Little-known American Helicopter Prototypes & Projects

From Popular Mechanics 1966/5,Mr. Pop Wilson and his autogyro bike.

Attachments

• 60.png
    60.png
    663.2 KB · Views: 26
On the back cover of this issue was an ad for Firestone Helicopters that has artwork for the GA-50.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

From these report and site,Firestone XR-14 mock-up.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 15.png
    15.png
    348.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 16.png
    16.png
    860.6 KB · Views: 24
From these report and site,Firestone XR-14 mock-up.

Dear Hesham, I hope you don't mind if I leave here a bigger resolution pictures?

Attachments

• 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • ms364_129_23_002.jpg
    ms364_129_23_002.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi,

Mr. Horace T. Pentecost founded Hoppi-Copter Inc company,he designed the HX-1 or
Model-100,a one man copter with two contra-rotating rotors,followed by Model-101 &
Model-102,evolved into the 1950 experimental Firefly with an 18' rotor powered by
tip ramjets.

He also designed a very cheap single seat Helicopter,also there was a Model-103 and
Model-104.

Hi,

Hoppi-copter (1945) - The first helicopter designed by Horace T. Pentecost of Seattle was a "back-strap" model intended for military use. Later the American Hoppi-Copters Inc. built other models which had two coaxial rotors and a small engine of variable power depending on the version.

Hoppicopter “Firefly” (1950) - Single place model equipped with a two blades tip powered rotor. It seems that this model did some hovering flights in 1950.

May be of interest:

I came across also model 103 - I identify it with having an engine moved below main frame (clearly visible). Model 104 (if I recall correctly) was to be made in England in some cooperation, but I was never able to find any picture which will clearly indicate it as a separate thing)

Attachments

• 1948-00-00-Jeff Evans-GB-f6800.jpg
    1948-00-00-Jeff Evans-GB-f6800.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
I came across also model 103 - I identify it with having an engine moved below main frame (clearly visible). Model 104 (if I recall correctly) was to be made in England in some cooperation, but I was never able to find any picture which will clearly indicate it as a separate thing)
Thanks a lot for this!

It's amazing what a random search after years can yield:
A pulse-jet Hoppi-copter made by the Capital Helicopters Corp.

In the post here:
you can find picture of this machine (probably named C1 Firefly, picture also attached)

I tried to fix the perspective of the pictures from ebay and came out with that:
1_crop_fixed.jpg
The seller of this item is not very open about where it came from, but after some time I was able to trace down this article. It comes from magazine called Air Trails Hobbies For Young Men, issue from July 1954 (vol 42, No. 4). The article describing "Hoppi-Copter" (this is how it is called there) is on page 16.
air-trails-july-1954-cover.jpg
Finally, my summary so far:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 13
  • s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Nemeth_Antitorque_.JPG
    Nemeth_Antitorque_.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
May be of interest:

This is not straight forward. I Just came on the couple of articles in Aviation Week archives and one said that Model 102 "will" be the production version of currently-being-tested tripod version of Hoppicopter. Like year later an article depicts model 103 (which in my mind was model 102 - with just a battery hanging below pilot) and on the right on the bottom picture is shown flying model 104 - but this is hard to identify - I seems not to have an engine below the pilot like in the version I used to call 103

Attachments

• Aviation_Week_1948-03-08_0013.jpg
    Aviation_Week_1948-03-08_0013.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 9
I gather the only major difference about Model 104 was the more spaced-out rotors.
This may also be true, but I still have some other doubts on models 102 -103 - 104.

I am diving a bit deeper right now, and shortly I will post my recent findings and doubts. This thread however is getting occupied by Hoppi-copters too much so I will create a new one dedicated to Mr Pentecost helicopter endeavours