Little-known American Helicopter Prototypes & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From USA :

Enstrom F-27 :three seat light civil helicopter.

Umbaugh U-17 :tandem two seat gyrocopter with a slim low-set tailboom
and a single fin and tiny T-tailplane.
Rotorway Schramm Javelin :single seat amateur-built helicopter,it had
a tubular steel structure with a formed aluminium body
shell and was powered by a 100 hp Mercury powerboat
engine.

There was also plenties of ramjet powered helicopters in the 50's, best known beeing the XH-20 Little Henry. Good article in le Fana around 2000... I have to post some pics and perfs...

Thanks dears,

from USA:

Landgraf H-3 :was three seat version of H-2.
Landgraf H-4 :was 5/8 passenger helicopter based on H-2.
there are also Bell model-680 and Fairchild-Hiller model-473 helicopters
but no details.

Also from USA,

Learjet Twinjet:was a medium helicopter as the size of Sikorsky S-76.
Gluhareff helicopters:
he was researched in pressure-jet powered light helicopters,he built the
MEG-1 was personal strap-on helicopter rig which used a single rotor
tip-mounted G8-2 engine and followed this with the MEG-2 which had
a two-blade rotor ,the MEG-3 was based on a dish-shaped platform on
which the pilot would stand and two-blade rotor revolving underneath
the platform.

Hallo,

USA Rotormaster Boomerang :two seat light autogyro of 1964.
SA Rotorcraft Minicopter :single seat ultr-light autogiro of 1962.
USA Chodan Hel :was an unconventional single seat experimental
helicopter of 1966, with a shrouded rigid rotor.

Hallo,

USA Russell theBR-1 and BR-2 were a single seat ultra-light autogyros, designed in
early 1960s,the BR-3-D was built as a flying test-bed for components of the
BR-4 agricultural version.
SWISS Stierlin type 1,2 and 3 :were a single seat ultra-light helicopters of 1960s.

The Vertol/ NASA design never left the wind tunnel and was, I think, a pure research project. The six propellers were driven by a 1000hp electric motor. The double-slotted flaps covered about 60% of the chord. The entire wingspan was subject to the propeller wash for lift.

Source: 'Straight Up: A History of Vertical Flight' by Steve Markham and Bill Holder, Schiffer Military History, 2000

My dears,

do you know McDonnell MD-660 helicopter? please
give me an informations about it,thanks.

Oh my dears,

no one knows McDonnell MD-660 or Bell Model-460 helicopters !!.

Hi,

The Higgins was a small USA company,founded to design a helicopters,
the EB-1 was two seat light helicopter powered by one 180 hp pressure-
cooled Warner engine,the company designed also an experimental four
seat twin engined helicopter,I have no further Info about it,except it
was designed for military use.

CammNut said:
Since then it has shifted its attention to more modest designs - the two- and four-seat "personal air vehicles" seen below.
CarterCopter's initial focus was of course a relatively small (3,600 lb) vehicle, and the company's refocus on its PAV designs after its brief excursion into heavylift vehicles is reminiscent of Groen's own transition to the production of kit autogiros when the money ran out.

CammNut said:
DARPA, meanwhile, has a programme called Heliplane under which Groen Brothers is developing a high-speed gyroplane demonstrator...
Personally, I think the GBA design being studied in parallel with the five Army-funded JHL CDA designs will be quietly dropped - the DoD clearly has no interest in the design, which has extremely poor deck spotting for seabase opps.

CammNut said:
Note the "double" inlets, each feeding two engines
The X2HSL is a three-engine design.

CammNut said:
The X2 Crane...differs from Sikorsky's other X2 designs in being a conventional coaxial-rotor helicopter
The X2C shares the same ABC-derived rotor as the remainder of the X2 family, but lacks the HSL's aux propulsion. It is, though, as you state a very compact design, and only requires two 10,000shp class powerplants.

CammNut said:
The X2 Vertical Unmanned Aerial System is Sikorsky's contender for the US Marine Corps' VUAS requirement for a VTOL UAV. Bell plans to offer the Eagle Eye tilt-rotor UAV for this competition
This requirement actually stems from the Corps' decision to scrap its commitment to the Eagle Eye. The Corps is currently studying three VUAS concepts - stopped-wing, fan-in-wing and tilt-rotor - with the X2VUAS at this point deemed too slow to keep up with the MV-22.

turboshaft said:
The Corps is currently studying three VUAS concepts - stopped-wing, fan-in-wing and tilt-rotor - with the X2VUAS at this point deemed too slow to keep up with the MV-22.

That may explain the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works' fan-in-wing VARIOUS.

turboshaft said:
The X2C shares the same ABC-derived rotor as the remainder of the X2 family, but lacks the HSL's aux propulsion.

Can you explain the differences? Not close-coupled, three blades, servo flaps - doesn't look like an ABC rotor system.

The world's first AEW helicopter? They just couldn't get it to fly...

No Camm, actually it is a bit of kit from a little town in New Mexico. They stopped work after two attempts because it took half the power of the eastern US to run it and it turned the test pilots into hamsters. :D

It really is an interesting picture though.

Hi,

The USA Laskowitz projected convertibles were L15CV two seat