• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Plenty of other places to fly from and Cyprus is not that far away. A chance of flying from Greek locations etc etc.

VTOLicious

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
"The F-35 was once the Pentagon’s high-profile problem child. Has it finally moved past its reputation of being an overhyped and underperforming warplane?"
By Valerie Insinna

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
Plenty of other places to fly from and Cyprus is not that far away. A chance of flying from Greek locations etc etc.

and... let's face it... being based in Greece or Cyprus vs Turkey?

Frankly, it's likely that there is a already a significant US presence on those old British bases in Cyprus.

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

and... let's face it... being based in Greece or Cyprus vs Turkey?

Frankly, it's likely that there is a already a significant US presence on those old British bases in Cyprus.
U-2s fly out of there.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

F-35: The Right Choice for Poland
(Source: Lockheed Martin; issued Aug 30, 2019)

The F-35A is the best value solution for replacing Poland’s existing MiG-29 and Su-22 jets in the Polish fleet, and is available today to meet the needs of the Polish Air Force now and into the future.

Lockheed Martin is a trusted partner for Poland, for Europe and NATO and we’re invested in supporting the long-term strategic priorities of the Polish Ministry of Defense. In addition to providing Poland with a mature, 5th Generation weapon system, acquisition of the F-35 will bring supply chain and technology transfer opportunities to Poland.

The F-35 will reinforce Poland’s defense leadership in Central Europe and ensure the Polish Air Force’s offensive and defensive capabilities continue to outpace advancing threats.

With unparalleled stealth, advanced sensors, supersonic speed, weapons capacity and increased range, the F-35 is the most advanced, survivable and connected fighter jet ever built.

With advanced threats in close proximity, Poland’s defense and security requires a low observable stealth aircraft to ensure survivability and mission effectiveness. The F-35’s unique mix of stealth and sensor technology can enable the Polish Air Force to covertly patrol, monitor and conduct surveillance without being detected.

The F-35 has an operational mission radius greater than 700 nautical miles in low observable configurations and internal fuel capacity of nearly 19,000 pounds. When the mission doesn't require low observability, the F-35 can carry more than 18,000 pounds of ordnance.

Additionally, Poland will benefit from a planned modernization program that will be funded by the full F-35 enterprise and will continue to enhance the aircraft’s weapons capacity, electronic warfare suite, sensor capability and more.

The F-35 is the European aircraft of choice for replacing heritage fleets and offers unmatched interoperability with NATO and other allied assets while ensuring the Polish Air Force’s role as a fully interoperable, integrated member of NATO and coalition operations.

The advanced sensors of the F-35 will enhance situational awareness for the entire Polish Armed Forces and strengthen Poland’s capability to fulfill their NATO Baltic air policing mission.

The current Polish F-16 pilots will benefit from having the F-35 join the Polish Air Force fleet and those who transition will benefit from common training, equipment and tactics with other NATO countries. There is also increased opportunity for joint training exercises, which we have seen demonstrated at Red Flag, Trident Juncture and more.

The F-35 will deliver a key discriminator for Poland and its Allies for decades to come.

At less than $80 million USD, the F-35 truly is a 5th Generation aircraft at equal to or less than the price of legacy 4th Generation aircraft. With smart acquisition strategies, strong government-industry partnership and a relentless focus on cost reduction, the F-35 enterprise successfully reduced procurement costs.

Polish industrial opportunities fall into two main categories: Direct Supply Chain and Technology Transfer.

F-35 Supply Chain opportunities to support:
-- F-35 Production of more than 3,000 aircraft
-- Fleet-wide F-35 sustainment for more than 30 years
-- Modernization of in-country manufacturing expertise through participation in the most advanced 5thGen Fighter

Technology Transfer opportunities associated with:
-- Sustainment of Polish F-35, F-16, and C-130s
-- Enhancing training of pilot and maintenance personnel
-- Advancement of Space Technologies
-- Cooperation in Research & Development
-- Advancement of UAS and drone technologies

Final details on Polish industry’s involvement in the F-35 program and other associated benefits will be disclosed as we move through the acquisition process. On the F-35 program, companies are evaluated on a best-value basis and Polish industry will be given opportunities to participate in the production and sustainment of the F-35.

