KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

The result of DPSR (Development Progress and Status Review)

Seems the configuration has been finalized, F414 being selected as engine. Development continue which hopefully will yield prototype at 2020 and maiden flight at 2021.

News In Indonesian.
Pt-1
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/06/positif-program-jet-tempur-kf-xif-x-berjalan-sesusai-rencana-bagian-1/

Pt-2
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/08/ini-dia-konfigurasi-akhir-dan-detail-jet-tempur-kf-xif-x-bagian-2/

Pt-3
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/10/tiga-skadron-jet-tempur-if-x-akan-memperkuat-sayap-tni-au-bagian-3/

In summary our KF/IFX have following features :

1.Boom refuelling system
2.Larger external fuel capacity for Indonesian variant (480L) compared to Korea (370L)
3.Drag chute (Korea does not need one tho but the jet will have it)
4.Total procurements of 120 aircraft (down from 130) Indonesia will have 48 aircraft.

So it's the same configuration for both SK and Indonesia. With block 2, some years ahead.

48 airframes would basically become Indonesia's largest fighter purchase since Hawk. the 48 airframes would make 3 squadrons. looks formidable and in my view for special mission like counter cruise missile. Each squadron, assuming 15 aircrafts can be properly armed and airborne, can roughly handle salvo of 25 cruise missiles with RCS of 0.01 sqm and speed of M 0.5.

https://www.facebook.com/KoreaAerospace/posts/2324431124235987?__xts__[0]=68.ARBfT3agBNfyoYYNoEA0YU_1dC7aap2cAGx8ezaEuQVOvv6YnoOLLtCR_OZi3cj7wLHAGX_FIcWKD8zATQ2kzGbjrw1Fp0rKxvj_3Dt8pyadvFKOlWsphqi4AKHpwJ04gn86tCjUaAee40CL9_fyKBA0Mrz6a-SoiESQCBAQUre2raOnH3x1zECkJoqYv5e-hiVg98uMCQ_b6C_w6dgDhn5pvZzFNPcDWHxa4zAM-nPKN71mPh1y7Wn2yL-t1GBYT5Pcbf4RPdxImEYE9qEiMIu_-wuF4uiYfjCLYrva8UOTetX0XmAXmYBoZDUqDPljh_gF4F7QCb52-oSlWBU_LlCSjwKdhccgNsmzn1W1dkyNCQ4A&__tn__=C-R

Well sorry for facebook Link. But basically first bulkhead has been cut.

51762763_2324431000902666_1441052667014021120_n.jpg

52040697_2324430884236011_4319449271012163584_n.jpg

Another one ...

Attachments

• DzqyREhX4AAT2TZ.jpeg
    DzqyREhX4AAT2TZ.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 341
Any recent news since February?

The economic woes from the Indonesian side still seem to be affecting this programme.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...-seeking-concessions-on-k-fxi-fx-cost-459837/

The much greater problem on our side is related to commitment. There have been "voices" inside that the project should go away, but cancelling it outright will drag us in International Arbitrage which then we will be fined. It has to be ROK itself that kicked us. So yeah the govt could be playing this rather dirty game of stalling and renegotiating.

It is very high time for Argentina to get new combat aircraft. Both Mirage III (now retired) and Skyhawks fought in a Falkland war as old as my old self * 37 years and counting...

It is very high time for Argentina to get new combat aircraft. Both Mirage III (now retired) and Skyhawks fought in a Falkland war as old as my old self * 37 years and counting...

real scaled mockup for the kf-x, more picture will be released at ADEX2019

Attachments

• externalFile (3).jpg
    externalFile (3).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 201
  • externalFile (2).jpg
    externalFile (2).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 205
  • externalFile (1).jpg
    externalFile (1).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 228
So, is it an F-22 copy or are they using data supplied by the US?

South Korea’s indigenous fighter jet development program has entered the phase of prototype development following critical design review, or CDR, , according to developers.
The KF-X program for a 4.5-generation fighter, worth $7.4 billion, seeks to develop an advanced twin-engine fighter jet on par with the latest F-16 variant of Lockheed Martin by 2026, with the rollout of the first prototype happening in 2021. Korea Aerospace Industries, or KAI, is responsible for the systems development and integration.

So, is it an F-22 copy or are they using data supplied by the US?
KAI is getting LM assistance, but the interesting thing is the early design of the KF-X (C101~C103) literally just took a lot of the dimensions and wing planform from the F-35A (basically it was benchmarked to the JSF) and then further design and optimisation (CFD, wind tunnel tests, ect) led the design to morph into the Raptor-like one today. In fact the KF-X design used to have F-35 like vertical stabilizers until the C107 design which changed them to trapezoidal ones like on the F-22A.
Chinese and Japanese sources say that the plane is called "KF-70A".
Not official yet but the logic is that the T-50 was born around the semicentennial of the ROKAF and this year is the 70th anniversary so...

No weapons bay seems kinda pointless, unless the RCS with 4x conformal Meteors actually approaches decent stealth levels under that of the likes of a Superbug or Rafale. Might need to scab on some kind of overwrapping containment system for the fuselage stations in the future, while using Boeing's pods on the wings to carry a decent A2A load.

No weapons bay seems kinda pointless, unless the RCS with 4x conformal Meteors actually approaches decent stealth levels under that of the likes of a Superbug or Rafale. Might need to scab on some kind of overwrapping containment system for the fuselage stations in the future, while using Boeing's pods on the wings to carry a decent A2A load.
You're considering Rafale and SuperBug stealth as "decent" and only hope that this airframe that this airframe with only four semiburied AAMs with approach that level?..

