hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Khrunichev T-2402 Dinosaur was medium/long range cargo/passenger
STOL transport aircraft,it had a high mounted tandem wing configuration
in very strange shape powered by two 3000 hp Klimov TV7-117 turboprop
engines,and its external dimensions were;span (rear wing) 27,2m (89ft 3in),
length 22,7m (74ft 6in) and height 6,0m (19ft 9in).

Attachments

• T-2402 (1).JPG
    T-2402 (1).JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 233
Oh, brilliant! Didn't know that Russia had also done a SMUT-type design... It looks real neat. I enclose the Scaled Composites Model 133 "SMUT" ATTT (AT³) for comparison.

Attachments

• 893443 Advanced Technology Transport ATTT N1335SC left front m.jpg
    893443 Advanced Technology Transport ATTT N1335SC left front m.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 173
Stargazer2006 said:
Oh, brilliant! Didn't know that Russia had also done a SMUT-type design... It looks real neat. I enclose the Scaled Composites Model 133 "SMUT" ATTT (AT³) for comparison.

There was a predecessor of those T-2402 - Sukhoi S-80. It's designer, Grunin, later goes to Khrunicev company. Besides S-80 evolved in more conventional Su-80 cargo-passenger twin-boom aircraft.

Attachments

• S-80__2_.jpg
    S-80__2_.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 184
  • S-80__1_.jpg
    S-80__1_.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 184
Oh yeah! I remember that one! A product of a love affair between an OV-10 Bronco and Thunderbird 2... LOL
I was so in love with the design back when I saw the blue and white desktop model at Le Bourget (was that 1991?). Wish they had built it...
Thanks for this pleasant reminder!

Please forgive my ignorance but it strikes me as a bit of a co-incidence that the S-80 and the ATTT have such similar and, at least to me, unusual plans?

For example, is there a particular requirement/mission profile that could lead to independent designs arriving at such an apparently similar solution, or is it likely/possible that one design has influenced the other? (I've no idea which came first!)

Dinosaur and SMUT...they were better at designing aircraft than names, weren't they? ;)

He he... Well, the acronym "SMUT" was kind of an inhouse joke at Scaled Composites... Just the way the Starship prototype was called the "SCAT". I don't think "Dinosaur" was meant to be funny, on the other hand... Perhaps in Russian the word has no pejorative connotations...

Hi!

Hammer Birchgrove said:
Isn't "Dinosaur" a NATO-codename? ???

In what class of aircraft?
F - for fighters, B - for bombers, C - for cargo, M - for miscelanneous, H - helicopters...
Is there any other code letters?
I think, that is to generous to assign codename for unbuilt aircraft of unconventional design.