I've always been bothered about the ease of aiming an NPB though, a phased array laser you could steer electronically.

This is an interesting article that has good information on the Particle Beam weapon.

Apparently they did put up a test article that work successfully on a sounding rocket.
I think Bill Eoff's Magnum was also called "BMDO Launcher"

That was likely the ride for the full size version.

I've always been bothered about the ease of aiming an NPB though, a phased array laser you could steer electronically.
Coarse aiming is definitely by pointing the entire satellite, fine aiming is by magnetic fields at the muzzle before the particle beam gets neutralized.

And of course one of the ideas with the Particle beam was that it will not destroy it per say but utter ruin the electronics and likely the uranium/plotuimiun/whatever bits of the nukes.

Which was able to be done very fast, like in a same amount of time a radar beam will hit it while sweeping back and fore fast.

Allow the system to just swept left and right basically repeatly.

How well that will actually work is....

Questionable, especailly since they didnt do it.

But in theory you'll only need a handful to cover the Horizion and hit the RV as they pop over. Likely will F up any satellites in the way but small price to pay compare to being nuked.

And of course one of the ideas with the Particle beam was that it will not destroy it per say but utter ruin the electronics and likely the uranium/plotuimiun/whatever bits of the nukes.

Which was able to be done very fast, like in a same amount of time a radar beam will hit it while sweeping back and fore fast.

Allow the system to just swept left and right basically repeatly.

How well that will actually work is....

Questionable, especailly since they didnt do it.

But in theory you'll only need a handful to cover the Horizion and hit the RV as they pop over. Likely will F up any satellites in the way but small price to pay compare to being nuked.
All it has to do is toast the fusing electronics, or fry one detonator in the implosion lens. No damage required to the fissionables.

Remember the George Cloony movie "Peacemaker"? Where they pried one panel off a nuke to prevent it from going major boom? That really works. Though they'd still be dead due to all the fissionable dust and being next to a good 50+lbs of boom.

All it has to do is toast the fusing electronics, or fry one detonator in the implosion lens. No damage required to the fissionables.
No as in there was an legit trick with nukes that could remotely defuse them that the Nuke A2A systems used.

Which was to use a radiation pulse to mess up how the Fissionables work so that they stop being fissonable apperantly.

In atmosphere you need a nuke to do so but in space you can likely do the same trick with a Particle Beam.

Still will run into the dirty bomb but 100 pounds of Hi-ix even with Fissionable Dust is not that bad. Actually since nukes Fission Materials are not radioactive it will not even be a dirty bomb, it be more of a heavy metal duster. Still bad but far more likely to be survivable.

No as in there was an legit trick with nukes that could remotely defuse them that the Nuke A2A systems used.

Which was to use a radiation pulse to mess up how the Fissionables work so that they stop being fissonable apperantly.

In atmosphere you need a nuke to do so but in space you can likely do the same trick with a Particle Beam.

Still will run into the dirty bomb but 100 pounds of Hi-ix even with Fissionable Dust is not that bad. Actually since nukes Fission Materials are not radioactive it will not even be a dirty bomb, it be more of a heavy metal duster. Still bad but far more likely to be survivable.
Yes, if you get enough of a neutron flux going you can burn up the fissionables, leaving the warhead without a critical mass to go kaboom. But even after that neutron flux, the materials will still be some flavor of radioactive!

And whether by disabling the implosion lens or neutron flux, you end up with fairly heavy objects dropping fast and then blasting radioactive heavy metal dust all over the place once they land. Better than a nuclear boom, but not pleasant.

Could firehosing be a good thing?
HAARP able to push a distant beam upward and modify it? Can’t do that with lasers.

—or would it just follow a lobe?

Coarse aiming is definitely by pointing the entire satellite, fine aiming is by magnetic fields at the muzzle before the particle beam gets neutralized.
I'd have thought achieving the required accuracy over range with magnetic beam steering would be fairly difficult. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, if you get enough of a neutron flux going you can burn up the fissionables, leaving the warhead without a critical mass to go kaboom. But even after that neutron flux, the materials will still be some flavor of radioactive!