You're considering Rafale and SuperBug stealth as "decent" and only hope that this airframe that this airframe with only four semiburied AAMs with approach that level?..
Some consider that a made in USA sticker is an much more determining factor than physics

I understand that they went to decorrelate Stealth targeting and strike.

With two birds for example, they can get one in full stealth mode (no pylons excluding defensive aam) and one in "Beast mode" carrying the A2G weapon that will be launched offrange. If we look at the theatre of operation (Korea), it's easy to understand how this concept applies to a relatively small countries where the inbound leg to target location is small keeping you relatively out of harm way. They have F-15K that can also play the role of Chasseur for offrange weapon.

It would be nice to see the Franco-German refining the concept with their FCAS before embrassing a more costly, unafordable for the French budget, gigantic plane supposed to do it all in one.

Nice little fighter b/w. I guess Swedish Saab engineers got angrily jealous now.

Last edited:

With two birds for example, they can get one in full stealth mode (no pylons excluding defensive aam) and one in "Beast mode" carrying the A2G weapon that will be launched offrange. If we look at the theatre of operation (Korea), it's easy to understand how this concept applies to a relatively small countries where the inbound leg to target location is small keeping you relatively out of harm way. They have F-15K that can also play the role of Chasseur for offrange weapon.

It would be nice to see the Franco-German refining the concept with their FCAS before embrassing a more costly, unafordable for the French budget, gigantic plane supposed to do it all in one.

Nice little fighter b/w. I guess Swedish Saab engineers got angrily jealous now.

That doesn’t match up with anything I’ve read about this project.

My understanding is that South Korea is trying to keep within their technical and financial means with this project and that over time and later production blocks it is intended that this aircraft will evolve from something broadly equivalent to a Eurofighter Typhoon to something a lot closer to a F-35 (addition of internal weapon carriage, more advanced “stealthy” materials incorporated, etc.).
Hence in the context of above and of South Korea buying the F-35 (and looking to add additional F-35s to their purchase) it is is simply not correct to say they are decoupling stealth targeting and strike.

The reference to the France/ Germany FCAS project makes literally no sense in this context, being both irrelevant and based on an incorrect premise.

If true, THAT, strikes me as the most logical development model for a weapon's platform.

I said under that of the Rafale and Superbug as in I would not expect the K-FX with conformal AAMs to nowhere near approach the levels of refined stealth found in the F-35 and F-22 when they carry internal loads.

The lack of IWB was not desirous in some performance-tradeoff aspect but more for political and budgetary reasons. Also, 4.5gen fighters are seemingly going to fly well into the second part of this decade (in tandem with stealthy F-35s and other platforms) so even with conformal carriage the ROKAF will have a potent force mix.

The role of the KF-X will very much be far from the strategic strike role that the current F-15Ks and future F-35s will take. I also concur that the KF-X may be the 'Gripen' of the Asian fighters just as the Gripen is the Gripen of the Eurocanards (Not a great omen for export prospects).
That doesn’t match up with anything I’ve read about this project.

My understanding is that South Korea is trying to keep within their technical and financial means with this project and that over time and later production blocks it is intended that this aircraft will evolve from something broadly equivalent to a Eurofighter Typhoon to something a lot closer to a F-35 (addition of internal weapon carriage, more advanced “stealthy” materials incorporated, etc.).
Hence in the context of above and of South Korea buying the F-35 (and looking to add additional F-35s to their purchase) it is is simply not correct to say they are decoupling stealth targeting and strike.

The reference to the France/ Germany FCAS project makes literally no sense in this context, being both irrelevant and based on an incorrect premise.
I guess in a way once the ROKAF gets a UCAS that is dedicated to strike it may turn out to be true but in isolation the KF-X doesn't say much about FCAS.
I had visited ADEX 2019.

More images related to KF-X is shown in blog

http://jaesan-aero.blogspot.com/2019/10/adex-2019-korea-part-2-external-display.html

(Part 1, 3, and 4 also shows other pictures of ADEX 2019)

View attachment 620411

Those bird slicers and IRST seem like the opposite of stealth.
KAI hasn't signed an agreement with BAE Systems for the AN/APX-126 yet and IFF antennas can be designed to be conformal in any case. I guess the IRST is a more fundamental issue.

The role of the KF-X will very much be far from the strategic strike role that the current F-15Ks and future F-35s will take. I also concur that the KF-X may be the 'Gripen' of the Asian fighters just as the Gripen is the Gripen of the Eurocanards (Not a great omen for export prospects).
It most certainly isn't a gripen of any kind. Completely different price(including daily expenses) can be readily expected. It drags everything else as well.
One engine too much.

Any news, esp. images of the prototype under construction?

It most certainly isn't a gripen of any kind. Completely different price(including daily expenses) can be readily expected. It drags everything else as well.
One engine too much.

isnt the third block supposed to finally include full weapons bay?

my question is..why wait until the third block. why couldn't they do it from the beginning?

There was quite a bit of ongoing chaos in Korean official circles even before the Coronavirus hit.

Attachments

• 20200224_183201.jpg
    20200224_183201.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 81
Looking at the images upthread, those apertures are where the gun goes . . .

EDIT: beat me too it . . . :D

cheers,
Robin.