What do you think which is the mount for the KM40? I using mobile phone now and imgur's mobile browser drastically reduces quality though it shows normal on PC
None? the only open mount platform kinda like to KM40 was 12.7cm L/61.7 twin flak (is on page 9), but it have shell hoists, KM/40 has to be loaded by hand if i recall.
The Pendulum mount seems to be the one you're after. It's marked KRUPP, after the company that produces the 12.8cm/61 Flak 40. Also, of course, the caliber length strongly indicates that it is the Flak 40.
Although there are shell hoists these are independent from the fact that the rounds would be loaded by hand.
The mount/turret/thing is such an oddball, but I see where they were going with it.

Based on the dimensions of the turret the full length of the gun including the loading trays is 5.500mm. Without it it is around 4.850mm and if I remove the tray length from the breech or that loading mechanism thing than we get 4.200mm which is 5cm/84, very close to the 5cm Flak 41's /86,8 value!
Seems like this is indeed a navalized 5cm Flak 41!

What do you think which is the mount for the KM40? I using mobile phone now and imgur's mobile browser drastically reduces quality though it shows normal on PC
None? the only open mount platform kinda like to KM40 was 12.7cm L/61.7 twin flak (is on page 9), but it have shell hoists, KM/40 has to be loaded by hand if i recall.
The Pendulum mount seems to be the one you're after. It's marked KRUPP, after the company that produces the 12.8cm/61 Flak 40. Also, of course, the caliber length strongly indicates that it is the Flak 40.
Although there are shell hoists these are independent from the fact that the rounds would be loaded by hand.
The mount/turret/thing is such an oddball, but I see where they were going with it.
This one?
View: https://i.imgur.com/0eod2vi.jpeg

Based on the dimensions of the turret the full length of the gun including the loading trays is 5.500mm. Without it it is around 4.850mm and if I remove the tray length from the breech or that loading mechanism thing than we get 4.200mm which is 5cm/84, very close to the 5cm Flak 41's /86,8 value!
Seems like this is indeed a navalized 5cm Flak 41!
HAHA! Success!
This one?
View: https://i.imgur.com/0eod2vi.jpeg
Yes, that would be the one.
I'm not home at the moment, but hopefully with some numbers from the Flak 40 and this mount we can make a comparative analysis as we did with the Flak 41 and make absolutely sure.

It's great you guys found such drawings in the German Archives now it would be golden finding the same kind of drawings in American, Japanese, Russian and Italian Archives!!!

Thank you for posting these. Wonderful finds.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how well Google translate does technical German, so some of the drawing's names are confusing. Does anyone have better translations? Below I've put the phrases that I can't translate and next to them Google's interpretation.

fallblockversdßluss = case block closure
mit kippmulde = with dump body
wanderndem schildzapfen = wandering turtle cone
Bordflak = ?
mit mündungsbremse und Rollkupplung Rohrschnittziechnung = with muzzle brake and roll clutch Pipe section drawing
schächte seitl hinter den Rohren = shafts behind the pipes
in pendelafette = in pendulum carriage

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure how well Google translate does technical German, so some of the drawing's names are confusing. Does anyone have better translations? Below I've put the phrases that I can't translate and next to them Google's interpretation.

Bordflak = ?
mit mündungsbremse und Rollkupplung Rohrschnittziechnung = with muzzle brake and roll clutch Pipe section drawing
"Bord" means "board" in German i believe (not native), so i assuming board implying the mounting platforms, many of these sketches are land mounting some sorts.

You can use DeepL for better translations.

Bordflak = ?
"Bord" means "board" in German i believe (not native), so i assuming board implying the mounting platforms, many of these sketches are land mounting some sorts.

You can use DeepL for better translations.

Bordflak = ?
If I recall, the 3cm MK 103 was given "Bord" or "Bordkanone" mounts which were literally just wood and metal "mountings". There is an image or two online for these.

Bordflak = land-based anti-aircraft mountings.

Bordkanone = air-borne canon.

I assume? since i often see "flak" term used for land mountings.

Bordflak = land-based anti-aircraft mountings.

Bordkanone = air-borne canon.

I assume? since i often see "flak" term used for land mountings.
I suppose Bordkanone was used because the MK 103 is really a Luftwaffe airborne weapon first and foremost before a land mount. Flak was the primary word in use for land mountings so I suppose if you have Bordflak then you have a combination of a typically airborne cannon with a typical land mount (Flakvierling, Flak 38, and a piece of wood with some hollow steel supports I guess).