And whether by disabling the implosion lens or neutron flux, you end up with fairly heavy objects dropping fast and then blasting radioactive heavy metal dust all over the place once they land. Better than a nuclear boom, but not pleasant.
A neutron beam can poison nuclear warheads. A macron beam can actually set off nuclear warheads. Both can cause sizeable physically damage too. Search 'Fission Enhancement' and 'Impact Fusion' on this page:

Last edited:
PARCE QUE C'EST NOTRE PROJEEEEEEET !!!!

Back so SDI... he isn't worth a thread hijacking.

Some more:

Shiva Star - fired compact toroids, which are small donuts of plasma

Casaba-Howitzer rehash - LANL dusted off the Orion pusher shaped charges concept to form high velocity (100s km/sec) jets. I believe this is what a previous poster was referring to as the nuclear lightbulb - right concept, wrong name.

Some more:

Casaba-Howitzer rehash - LANL dusted off the Orion pusher shaped charges concept to form high velocity (100s km/sec) jets. I believe this is what a previous poster was referring to as the nuclear lightbulb - right concept, wrong name.
nuclear lightbulb is a gas core nuclear thermal rocket that traps the reactor core in a quartz bottle.

Some more:

I think the weapon itself was called MARAUDER (Magnetically Accelerated Ring to Achieve Ultra-high Directed Energy and Radiation).

So a ball lightning weapon remains tantalizingly out of reach –- or does it? As I noted in a previous article on military ball lightning, the USAF’s Phillips Laboratory examined a very similar concept in 1993. Again, this involved accelerating a donut-shaped mass of plasma to high speed as an anti-missile weapon in a project called Magnetically Accelerated Ring to Achieve Ultra-high Directed Energy and Radiation, or MARAUDER.

Based on the Air Force’s awesome Shiva Star power system, experiments spat out plasmoids at ultra-high speed that were expected to reach 3,000 kilometers a second by 1995. But nothing was published after 1993, and MARAUDER was classified, disappearing into the black world of secret programs.

Attachments

• 20230801_203820.jpg
    20230801_203820.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3.jpg
    1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (2).jpg
    1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (2).jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (3).jpg
    1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (3).jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (4).jpg
    1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (4).jpg
    322 KB · Views: 45
  • 1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (1).jpg
    1_89504e63ff09314743b9e5fbeab8e3b3 (1).jpg
    290 KB · Views: 40
I think the weapon itself was called MARAUDER (Magnetically Accelerated Ring to Achieve Ultra-high Directed Energy and Radiation).
This is indeed it, I had forgotten the name.

But I can tell you what happened to it after 1993 - it was canned because it didn't work. As was found in the fusion world that hatched them, compact toruses don't last as long as they were expected to, and in the case of a weapon they would be cold gas by the time they reached the ICBM.

Shiva Star has been used for all sorts of things since, including a number of fusion experiments using the same injector.

Heritage Chair (charged particle beam) was not an SDI program (far earlier, started about 1974) nor strategic in function - it would have been a defense against antiship cruise missiles, particularly sea skimmers.

I'd have thought achieving the required accuracy over range with magnetic beam steering would be fairly difficult. Maybe I'm wrong.

A neutron beam can poison nuclear warheads. A macron beam can actually set off nuclear warheads. Both can cause sizeable physically damage too. Search 'Fission Enhancement' and 'Impact Fusion' on this page:

Just read a paper related to this & to reach the ~1000 km/s required for the teeny projectiles the author posits an accelerator 75 km long...

Last edited:
Just read a paper related to this & to reach the ~1000 km/s required for the teeny projectiles the author posits an accelerator 75 km long...

Wouldn't that depend to some extent on the power of the accelerator?

Imagine so since Ive seen paperwork that puts that you only need a ring accelerator of 100 meter diameter with 10 tesla field strength to punt macrons to fusion velocity.

Maybe a Scifi blog but these guys do show their work and all the maths behind this in a easy to read set up.

Also got a link to SDI era research on this at tgd bottom to circle back on topic.

I’ve read about particle accelerators being shrunken down…might that help with macrons (actual particles ;) )

Imagine so since Ive seen paperwork that puts that you only need a ring accelerator of 100 meter diameter with 10 tesla field strength to punt macrons to fusion velocity.

Maybe a Scifi blog but these guys do show their work and all the maths behind this in a easy to read set up.

Also got a link to SDI era research on this at tgd bottom to circle back on topic.
Tough Guide to SF is an excellent blog, the author's ideas are generally quoted with approval on Atomic Rockets.