-35 would probably most commonly be launched in a clean configuration. But I assume they actually wanted to reuse the pilot and airframe as well.

Jeb

Reaction score
Notice there was no afterburner?

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
Yes I did notice that and thought it odd but it was only stated as a low power cat launch. Not being familiar with this practice it seemed unconvincing. Not claiming to be an expert in everything.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The idea is to test the least favorable conditions for a launch (wind, catapult and airframe). Lightning the AB will simply put you out of this.

The Rafale test were done that way also.