"Bord..." in this context just means used on a ship, or in/on an aircraft.
"Bordflak" : AA gun on a ship
"Bordflugzeug" : Aircraft launched from a ship
"Bordkanone" in most cases used for aircraft guns only.
The special features of the shown model of the Bordkanone Mk 103 are the two types
of gun mountings for, what typically is an aircraft gun.

Added a new folder with a couple of interesting pictures I got from a friend. @Sanglune
Also, an excerpt from War Diary: German Naval Staff Operations Division:
14 Dec. 19^3 CONFIDENTIAL

1. Fleet Torpedo Boats type 4l A.

On the basis of demands for heavier .armament, by
the Fleet and Commander, Destroyers some time ago, it was
proposed to equip the Fleet Torpedo Boots -41- -with six 10.5
cm KM 44 twin mountings ins teed of four 10.5 cm single
mountings. This resulted in the construction of the new . .
type 4l A Fleet Torpedo Boat. ■ owing to the heavier armament
the displacement was increased by about 60 tons, the breadth
was enlarged by 0,2 m while the speed was reduced to 33*5
knots. In accordance with the proposal of the Bureau of Naval
Construction Division, Naval Armament the oil-supply .was
to be decreased by 60 tons, thereby restoring the former speed
of 34 knots, at the same time reducing the radius of action
by approximately 400 nautical miles.

Operations Division, Naval Staff attaches great importance
to a strong armament and is prepared to accept a reduction'
of speed if it is necessary.

2. Destroyer Type 42 A,

11 * ■ ■»— ^ mm — — — *ww — w^ ii 11 —i n ^m * ■■■—■■*

In May 194^ the Chief of the Naval Construction
Division, Bureau of Naval Armament reported to the High
Command, N' vy that an increase of speed could not be
achieved by a transition from steam destroyers to engine-
propelled destroyers even if the number of motors were
increased from 4 to 6. However, a subsequent calculation
resulted in an increase of 1 to 1 J- knots.

Even the difficulties feared regarding the bedplate proved
groundless. The transition to eight engines with the necess-
arily resulting increase of displacement allowed at the same
time for the demands for reinforced armament. The risk of the
transition to engine-propelled destroyers remains the same
with six as with eight engines.

Naval Staff thus considers the project with eight engines
best and is prepared to accept the probably decrease in'
production from four to three destroyers.

In order to remain independent of the deadlines for the
deliver 1 of the new 12.8 turrets it is suggested that an .
artillery armament of 6-12.8 cm guns be provided in one
12.8 cm turret each and one 12.8 cm single -mounting for'ard
and aft in accordance with the request of Commander, Destroyers.

In this way it will be possible to place 12.8 cm guns aboard
in single mountings, if the deliveries of the turrets arc
delayed.
This details more thoroughly the oft-times unknown difference between Ftb 1941 and its successor, the 1941A. Additionally we get some of the thinking behind the swap to diesel motors.

Thank you for posting so many plans. I was examining the unknown diesel engine, it seems to be a Mercedes Benz Diesel MB507. Used in many Kriegsmarine vessels, but also in the Maus
MB507? Got it, thank you! I'll make the edits.

I am not sure which version it is yet, it seems there were two.
I am checking again in the archives to see if there is more to be learned about this engine and what it was used for.

Many of the 12,7-12,8cm AA guns are very new!
12,7cm Doppelflak L/54? Naval and AA version of the PAK 44? Or a new gun?
12,8cm Zweiachsige Bord-Flak / Einzelflak seems to be a /52 gun based on the barrel drawing and by the muzzle break looks like an Anti Tank gun to begin with??? There is also an L/48 version?
The single 8,8cm L/56 is a single naval mount for the 8,8cm Flak 18/36/37/41 gun?

