LAND 400 Phase 2 decision revealed

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
496
Reaction score
0
Slightly off-topic: please, explain, if it possible, why modern small-caliber cannon' barrels have been frequently surrounded by extrnal structures, like on this vehicle?

These rectangular cross-section boxes, with holes in it intended to be uses kind of additional protection?

Thanks in advance!
 

Kadija_Man

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
1,867
Reaction score
0
Silencer1 said:
Slightly off-topic: please, explain, if it possible, why modern small-caliber cannon' barrels have been frequently surrounded by extrnal structures, like on this vehicle?

These rectangular cross-section boxes, with holes in it intended to be uses kind of additional protection?

Thanks in advance!
No. They provide extra support to prevent barrel whip. Modern materials being what they are, to improve accuracy the thin barrel needs extra support.
 

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Joined
Aug 3, 2009
Messages
496
Reaction score
0
Kadija_Man said:
No. They provide extra support to prevent barrel whip. Modern materials being what they are, to improve accuracy the thin barrel needs extra support.
Thank you, Kadija_Man!

Curiously, a classical IFV (BMP-2, Bradley, Warrior) has have a "unsupported" cannons, mounted in turret.
Why this changes in modern types?
 

totoro

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Website
www.youtube.com
Why the indentations on the hull side armor? What purpose could that serve being applied in the way it's applied? Part of it almost look like it's a handle, but there are also visible holes that go deeper...
 

JFC Fuller

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
3,104
Reaction score
0
Is the 35mm gun confirmed? If so is it the WOTAN 35?

I thought the Rheinmettal bid used the 30mm gun?
 

starviking

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Messages
933
Reaction score
0
totoro said:
Why the indentations on the hull side armor? What purpose could that serve being applied in the way it's applied? Part of it almost look like it's a handle, but there are also visible holes that go deeper...
I'd assume they're for attaching and detaching the armour.
 

Kadija_Man

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
1,867
Reaction score
0
Silencer1 said:
Kadija_Man said:
No. They provide extra support to prevent barrel whip. Modern materials being what they are, to improve accuracy the thin barrel needs extra support.
Thank you, Kadija_Man!

Curiously, a classical IFV (BMP-2, Bradley, Warrior) has have a "unsupported" cannons, mounted in turret.
Why this changes in modern types?
The need to hit pin-point targets. Previous weapons were meant to be infantry support weapons, rather than anti-armour weapons. That meant the weapon was intended to "spray" it's target somewhat, rather than necessarily hit something less than a metre square at 2000 metre ranges.
 

Kadija_Man

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
1,867
Reaction score
0
JFC Fuller said:
Is the 35mm gun confirmed? If so is it the WOTAN 35?

I thought the Rheinmettal bid used the 30mm gun?
Sorry, you're right, I'm wrong. It is the 30mm gun, not a 35mm gun. My mistake.
 

stealthflanker

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
totoro said:
Why the indentations on the hull side armor? What purpose could that serve being applied in the way it's applied? Part of it almost look like it's a handle, but there are also visible holes that go deeper...
could be AMAP-ADS hardkill system. destroying inbound enemy rounds.
 
Top