-ends-

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
What a great news. For those that have grown with Gdansk worker on TV fighting for freedom from behind the ignominious iron curtain, what a giant step in 30 years.
Same can be said for LM and the DoD. From a secretive silver bullet to mass produced layman ride, what an adventurous journey for both ( no nations or groupement of nation's have still reached such feat today).

Last edited:

NeilChapman

Interested 3rd party
Reaction score
This was a no brainer for the Poles and a boon for NATO.

With their long border with Kaliningrad, Ukraine, and Belarus, the Poles have a unique front row seat to Russian aggression. The seizure of the Crimean Peninsula, of course, has had the most profound effect. There is an interesting story put out by Vice a few years ago that presents the perspective of the civilian population and their interest in civilian defense preparations. I'll provide a link below.

Poles feel themselves at the "tip of the spear." With the biennial Anaconda exercise including upwards of 100,000 participants, the US commitment to a Division HQ (Forward), Area Support Group, aerial port of debarkation, Spec Ops, USAF drone ISR squadron, Combat Training Center (there are three in the world, two in US and one in Germany), and additional support infrastructure, it sounds like US assets in Germany are moving to Poland. Who knows. What they will get is serious infrastructure upgrades to support very heavy US combat divisions.

The Poles have operated three squadrons of Block 52 F-16's for almost a dozen years. Their F-16's have received upgrades to carry most if not all US munitions including the JASSM-ER. From Red Flag in Alaska, Polish pilots have deployed to Kuwait, Syria and Iraq, as well as NATO’s Baltic Air Policing duties as well as regular in-country and neighborhood exercises. These opportunities ensure the proficiency of their pilots. But the boon is that the F-35 support infrastructure will extend to Poland. US and other NATO F-35's will be able to seamlessly operate through Polish F-35 bases. Something that is not possible at German AFB's. Poland, along with Norway, will be the two NATO counties closest to Russia that operate the F-35.

Originally, it was reported they intended to purchase 64 5th gen fighters. Perhaps the operational cost as well as the reported force multiplication of the F-35 has reduced this purchase to 32? Regardless, I expect having several additional squadrons of NATO's premier 5th gen fighter permanently on their doorstep will give some comfort to Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

Dragon029

Reaction score
By "that info" I assume you're talking about the .gif you uploaded? It's an authoritative source, but it's also old; DAS sensor coverage is definitely not arranged like that and it's my understanding that they're currently 1MP MWIR sensors, not 0.3MP MWIR+LWIR.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
. But the boon is that the F-35 support infrastructure will extend to Poland. US and other NATO F-35's will be able to seamlessly operate through Polish F-35 bases. Something that is not possible at German AFB's. Poland, along with Norway, will be the two NATO counties closest to Russia that operate the F-35.
I suppose the real boon is that their former Mod got a ticket to the Top of E. U. Aren't all Germans happy?

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
By "that info" I assume you're talking about the .gif you uploaded? It's an authoritative source, but it's also old; DAS sensor coverage is definitely not arranged like that and it's my understanding that they're currently 1MP MWIR sensors, not 0.3MP MWIR+LWIR.
TBH I am more interested in EOTS, specifically its working angles. With them being same as on picture it won't be able to use GBU munitions itself.

Jeb

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Also note that the aircraft silhouette, at least the side one, is the F-22. Probably doesn't matter.

Forest Green

Reaction score
TBH I am more interested in EOTS, specifically its working angles. With them being same as on picture it won't be able to use GBU munitions itself.
It's already been successfully tested with GBU-12/49s, so picture is likely wrong. ;)

Dragon029

Reaction score
You definitely would have heard about it if the F-35 was unable to self-designate laser guided weapons.

Here's a diagram that gives you a more accurate representation of the EOTS FOV (in the top-left):

16036ba4379fa8dbd3c61d655bb8c7bf.jpeg

It's been used in a few different presentations too:

2hIRZDC.jpg

Also, in every F-35 cockpit simulator I've seen, they either show the EOTS field of regard ring (which is a static green or pink circle where a same-coloured square dot moves around in, showing where the sensor is pointed / how close it is to gimbal limits) as either a plain circle (with a bit of polygon jaggedness), or a circle with a shallow notch at the rear (which is likely more representative of the operational thing).

Forest Green

Reaction score
Do we know if it was autonomous usage or with buddylasing?
I'm with Dragon029 here, if the F-35 couldn't self-designate, Pierre Sprey and Picard Wordpress would have been informing us about the fact repeatedly for the last 10 years. I also can't see a design spec saying, "EOTS to laser designate but not for host aircraft."

Last edited:

bobbymike

Reaction score

bobbymike

Reaction score

seruriermarshal

Reaction score
Another F-35 squadron

Eielson Air Force Base reactivated the 356th Fighter Squadron and named a new commander on Oct. 10, in preparation for the arrival of the U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning IIs to interior Alaska.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
An F-35 pilot describes how he landed safely after losing one of his flight computers in mid-air

In May 2019, Capt. Robert Larson, a 61st Fighter Squadron student pilot, was on a training mission when he found himself faced with an in-flight emergency. Larson called upon his human performance optimization training and saved not only himself but the F-35A Lightning II he was flying from any damage.
"I was pretty high up, about 34,000 feet, and all of a sudden everything got really quiet," said Larson. "I tried to call my flight lead and realized I couldn't talk to anybody. I started descending, working through my checklist and rocking my wings to try and let my flight lead know that I didn't have a radio. As I got further into the checklist I realized I had lost one of the flight computers that was responsible for controlling oxygen, pressurization, and some parts of communication."
There might be lessons to learn for some here.

Source:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Norway’s F-35s have a problem with a unique piece of gear
By: Valerie Insinna

“It’s not working the way we expected, and they are working on reconfiguring this capability,” Norwegian air chief Brig. Gen. Tonje Skinnarland said in an exclusive interview with Defense News on Thursday.
“That said, our experience operating the F-35 on slippery airfields is that it’s more safe and easier than with the F-16s,” she added. “With the stability of the [F-35] aircraft, it’s easier to take off and land on slippery airfields. … It’s performing extremely well.”
Also
“For Norway, the F-35 is not an air force capability in itself. It’s a more strategic, important, new capability for the joint force of Norway, for the defense of Norway and [for] our possibility to be the NATO in the north, providing our part of the deterrence threshold,” Skinnarland said.
“The performance of the aircraft — in general and in Norwegian conditions specifically — is more than expected. It’s an incredible capability. It performs extremely well in cold weather and the sensor capability and fusion is remarkable also when it comes to our challenging environment with the geography, topography and distance,” she said
[...]
Norway has already amassed 15 F-35s at Ørland, as well as the trained pilots and technicians it needs for IOC. The deployment, where F-35 operators will rely on containerized versions of F-35 support systems like the Autonomic Information Logistics System, is the last requirement needed for the milestone, Skinnarland said. “We need to verify that this works.”

Flyaway

Reaction score
The RN aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth sailed from Portsmouth on 30 August for its ‘Westlant 19’ operational trials off the east coast of the US. Source: Richard Scott
The UK Royal Navy (RN) aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth sailed from Portsmouth on 30 August to undertake operational trials off the east coast of the United States.
Known as 'Westlant 19,' the deployment will see the carrier conduct operational testing (OT-1) with UK F-35B Lightning aircraft. 'Westlant 19' will also 'operationalise' the UK Carrier Strike Group (CSG) construct ahead of a first deployment planned for 2021.
Building on last year's 'Westlant 18' deployment, during which Queen Elizabeth completed development testing (DT-1/DT-2) with the F-35B, OT-1 will see the carrier conduct five weeks of testing with F-35Bs and pilots drawn from No 17(R) Test and Evaluation Squadron, and the Lightning Force at Royal Air Force (RAF) Marham (No 207 Squadron and No 617 Squadron).

seruriermarshal

Reaction score
First British F-35Bs (17 Squadron) land onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth – Westlant 19 deployment

Attachments