• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter programme

stealthflanker

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The result of DPSR (Development Progress and Status Review)

Seems the configuration has been finalized, F414 being selected as engine. Development continue which hopefully will yield prototype at 2020 and maiden flight at 2021.

News In Indonesian.
Pt-1
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/06/positif-program-jet-tempur-kf-xif-x-berjalan-sesusai-rencana-bagian-1/

Pt-2
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/08/ini-dia-konfigurasi-akhir-dan-detail-jet-tempur-kf-xif-x-bagian-2/

Pt-3
https://www.angkasareview.com/2018/12/10/tiga-skadron-jet-tempur-if-x-akan-memperkuat-sayap-tni-au-bagian-3/

In summary our KF/IFX have following features :

1.Boom refuelling system
2.Larger external fuel capacity for Indonesian variant (480L) compared to Korea (370L)
3.Drag chute (Korea does not need one tho but the jet will have it)
4.Total procurements of 120 aircraft (down from 130) Indonesia will have 48 aircraft.

So it's the same configuration for both SK and Indonesia. With block 2, some years ahead.

48 airframes would basically become Indonesia's largest fighter purchase since Hawk. the 48 airframes would make 3 squadrons. looks formidable and in my view for special mission like counter cruise missile. Each squadron, assuming 15 aircrafts can be properly armed and airborne, can roughly handle salvo of 25 cruise missiles with RCS of 0.01 sqm and speed of M 0.5.

stealthflanker

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/KoreaAerospace/posts/2324431124235987?__xts__[0]=68.ARBfT3agBNfyoYYNoEA0YU_1dC7aap2cAGx8ezaEuQVOvv6YnoOLLtCR_OZi3cj7wLHAGX_FIcWKD8zATQ2kzGbjrw1Fp0rKxvj_3Dt8pyadvFKOlWsphqi4AKHpwJ04gn86tCjUaAee40CL9_fyKBA0Mrz6a-SoiESQCBAQUre2raOnH3x1zECkJoqYv5e-hiVg98uMCQ_b6C_w6dgDhn5pvZzFNPcDWHxa4zAM-nPKN71mPh1y7Wn2yL-t1GBYT5Pcbf4RPdxImEYE9qEiMIu_-wuF4uiYfjCLYrva8UOTetX0XmAXmYBoZDUqDPljh_gF4F7QCb52-oSlWBU_LlCSjwKdhccgNsmzn1W1dkyNCQ4A&__tn__=C-R

Well sorry for facebook Link. But basically first bulkhead has been cut.

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Any recent news since February?

stealthflanker

Reaction score
The economic woes from the Indonesian side still seem to be affecting this programme.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/jakarta-still-seeking-concessions-on-k-fxi-fx-cost-459837/
The much greater problem on our side is related to commitment. There have been "voices" inside that the project should go away, but cancelling it outright will drag us in International Arbitrage which then we will be fined. It has to be ROK itself that kicked us. So yeah the govt could be playing this rather dirty game of stalling and renegotiating.

Hood

Reaction score

GARGEAN

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Four years from first flight to completion. That song is getting old...

Archibald

Reaction score
It is very high time for Argentina to get new combat aircraft. Both Mirage III (now retired) and Skyhawks fought in a Falkland war as old as my old self * 37 years and counting...

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
So, is it an F-22 copy or are they using data supplied by the US?

Flyaway

Reaction score
South Korea’s indigenous fighter jet development program has entered the phase of prototype development following critical design review, or CDR, , according to developers.
The KF-X program for a 4.5-generation fighter, worth $7.4 billion, seeks to develop an advanced twin-engine fighter jet on par with the latest F-16 variant of Lockheed Martin by 2026, with the rollout of the first prototype happening in 2021. Korea Aerospace Industries, or KAI, is responsible for the systems development and integration.

Mach42

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
So, is it an F-22 copy or are they using data supplied by the US?
KAI is getting LM assistance, but the interesting thing is the early design of the KF-X (C101~C103) literally just took a lot of the dimensions and wing planform from the F-35A (basically it was benchmarked to the JSF) and then further design and optimisation (CFD, wind tunnel tests, ect) led the design to morph into the Raptor-like one today. In fact the KF-X design used to have F-35 like vertical stabilizers until the C107 design which changed them to trapezoidal ones like on the F-22A.
Chinese and Japanese sources say that the plane is called "KF-70A".
Not official yet but the logic is that the T-50 was born around the semicentennial of the ROKAF and this year is the 70th anniversary so...