Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon Developments

seruriermarshal

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
SINGAPORE, Feb. 15, 2012 – Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] unveiled a new version of the F-16 today at the Singapore Airshow. The F-16V will feature enhancements including an active electronically scanned array (AESA)radar, an upgraded mission computer and architecture, and improvements to the cockpit – all capabilities identified by the U.S. Air Force and several international customers for future improvements.

With nearly 4,500 F-16s delivered, this is a natural step in the evolution of the world’s most successful 4th generation fighter. The Fighting Falcon program has continually evolved as it began with the F-16 A/B as the lightweight fighter then transitioned to F-16 C/D and Block 60 versions as customers’ requirements changed.

AESA radars offer significant operational capability improvements. Lockheed Martin has developed an innovative solution to affordably retrofit this key technology into existing F-16s. The F-16V configuration is an option for new production jets and elements of the upgrade are available to most earlier-model F-16s. The “V” designation is derived from Viper, the name fighter pilots have called the F-16 from its beginnings.

“We believe this F-16V will satisfy our customers’ emerging requirements and prepare them to better interoperate with the 5th generation fighters, the F-35 and F-22,” said George Standridge, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics’ vice president of business development.
The F-16 is the choice of 26 nations. The F-16 program has been characterized by unprecedented international cooperation among governments, air forces and aerospace industries.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security company that employs about 123,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services. The Corporation's net sales for 2011 were $46.5 billion.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2012/february/0215aero-F-16V.html#.TzvN1wfO4Ro.facebook

Re: Lockheed Martin’s Fighting Falcon Evolves With New F-16V

Can you say, "Block 60 without the CFTs"?

You missed the fact that they removed the IRST from the nose too.

Meh.

This deserves a rageface. No new aerodynamics either?

Attachments

• lockmartyuno.png
    lockmartyuno.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 976

Yep - not much new going on here from an airframe perspective.

I'd like to see the cranked delta from the F-16XL combined with a DSI inlet with UAE block 60 avionics.

Me to made from zylon fiber.

F-35 unaffordable? No problem, here’s your Plan B: the (unstealthy) F-16V February 16, 2012
Posted by Richard Clements in F-35, Military Aviation.

URL:
http://theaviationist.com/tag/f-16v/

Lockheed Martin took the opportunity to wow the crowds at the Singapore Air Show and unwrapped its latest version of the legendary F-16 Fighting Falcon: the F-16V variant. The upgrades include a new glass cockpit, a new mission computer and data-link architecture, as well as a brand new active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar.

The latest in a long line of versions including the Block 60 aircraft (developed for the United Arab Emirates), the new F-16V would be the highest spec F-16 available and, although Lockheed Martin has not disclosed it yet, it would be assumed that some of the features from the previous most advanced versions would still be available (conformal fuel tanks etc.)

Lockheed Martin also said that elements of the upgrade would be available to older models as an upgrade program so the new AESA radar could make its way into older aircraft and sales of the ‘V’ version would be aimed at existing operators.

So, countries that cannot stretch to the costs of buying and running the F-35 have a cheaper alternative especially if they already operate older versions of the F-16.

Details about the new cockpit layout, the embedded software and the specifications of the radar have not yet been unveiled. However the F-16V will be fully interoperable and able to exchange data with the F-22 and the F-35. But it will not be stealth.

Lockheed Martin’s Press Release doesn’t mention customers but could be pitched at the USAF (thus the need to exchange data with the F-22) as an unstealthy gap filler until large numbers of F-35s start entering service.

This could also be an admission that the initial estimates of F-35 sales are going to be nowhere near what they were projected; in this case, we could consider the F-16V a “Budget”version of the F-35.

Richard Clements for TheAviationist.com

Triton said:
This could also be an admission that the initial estimates of F-35 sales are going to be nowhere near what they were projected; in this case, we could consider the F-16V a “Budget”version of the F-35.

Richard Clements for TheAviationist.com

Sounds more like a "Budget" version of a Block 60.

sferrin said:
Sounds more like a "Budget" version of a Block 60.

Especially since it won't have any naval capability.

How powerful is the first generation of the flight-computer of a F-16?
I know it was developed somewhere in the late '70's.
How does it compare to a current-day computer? I know it is extremely hard to compare because flight-computers are real-time computers and desktop-pc's are not. I think that even a average smartphone ( 1Ghz processor) can out-perform the flightcomputer of a F-16. Am I wrong? Does anyone have an idea?

