• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Little-known Canadian helicopters

Apophenia

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
No details other than that Duben Helicopter had been working on rotary-wing designs in British Columbia since the mid 1930s but these "proved unable to sustain hover or flight". (Bill Zuk, CAHS Journal)

Another CAHS Journal contributor, Bob Petite, intends (with Ken Swartz) to document the Duben and other early helicopter designs in the website that your photo appeared in, Preserving Canada's Helicopter History. http://www.telusplanet.net/public/bpetite/home.htm

There were two Canadian helicopter designs before Duben's. First was the 1935 Helioplane by John Hess Helioplane Company Ltd. of New westminster, BC (based on 1928 patents). See CAHS Journal article by Robert S. Petite: http://www.helicopterheritagecanada.com/hess1.pdf

The second was the Froebe co-axial helicopter, a homebuilt from Homewood, Manitoba. The Froebe brothers' 1938 Gipsy-powered machine is better know since it survives at WCAM. The Hess Helioplane prototype was scrapped in Vancouver sometime in the early 1950s. Not sure what the fate of the 1945 Duben helicopter was.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Thank you my dear Apophenia very much,

and I can't prevent my self from displaying those two drawings to Hess
Helioplane in your PDF site.

Attachments

• Helioplane 1.JPG
    Helioplane 1.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Helioplane 2.JPG
    Helioplane 2.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 188

walter

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The B-36 experimental helicopter was project by several Polish engineers in Canada. Possibly work already started in Poland. A company named Jet Helicopters Corporation (Jet Helicopters Limited?) was founded in Montreal circa 1947. The heli used the cold-jet-principle with a piston engine driving a compressor which ejected from nozzles at the rotor tips.
Design team included Messrs. Witold Brzowski, Wieslaw Stepniwsli, Tadeusz Tarcynski
I have a bad quality picture, which shows the B-36 under (tethered) tests around 1948-1950?.
Anyone with technical details (what engine etc.) of the B-36?

Apophenia

Reaction score
Walter, no details but a few corrections that may help with searching.

'Witold Brzowski' should be Witold Brzozowski and 'Tadeusz Tarcynski' should be Tadeusz Tarczynski. The late Prof Wieslaw Z. Stepniewski was, of course, quite well known (and had come to Jet Helicopters from De Havilland Canada where he had been Head of Aerodynamics and Stress under Jakimiuk).

Witold Brzozowski had been involved with the development of the North Star at Canadair (dating back to its days as Canadian Vickers but quit in 1946 (not 1947) to start Jet Helicopters Corporation. The company was formed in Quebec but moved to the US to build a prototype. With no financial backing, the firm folded in 1947.

AFAIK, after the failure of Jet Helicopters, Witold Brzozowski returned to Quebec (his address on his 1952 US patent is given as Westmount, Montreal). Like a lot of Polish engineers in exile, Stepniwsli and Tarczynski, ended up at Piasecki Helicopter. Both stayed on in Philedelphia until Piasecki became Vertol (Stepniewski later taught at Princeton).

BTW, Tarczynski and Stepniewski first worked together in Poland on the TS-1/34 Promyk sailplane. Tarczynski worked on the PZL Wilk and Lampart projects before leaving Poland. He became a test pilot at DHC during WWII.

hesham

Reaction score
Great Info my dear Apophenia,

and for Walter,we spoke about that helicopter before,it was mentioned
in NASA report,but now I can't define where.

Petrus

Reaction score
walter said:
I have a bad quality picture, which shows the B-36 under (tethered) tests around 1948-1950?.

Hmm... a picture even of a bad quality is better than no picture, don't you think? It would be interesting to see it.

Piotr

Stargazer2006

Reaction score
HELICOPTER WITH JET-OPERATED ROTOR
Witold Brzozowski, Westmount, Montreal, Canada
assignor to Stefan Czarnecki, Walden, N. Y.