Many of the 12,7-12,8cm AA guns are very new!
12,7cm Doppelflak L/54? Naval and AA version of the PAK 44? Or a new gun?
12,8cm Zweiachsige Bord-Flak / Einzelflak seems to be a /52 gun based on the barrel drawing and by the muzzle break looks like an Anti Tank gun to begin with??? There is also an L/48 version?
The single 8,8cm L/56 is a single naval mount for the 8,8cm Flak 18/36/37/41 gun?
I think the 12.7cm Doppelflak is the most confusing. It can't come from the Pak 44 as the design year is 1940. I want to say it's related to the Flak 40 in development, but none of the lengths correlate. I think this is a unique gun.
The /52-caliber measurement is with the muzzle brake, no? The two drawings dedicated to the gun do not include the muzzle brake in the length, leaving it at 48 calibers. However, I still strongly believe that it is a Pak 44-derivative or related weapon. The design year is late 1943, the same year and around the same timeframe that the Pak 44 is being developed, but before the weapon is fully developed and definitely before the weapon is produced. The round weights correlate for HE (28 kg) but the muzzle velocity is a little low (830 m/s) which is very similar to the 845 m/s low-charge that you get with the anti-tank gun. This decrease may be explained by the shorter barrel causing a loss of muzzle velocity versus the /55-caliber Pak 44. Personally? I believe this design was conducted in-tandem with the Heer to produce two very similar and parts-compatible guns. The Heer would use it as an AT gun while the Kriegsmarine would use it as a biaxial or triaxial, single or twin AA gun. This is only my guess.
And finally, the 8.8cm. Yeah, this one is almost certainly a Flak 36 or Flak 37 on some sort of naval mount.

Coming back to the Doppelflak for a moment, it could be that this is also just a shortened Flak 40, but again this statement is nothing more than a guess.

The intended use of the Flak 40, Flak 41, and other land-based weapons in naval mounts have definitely opened up the possibility.

Almost forgot to add that I'm seriously thinking that the 12cm/53 is actually a Dutch 12cm/50. When you look at the overall length of the gun, divided by 120, you get none other than 53.25 caliber.

Almost forgot to add that I'm seriously thinking that the 12cm/53 is actually a Dutch 12cm/50. When you look at the overall length of the gun, divided by 120, you get none other than 53.25 caliber.

The Bofors 12cm m/24? It sure fits the time frame of the Zenker designs and the overall length of that gun is 6.390mm which is indeed exactly 53,25 when divided by 120!

For the Kriegsmarine, that may be the so-called "Wackeltopf" (wobbling pot), the stabilized
AA fire control stand

All "Wackeltopf" AA fire control stands were gyro-stabilised. This is another kind of stabilisation, also projected to tank-mounted stabilised guns tinkered by Krupp.

ALCON,

The Primary Documents folder for Germany has been updated and I've implemented a few new things here and there for you to look at. No doubt some things you will find interesting.

I'm interested to see where these plans will eventually end up.

If anyone can tell if there is a difference in caliber between the SK C/34f, g, and h, you get the golden cookie because I cannot figure it out.

P.S.: Will be moving a bunch of plans over from the RM 25 folder to their respective new homes as soon as possible. If you cannot find a ship plan, or want more, you're sure to find it in the RM 25 folder.
Recently I saw a sketch of the battleship H (RM25/15820), which mentioned 40,6cm C/34f. 1644410528078.png
I remember someone has measured the length of the barrel (including the breech) of the c/34f shown on RM 24/362 (fortunately the link is shown before
actually I started looking up on bundesarchiv after seeing that post), and I did the same and got the same results. It's about 21.1m, same as a 40.6cm/52, so I believe that to be 40.6cm.

RM 24/362, 363, 364, 366 shows the Drh LC/34 f, and 371 for g, 372 for h. The c/34h seems to be larger than the others, with a barrel over 22m in length like a 17in/52(my weird guess before without any reliability). The turret on RM 24/371 has a similar size as on 362 to 364, while the date on 371 is closer to that on 366, both July 1937. 362-364 is later, dated Sept. to Dec., and 371 even later in 1938. And then there's the similar three Drh LC/34 f4s and h4s, and the design of the quad turrets of two different sizes seemed to get optimized together. The dates between f and h were quite close of the three schemes.
This shows the development of Drh LC/34 h4 and f4 is almost identical, except that it's smaller in size.
1644426752404.png
I know nothing about the process of armament development though so I couldn't get more information from that:(

The 1-2-1 arrangement turret is indeed the largest I suspect due to the loading mechanisms. You can see the same at the various twin 28cm turrets for the Zenker designs found at the first posts of this thread.
The smallest is the 4x1 turret while the 2-2 is minimally larger than the 4x1 one.

