Lippisch "Dreieck I" or ""Delta I" Tailless Airplane: a 1931 flying-wing

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Found in a March 1932 NACA report this early 1930s flying wing prototype which I didn't know about... which only shows my great ignorance of German aircraft!

On the instigation of Dr. Hermann Köhl, the successful German ocean flyer, Mr. Lippisch, the chief engineer of the Rhon-Rossiten Association, and his staff have developed a tailless airplane, which has so far shown excellent flying qualities. It was recently demonstrated at Berlin-Tempelhof airport before a party of prominent people interested in aviation and representatives of the press. Dr. Hermann Köhl, as he said in a speech, sees in the development of this type of airplane the present most promising step towards achieving more economical airplanes, capable of profitable long-distance transport work across oceans and continents. He is personally interested in the early perfection of such airplanes, with which, as we know from other sources, he plans inaugurating a regular transport service between Europe and America. (...)

In the hands of the pilot Groenhoff, the airplane showed a surprising degree of maneuverability. Groenhoff said the airplane steers very lightly, and he can do anything with it which he can do with any good normal airplane, including looping. The latter were, however, not shown at the demonstration. The airplane flow very close circles and zoomed up in a manner that would appear to indicate its having plenty of reserve power. It seemed practically nonstallable.

Source: THE DREIECK I TAILLESS AIRPLANE (GERMAN) — A Low-Wing Cantilever Monoplane

Attachments

• Dreieck three-quarter view.jpg
    Dreieck three-quarter view.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Port rudder swung outward.jpg
    Port rudder swung outward.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 303
  • Swiveling steering wheel.jpg
    Swiveling steering wheel.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 251
  • Dreieck three-view.gif
    Dreieck three-view.gif
    52.5 KB · Views: 226
Hi Star,

this is the Lippisch "Delta I" (Motor-Delta) from 1931.

Attachments

• Lippisch Delta I (Motor).jpg
    Lippisch Delta I (Motor).jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Lippisch Delta I (Motor)-.jpg
    Lippisch Delta I (Motor)-.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Mav! So this bird has a double identity... Does "Dreieck" translate "Delta" somehow in German? Or did the aircraft change names along the way?

Stargazer2006 said:
Does "Dreieck" translate "Delta" somehow in German?

During those years, the term "delta" wasn't commonly used in Germany and the wing was simply
described as a "Dreieck" (triangle). The term "delta wing" is just a description of its shape, too,
of course, but back then the German language still used less foreign words, than today.

Thanks for the input, Jens. I have renamed the topic accordingly.