Attachments

• US2560682A.pdf
    360.4 KB · Views: 12
  • US2601258A.pdf
    443.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Brzozowski.gif
    Brzozowski.gif
    94.6 KB · Views: 334

Stargazer2006

Reaction score
Exaggerated claims? ::)

One of the pioneers of modern-day wind power was a Quebec man, Witold Brzozowski, who died during the 1990s in his native Poland. In 1930, the young aeronautical engineer owned his own aircraft factory in Krakow. When he foresaw in 1940 that the Germans were going to force him to work for them, he fled for Canada, leaving everything behind him. With nearly 40 patents for his inventions, the former university rector in Turkey revealed to me that he had fathered both the helicopter and the hovercraft. When I consider how many times history was revised and corrected, I cannot doubt his claims. (...) With little flair for business, my uncle Brzozowski revealed that he was conned and robbed by his financial partners. (...) In terms of research and development, Witek never obtained the collaboration of our governments. "These people in power do not understand a thing," he used to say.

Source: http://tmp.latribuduverbe.com/archives/2006/07/un_vent_de_folie.html

Stargazer2006

Reaction score
Before the outbreak of World War II, engineer Witold Brzozowski worked at the Institute of Aviation Technology in Warsaw. During the war he was in Canada. In 1942, he found himself in the composition of the Canadian Technical Team, whose goal was to develop a future passenger aircraft. This work was conducted as part of Canadian Vickers in Montreal. Established in 1944, the company acquired all of Canadian Vickers to form Canadair Ltd. During that period the company produced the amphibious Consolidated PBY-5 "Canso"patrol plane, as well as the Canadair 'North Star' passenger aircraft, a licensed Douglas DC-4.

Witold Brzozowski Canadair subsequently left the company in 1946 and founded his own company Jet Helicopter Corp. Their helicopter was the B-36 jet-powered rotor. After moving to the U.S., the company made ​​a prototype. Despite promising preliminary tests, it found no firm financial support and was liquidated in 1947.

Source: http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/582/126/Brzozowski-Witold2

walter

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Thanks to all :) :) for all the information !!. Amazing stuff.
Attached is the picture I have (Word format, but saw this worked in the past).

Attachments

• JET HELICOPTERS B-36.doc
    150 KB · Views: 28

Richard N

Lost in the Sky
Reaction score
A screen snip of walter's B-36 helicopter photo.

Attachments

• B-36 Helicopter from Canada.JPG
    B-36 Helicopter from Canada.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 260

Apophenia

Reaction score
Stargazer2006 said:

Yes, I suspect Québécois jingoism. As far as Brzozowski being "le père de l'hélicoptère", in Canadian helicopter development, John Hess Sr., Nick Duben, and the Froebe brothers all got at least as far (or further) and almost a decade earlier. Still, Brzozowski's attempt was an interesting alternative approach to helicopter drives.

I'd be interested to hear more about this Quebec author's hovercraft claim. An online search for "Witold Brzozowski" + "aéroglisseur" or "hovercraft" produces no return but the url that you've given.

MJBourgeois

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score

One of the pioneers of modern-day wind power was a Quebec man, Witold Brzozowski, who died during the 1990s in his native Poland. In 1930, the young aeronautical engineer owned his own aircraft factory in Krakow. When he foresaw in 1940 that the Germans were going to force him to work for them, he fled for Canada, leaving everything behind him. With nearly 40 patents for his inventions, the former university rector in Turkey revealed to me that he had fathered both the helicopter and the hovercraft. When I consider how many times history was revised and corrected, I cannot doubt his claims. (...) With little flair for business, my uncle Brzozowski revealed that he was conned and robbed by his financial partners. (...) In terms of research and development, Witek never obtained the collaboration of our governments. "These people in power do not understand a thing," he used to say.

Source: http://tmp.latribuduverbe.com/archives/2006/07/un_vent_de_folie.html
Hi Stargazer 2006,
I am a local historian writing about people who have lived in my région. Witold and wife Antonine Des Rochers lived in Montebello from 1951-1960, on a large piece of land purchased from Leo Chenier. This is possibly a historical site. Plz help on finding more info. Witold’s mother lived with them for a while and was called Mamushka. Any children? Did he take Michel Gaucher with him to Turkey? He was rector of which university In Turkey? How is he related to you? À brother-in-law, Dr Des Rochers was a doctor in Montreal, are you related to him or Michel Bédard? Remember the house now gone? Simple historian curiosity.. The land was sold in 1960 to Harry Smith. The family was well liked by all neighbours who have fond memories of the couple.

Attachments

• 08A8ACFC-E870-44F5-9D15-2D827D526F1E.jpeg
    08A8ACFC-E870-44F5-9D15-2D827D526F1E.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 10