Found a file name "20,3-cm-Drillingturm" (scale 1:50) but this file dated 1931, likely is an early proposed 20.3cm triple turret for secondaries on aircraft carrier designs that Whitley mentioned about.

Some other weapons document about 15cm Tbts.K C/36 guns, i never see it interior or how its operate, curious.

Found a file name "20,3-cm-Drillingturm" (scale 1:50) but this file dated 1931, likely is an early proposed 20.3cm triple turret for secondaries on aircraft carrier designs that Whitley mentioned about.

Some other weapons document about 15cm Tbts.K C/36 guns, i never see it interior or how its operate, curious.
Please post whenever you find the time, I'll gladly add them.
Recently I saw a sketch of the battleship H (RM25/15820), which mentioned 40,6cm C/34f.View attachment 673901
I remember someone has measured the length of the barrel (including the breech) of the c/34f shown on RM 24/362 (fortunately the link is shown before
actually I started looking up on bundesarchiv after seeing that post), and I did the same and got the same results. It's about 21.1m, same as a 40.6cm/52, so I believe that to be 40.6cm.

RM 24/362, 363, 364, 366 shows the Drh LC/34 f, and 371 for g, 372 for h. The c/34h seems to be larger than the others, with a barrel over 22m in length like a 17in/52(my weird guess before without any reliability). The turret on RM 24/371 has a similar size as on 362 to 364, while the date on 371 is closer to that on 366, both July 1937. 362-364 is later, dated Sept. to Dec., and 371 even later in 1938. And then there's the similar three Drh LC/34 f4s and h4s, and the design of the quad turrets of two different sizes seemed to get optimized together. The dates between f and h were quite close of the three schemes.
This shows the development of Drh LC/34 h4 and f4 is almost identical, except that it's smaller in size.
View attachment 673908
I know nothing about the process of armament development though so I couldn't get more information from that:(
I knew the 'h' was a bit bigger but I thought it might be production 42cm guns of some type. I don't recall the lengths at this moment but if memory serves roughly the length of 'h' guns divided by 420 does still equal about 52 caliber.

Recently I saw a sketch of the battleship H (RM25/15820), which mentioned 40,6cm C/34f.View attachment 673901

View attachment 673908
I knew the 'h' was a bit bigger but I thought it might be production 42cm guns of some type. I don't recall the lengths at this moment but if memory serves roughly the length of 'h' guns divided by 420 does still equal about 52 caliber.
1644473392626.png
I measured the document provided by bundesarchiv (RM 24/373) and if there haven't been a mistake, I've got a result of 22437mm. And as I used MSPaint, if a limit error of 5px each time is introduced, it'll turn out to be (22.44±0.06)m. Here the 0.06m is the standard error while the limit is about 0.12m.

Well no... they're non-digital scans, so file name numbers perhaps?
RM 25/8169 "20,3-cm-Drillingturm (1 : 50)" - 1931.
RM 25/8949 "Zeichnungs-Nr. WSK 39300.- 15-cm-Tbts.K C/36 in 15-cm-Tbts.L C/36 mit Handbetrieb" - 1940-1942.
RM 25/8950 "Zeichnungs-Nr. WSK 39300.- 15-cm-Tbts.K C/36 in 15-cm-Tbts.L C/36 mit Maschinenantrieb" - 1940-1942.

As for barrel measurements, i get the same guess is 42cm guns too but still uncertain, let me see if i can find the 40.6cm full barrel+x ray version of it (already found the 40.6cm breech details sketch). There's also French built 38cm/45, for Jean Bart, i'll upload later.

An earlier 20,3cm triple turret?
Because this drawing seems to be made in August, 1937:
1644486683451.png
There appears to be such a file, along with that of many other parts including a Schmidt boiler for cruisers(RM 25/6825 Zeichnungs-Nr. H 90251 A.- Schmidt-Kessel für Kreuzer (1 : 10) 1932).
However it seems that the originals are at Bundesarchiv-Militararchiv in Freiburg, but unluckily the digitized versions aren't available on invenio and I can't find them anywhere.
RM 25/8949 "Zeichnungs-Nr. WSK 39300.- 15-cm-Tbts.K C/36 in 15-cm-Tbts.L C/36 mit Handbetrieb" - 1940-1942.
RM 25/8950 "Zeichnungs-Nr. WSK 39300.- 15-cm-Tbts.K C/36 in 15-cm-Tbts.L C/36 mit Maschinenantrieb" - 1940-1942.