Cheers,

Rob

BAROBA said:
How powerful is the first generation of the flight-computer of a F-16?
I know it was developed somewhere in the late '70's.
How does it compare to a current-day computer? I know it is extremely hard to compare because flight-computers are real-time computers and desktop-pc's are not. I think that even a average smartphone ( 1Ghz processor) can out-perform the flightcomputer of a F-16. Am I wrong? Does anyone have an idea?

Cheers,

Rob

Not an F-16 but I recall reading back in the day that the F-15E had the equivalent of a 386.

The best of what's available is not always the best for the job at hand. I'll share this example.

When they built a new Master Control room for the cable company where I worked, they invested in a top-of-the-line routing switcher and because they had a lot of money to spend, they selected the best desk-top computer to run it. Early testing seemed to work fine but once they got all the tape decks and CG units then tied in along with the feeds from the satellite receivers, the switcher crashed every time they tried it. It turned out that the computer was too fast for the switcher. After consulting with the manufacturer, they had to do a company wide search for the slowest computer available. When they found it (I'm not sure if it was a 386 but I'm sure it was something pre-Pentium.), it was literally being used as a door-stop at a Charter facility in another state. The switcher worked perfectly with that old computer.

So. As I see it, your question cannot be fully answered without first accounting for all the equipment the computers would be used with and the tasks expected of them.

dannydale said:
This deserves a rageface. No new aerodynamics either?

I concur. The absence of DSI-type intakes is a disappointment.

"We'e sorry, but DSI technology is only available on our iPlane, sorry, F-35 range..... " ;D ;)

Seriously, ISTR that the driver for DSI technology was to increase stealth by getting rid of the intake splitter plate, and since the viper is not intrinsically a stealth platform...

cheers,
Robin.

F-16V Takes Flight

FORT WORTH, Texas, Oct. 21, 2015 – Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) successfully completed the maiden flight of the F-16V, the latest and most advanced F-16 on the market today. The October 16 flight marks the first time an F-16 has flown with Northrop Grumman’s advanced APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) Scalable Agile Beam Radar (SABR), which will deliver a quantum leap in capability for the venerable F-16.

The F-16V “Viper” advanced avionics configuration also includes a new cockpit Center Pedestal Display, a modernized mission computer, a high-capacity Ethernet data bus, and several other missions systems enhancements that collectively add significant combat capabilities to address the dynamic threat environments emerging in the coming decades.

“This flight marks a historic milestone in the evolution of the F-16,” said Rod McLean, vice president and general manager of Lockheed Martin’s F-16/F-22 Integrated Fighter Group. “The new F-16V configuration includes numerous enhancements designed to keep the F-16 at the forefront of international security, strengthening its position as the world’s foremost combat-proven 4th Generation fighter aircraft.”

The F-16V, an option for both new production F-16s and F-16 upgrades, is the next generation configuration that leverages a common worldwide sustainment infrastructure and provides significant capability improvements to the world’s most affordable, combat-proven multi-role fighter.

Northrop Grumman’s APG-83 SABR AESA fire control radar provides 5th Generation air-to-air and air-to-ground radar capability. Northrop Grumman also provides AESA radars for the F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II.

With more than 4,550 F-16s delivered to date, the F-16V is a natural step in the evolution of the world’s most successful 4th Generation fighter.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2015/october/f-16v-takes-flight.html

From Elbit:

"The CPD replaces old electro-mechanical instruments, improving the presentation of data and reducing pilot workload, according to Elbit. It also provides a high-resolution display for sensor imagery and for tactical situational awareness, and provides emergency backup to flight instruments if the air data computer should fail. Elbit embedded the air data module into the CPD, allowing it to connect with the existing infrastructure of the F-16...For the F-16 upgrade Elbit is also delivering an updated common data entry electronic unit CDEEU, having previously delivered more than 2,000 of these to Lockheed Martin and the US Air Force since 2000."

Attachments

• webelbit-f-16V-upgrades.jpg
    webelbit-f-16V-upgrades.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 945
Does this warrant an entirely new model designation letter?
Same OML, same engine, only changes at the subsystem level.

Marketing BS...

To be fair, the F-16 was stuck on the C/D with a confusing quantity of "Block" designations. Meanwhile, it's not uncommon to give separate letter designations to specific customers in other plane types.
The Mirage II was an extreme example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_III#Variants

I'm more irritated by the recycling of the F-16E and F version designations after those were originally meant to be for the double deltas.

lastdingo said:
A "quantum leap" is actually a tiny, tiny, tiny affair...stupid marketing language.

They tell very, very little about the actual gain in capability.

.....putting right what once went wrong perhaps.... :)

AeroFranz said:

Marketing BS...

Is it even a government designation? Should be a "G" I think if that's the case. (The Block 60s are E/F.)

lastdingo said:
A "quantum leap" is actually a tiny, tiny, tiny affair...stupid marketing language.

They tell very, very little about the actual gain in capability.

In accepted language, its an abrupt, extreme change.

sferrin said:
AeroFranz said:

Marketing BS...

Is it even a government designation? Should be a "G" I think if that's the case. (The Block 60s are E/F.)

I totally agree with you sferrin over the F-16V designation, the full title should read F-16G Block 70, notice what I have just done there. ;)

FighterJock said:
sferrin said:
AeroFranz said:

Marketing BS...

I totally agree with you sferrin over the F-16V designation, the full title should read F-16G Block 70, notice what I have just done there. ;)

The Block 70 was a different configuration on offer to India. Then there's the Block 61. The "V" designation is more amorphous and unblock like since, IIRC a customer an do a la carte upgrades from the "V" grab bag of avionics.

There are only two radar systems that the F-16V is designed to currently support, Northrop Grumman's SABR and Raytheon's RACR.

Attachments

• APG-83 SABR.jpg
    APG-83 SABR.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 784
  • racr.jpg
    racr.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 758
Dynoman said:
There are only two radar systems that the F-16V is designed to currently support, Northrop Grumman's SABR and Raytheon's RACR.

"Only"? How many other fighters give you a choice of AESAs?

sferrin said:
Dynoman said:

"Only"? How many other fighters give you a choice of AESAs?

Given how scalable SABR appears to be, I would think that NG will contest/protest AESA upgrades for the entire teen series.

Attachments

• sabr-gs.jpeg
    sabr-gs.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 732
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The F-16 aftermarket is much bigger than any other, and the Korea experience showed how difficult it is to break in.

As I understand it the V suffice simply stands for the name Viper which USAF pilots prefer their '16s to be called. The official name Fighting Falcon never really turned '16 drivers on. -SP

Steve Pace said:
As I understand it the V suffice simply stands for the name Viper which USAF pilots prefer their '16s to be called. The official name Fighting Falcon never really turned '16 drivers on. -SP

So why did the USAF not call the F-16 the Viper instead of the Fighting Falcon? A highly strange situation if you ask me.

The generals in charge didn't want their plane named after a snake. The fact that "Viper" was the name of the space fighter in Battlestar Galactaca at the time probably didn't help -- they didn't want to look like they were just copying the TV show.

The USAF officially named the F-16 Fighting Falcon, its USAF pilots nicknamed it "Viper". -SP

TomS said:
The generals in charge didn't want their plane named after a snake. The fact that "Viper" was the name of the space fighter in Battlestar Galactaca at the time probably didn't help -- they didn't want to look like they were just copying the TV show.

A doubt "Viper" even entered the conversation. And "Falcon" was already taken by Dassault. (Apparently the fact that "Falcon" was already taken by the AIM-4 family didn't stop them though.)

LowObservable said:
Wouldn't be too sure about that. The F-16 aftermarket is much bigger than any other, and the Korea experience showed how difficult it is to break in.

Willful misrepresentation (and that's a kind way of putting it) makes it difficult to break into just about any market.

sferrin said:
A doubt "Viper" even entered the conversation. And "Falcon" was already taken by Dassault. (Apparently the fact that "Falcon" was already taken by the AIM-4 family didn't stop them though.)

It was proposed by the F-16 pilots and crew at Hill AFB before an official name was assigned (I rthink I might have been at the first open house after the name was assigned -- I certianly remember being at Hill to see the F-16 as a kid).

There's a history of the name on the F-16.net website that I should have linked this with my last post:

TomS said:
(I rthink I might have been at the first open house after the name was assigned -- I certianly remember being at Hill to see the F-16 as a kid).

Are you talking about the first time they invited the public out to see the new plane? I was there too. :) Still have not seen an F-16 jump off the runway like that one did. I swear it almost looked like it was taxiing and then it just headed almost straight off the runway. :eek: (Then again all I'd seen before was F-4s and F-105s.)

Probably -- my memory is vague. At the time, all I'd seen was X-Wings and TIE fighters (and Vipers).