• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
I cannot help but think the F-22 is a huge lost opportunity and it really does not have to be that way. Or perhaps it does and logic is upside down.

In_A_Dream

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I cannot help but think the F-22 is a huge lost opportunity and it really does not have to be that way. Or perhaps it does and logic is upside down.
Family of systems is the way of the future, no sense in bringing the F-22 back when we need to keep the edge sharp RE: China.

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
I was talking more of the airframe, systems and updates can and should be to the fore whenever we have an aircraft in service for multiple decades. The airframe was pretty well developed and even now and into the future will remain relevant so the low number in service has always thrown my logic circuit into disarray. It remains one heck of an aircraft.

EwenS

Reaction score
Last I heard the tooling was still extant, when was it scrapped?
Tooling hasn't been scrapped, it was "lost" then found again during an audit.

It's still at the Sierra Army Depot.
Back in 2016 the USAF produced a report on bringing the F-22 back into production. Cost then projected to be $10bn and if funded from FY20 could be in service in 2027. And no doubt the electronics will need overhauled/replaced/redeveloped even if the airframe can be manufactured.

So inevitably cost will have increased and service entry moved to the right. And in 2030 will it still be the best aircraft for the following 50 years or would you be better starting now with a clean sheet of paper? I’ve lit the fuse....!!!

Foo Fighter

Reaction score
F-35 systems and RAM would basically make it an F-22-2. How long of an over run will there be for the next aircraft?

Hanz2k

The truth is grey...
Reaction score
It’s not worth the effort and you have already NGAD in test flights + USAF want to switch into Agile technology deployment - 5-10 years of technology advantage in each generation released every 5 years.

BDF

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
F-35 systems and RAM would basically make it an F-22-2. How long of an over run will there be for the next aircraft?
Eh this is the same argument they made for a modified F-15 before the F-22 became operational. I love the Raptor and its a damn shame we didn't buy what we really needed. But we can't keep dragging old air frames along. Keep it updated but we really need to push ahead with the NGAD system.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
And to end the Bizarre recent story of a potential sale of F-22 to Israel (can't remember in which thread this was discussed):

Last edited:

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
To ensure that it remains relevant for years to come, the Ogden Air Logistics Complex’s 574th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, through collaborative efforts of the F-22 System Program Office along with partners Lockheed Martin and Boeing, recently completed the last aircraft to go through the F-22 Structural Repair Program that has been generating aircraft for the last 14 years.

“This is a great milestone for the program,” said Misty Stone, 574th AMXS director. “Since Hill Air Force Base gained the F-22 workload in 2006, the 574th AMXS team of 400 employees has remained focused and dedicated on expanding the combat capabilities of the F-22 weapon system,”

The program was responsible for increasing mission capabilities by performing structural modifications to increase total flying hour serviceability on each aircraft by 8,000 hours.

The maintenance team processed 247 F-22 Raptors through six unique maintenance machines for structural repair, modification, coatings restoration and aircraft damage repair while completing more than 8,645 Time Compliance Technical Orders totaling over 3,880,000 hours; approximately 1,550,000 hours were dedicated to coating restoration, with the remaining 2,328,000 hours focused on mitigating corrosion, aircraft modifications, modernization and repair.

tequilashooter

Reaction score
F-22 Structural Repair Program: Life Extension and Modernization (topwar.ru)

Almost the same as Tomcats source but has something like this in it which I do not know if its old info.

"The current electronics upgrade is part of the Raptor Agile Capability Release 1 (RACR 1) project, which runs until 2024. This project is reported to affect communications systems, electronic warfare and cockpit equipment. All these measures will expand the capabilities of aircraft, as well as relieve them of inherent problems.

In its current form, the F-22A communicate using its own IDL (Intraflight Data Link) protocol, and additional hardware is required for integration into the Link 16 circuits. As part of RACR 1, aircraft will receive communication equipment compatible with the Link 16 bus. In addition, they will introduce the Multifunction Information Distribution System-Joint (MIDS-J) system, with the help of which the fighter will be able to effectively operate in the same network with other aircraft, ships and ground forces.

In 2024, a new modernization program starts - Mid-Life Upgrade. The development of such an upgrade has not yet been completed. It is assumed that the updated F-22A will receive new radar and other means, a modern computer, new weapons, etc."

I love hearing news about F-16 production plans, modernization of F-15s and the best of all modernization for the F-22.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
And a revised version on AF.mil

The 574th maintenance team processed 135 F-22 Raptors through six unique maintenance machines for structural repair, modification, coatings restoration and aircraft damage repair while completing thousands of hours of Time Compliance Technical Orders. In addition, hundreds of thousands of hours were dedicated to coating restoration, mitigating corrosion, aircraft modifications, modernization and repair.

With the program completed, the 574th AMXS will shift from a workload that was a structural based requirement to a 10-year reversion workload, which is a new sustainment modification that was first prototyped in 2019.

TSARb

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Good old photo, 2x upscaled

ab69a94a155100eb6430a7e435e20366.jpg

Originally here: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6084999

And two more, without upscaling:
1182411.jpg

1324054.jpg

Last edited:

Dreamfighter

Senior Something
Reaction score
Still no one with additional info about non-experimental missile-carriage and -launches from the wing-stations?

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
awesome pic, kind of wish the F-22 would stay in that primer color

I've a question about primer

mxc3jwzp1mb31.jpg
6YNlrU_2ZN3mUjfMVvJFJ83fYUCcJ_kLVaiuqRwn7YzLS6IScHwCXjhpXDf2QOewIjH9jKrJE7o8L1tr3xE24vL9oz7N1GmmIF8cUMR5724zr2f4rBO74AFWaTrYyazKpT8laMhX5L9v_S04qNG8kp_QhW_Xzt4

why do these three have different color primers? any specific reason or is it just a choice? or is it because of the specific type of composite leads to different coloring?

sferrin

Reaction score
awesome pic, kind of wish the F-22 would stay in that primer color

I've a question about primer

mxc3jwzp1mb31.jpg
6YNlrU_2ZN3mUjfMVvJFJ83fYUCcJ_kLVaiuqRwn7YzLS6IScHwCXjhpXDf2QOewIjH9jKrJE7o8L1tr3xE24vL9oz7N1GmmIF8cUMR5724zr2f4rBO74AFWaTrYyazKpT8laMhX5L9v_S04qNG8kp_QhW_Xzt4

why do these three have different color primers? any specific reason or is it just a choice? or is it because of the specific type of composite leads to different coloring?

That brown isn't primer. The F-22 had the old Zombie green chromate, and the new mint whatever-it-is. The F-35 had the mint from the get go. Has absolutely zero to do with what it's painted on. Put it on titanium it's green. Put it on composite it's green.

Last edited:

drejr

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The brown on the F-22 is just an expoxy primer that led to corrosion problems. The mint green now used has barium and strontium chromate corrosion inhibitors added. This isn't secret stuff, you can get it from any aerospace paint provider.

sferrin

Reaction score
The brown on the F-22 is just an expoxy primer that led to corrosion problems. The mint green now used has barium and strontium chromate corrosion inhibitors added. This isn't secret stuff, you can get it from any aerospace paint provider.

Had seen F-22s with mint and brown but had thought the brown was UNPRIMED area. :confused: It's all mint now though.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18851

It looks like a plane that could take off and land on an aircraft carrier?
(0v0)
An emergency arrestor hook is carried on the F-16, F-15, and F-22 for emergency landings at air bases equipped with emergency use only arrestor cable setups. These aircraft are not intended to use this method for regular landings and are not structurally able to handle the violent deceleration of an arrested landing without significant problems.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Last edited: