Kremnij-2 IFF signal details?

Maury Markowitz

From the Great White North!
Reaction score
I found this:

But I am confused by its description which appears to have been translated from a non-English language. For instance:

The interrogating ground station sends three pulses with a specific length and distance

Distance? I am going to assume this means inter-(sub)pulse spacing, but maybe they mean pulse length? Unfortunately, neither number is given. Does anyone have either detail? The only number I find is that of the inter-(super)pulse responces.

A friendly airplane answers by impressing a specific frequency onto these pulses

I assume this means "modulating" as there is an otherwise floating reference to AM. There are a series of 12 modules listed, am I correct in thinking that the listed frequency is used to modulate the carrier?

It states that the returns are on the same frequency as the interrogator, and I see only one interrogation frequency at 668 MHz, is that correct?

I clicked through to the German reference, which shows additiona "antwortimpulse", apparently "reply impulses", but what might these be? They are on a different frequency and have completely different details.