As for barrel measurements, i get the same guess is 42cm guns too but still uncertain, let me see if i can find the 40.6cm full barrel+x ray version of it (already found the 40.6cm breech details sketch). There's also French built 38cm/45, for Jean Bart, i'll upload later.
Maybe there's still a chance that the digital scans currently available that remains to be found (I wonder how to do that though). I remember that there are quite a few documents that are available on other sites like The Dreadnought Project but nowhere to be found on invenio. For example, below is a drawing of Prinz Eugen
http://dreadnoughtproject.org/plans/KM_Prinz_Eugen_1940/langsschnitt_100dpi.jpg
I believe it to be numbered RM 25/7136 later (number not shown on this scan) but the scan doesn't appear on invenio.
1644489939675.png

Oh, I nearly forgot, I believe I actually have the latter two, but not the first. It should be in the RM 25 folder.

View attachment 673908
View attachment 673945
I measured the document provided by bundesarchiv (RM 24/373) and if there haven't been a mistake, I've got a result of 22437mm. And as I used MSPaint, if a limit error of 5px each time is introduced, it'll turn out to be (22.44±0.06)m. Here the 0.06m is the standard error while the limit is about 0.12m.
It can either be a longer 40.6 with a 55-caliber barrel, a 42cm with a 53-odd caliber barrel, or a 45cm/50-caliber of some sort.

The 42cm should be a /48 calibre gun as navweaps states that these would be bored out 40,6cm/52 barrels.

The 42cm should be a /48 calibre gun as navweaps states that these would be bored out 40,6cm/52 barrels.
I'm still wonder if there was a plan for production 42cm guns, which has been the thought process behind why this might be a 42cm gun.
Checking out the C/34f and C/34g twins, the 'g' is very slightly larger - by no more than about 5% in most measurements - which is a rather small increase in size. I wonder why, if they're the same 40.6cm guns?
Checking the 'h', it's a massive increase in size.

Trunnion to Rear of Turret:
f: 13200
g: 13650
h: 14700
Width of Turret:
f: 9600
g: 10100
h: 10900
Width of Barbette:
f: 11000
g: 11500
h: 12500

53cm/45 for comparison:
Trunnion to Rear of Turret: 16350
Width of Turret: 12800
Width of Barbette: 14200

38cm/52 C/26 for comparison:
Trunnion to Rear of Turret: need to do maths
Width of Turret: 8900
Width of Barbette: 10600

38cm/52 C/34d for comparison:
Trunnion to Rear of Turret: more math
Width of Turret: still more math
Width of Barbette: 10500

So, some obvious conclusions:
- f-h is increasingly larger in turret size
- f and h are different size guns
- g is either a 40.6cm gun like f or an intermediate caliber between f and h (need to remeasure barrel lengths and confirm)
- h is no larger than 53cm, and in fact comes nowhere NEAR the size of the 53cm twin.

With all of these in mind, I can make some surefire assertions:
- This is not a 50cm gun.
- 43cm was never considered by the KM as far as I am aware, and I do not believe it is mentioned in any sources that I am aware of.

This leaves me with:
45cm/50-caliber.

However, I will not discount the idea of a 43cm/52-caliber gun. There could be a source out there. The KM has considered a wide variety of calibers including 17cm, 19cm, 21cm, 35.5cm, 42cm, 48cm, etc. It would not be out of the ballpark to think that 43cm may be one of these calibers. 45cm is just what I feel comfortable with as it's already been established as a caliber the KM have or will consider, albeit at /60-caliber length.

I'll check my hard drive later, recalled i have a paper sheet about performances of 35cm and a mysterious 38cm L/60 high velocity gun.
Oh, I nearly forgot, I believe I actually have the latter two, but not the first. It should be in the RM 25 folder.
Oops, i was thinking if you have the twin turret version...
Maybe there's still a chance that the digital scans currently available that remains to be found (I wonder how to do that though). I remember that there are quite a few documents that are available on other sites like The Dreadnought Project but nowhere to be found on invenio. For example, below is a
drawing of Prinz Eugen
It appears you can contacts Invenio and requests copies of a document,scans (according to their translated guides), invenio said they wish to further expanding more digitalized scans in the future.

Last edited: