IAI Kfir

Iranian F-14A

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone ad any detailed info on either of these recce platforms,and possibly some detailed photos or drawings of the recce nose configurations of these planes.
So far,all I've found it that the Kfir CR.2 did become operational,but I'd assume in very small numbers,while the Cheetah R never did.Any and all help would be welcome.

Hi Iranian f 14
Some more at the adress on the bottom of the page.
2 cr2 ???

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,727
The Cheetah R had a similar type of camera setup as the Mirage III R2Z in SAAF service, but also had the radar of the Cheetah E. Its nose profile is different from the two recce Kfirs pictured above.

I believe it also had its twin 30mm cannon removed, and was also fitted with the Advanced Combat Wing. It was very fast if I recall correctly, faster than the other Cheetah's.

It was decided to equip the Cheetah C with recce pods in the end, probably due to cost reasons.

Below are some pictures.

http://oldsite.ipmssa.za.org/KB/Aircraft/Cheetah/Cheetah_r_gallery1.htm

OK,great.Looks like the Cheetah R will be easier to do then I originally thought.Thanks for the great pics.

Roaring Back
(Source: Israel Air Force; issued Sept. 25, 2013)

Colombia is currently the biggest operator of the Israeli Kfir fighter, and has a fleet of 24 aircraft, all upgraded to the same, modern standard. Neighboring Ecuador operates another Mirage III variant, the South African-developed Atlas Aviation Cheetah, also in an upgraded version. It is almost 40 years old, but it is perfectly fit and though many years have passed since it started its service in the IAF, the IAI "Kfir" is one of the most surprising exports of the IAI. From outside it looks almost the same, but on the inside, technology from the second decade of the 21st century is installed, making it a fighter that can do anything on the modern battlefield

"It was the evening of Israel's Independence Day and high above Ben Gurion Airport a triangular winged fighter plane rolled in and performed maneuvers with grace and precision. What made the inaugural flight noteworthy is the fact that after years of relying on French and American fighter planes, Israelis now manufacture a plane with their own hands".

IAF Magazine opened its August 1975 edition with these very words. Four months prior, on the eve of Independence Day, two Kfir planes were delivered to the IAF and the vision of the "Israeli fighter plane" became a reality with the inaugural flight described in IAF Magazine.

While it is fixed in the national consciousness as the first Israeli fighter plane, few people know that today, almost 40 years after that evening in Ben Gurion Airport, the Kfir ('Lion" in Hebrew) has leapt into the 21st century, a leap that has brought with it the best of technology and armaments of 2013 and has made it a plane with diverse and attractive capabilities.

New, Brand New

"In the critical area of 'see first - shoot first', the Kfir has capabilities that are no less powerful than the capabilities of any western or eastern fighter plane of the fourth generation (F-16, F-15, Eurofighter, Rafal, MiG-29, Sukhoi-30) and is a first class competitor with planes that are not equipped with stealth technology produced in recent decades", says Oren Aviram, Director of Marketing and Business Development in the "Lahav" factory of the IAI.

"If we take into account the technology and the computer systems installed in the newer fourth generation planes, it's around a decade old; in the 'Block 60' Kfir, the latest technology that is produced here these days is installed and that is where the advantage lies".

This situation is made possible because of the unique configuration of the aircraft system. According to Yossi Melamed, director of Lahav, "We work with open architecture, which allows us to continue to install innovations in the field of computing and avionics in the planes and actually to upgrade them all the time, unlike other fighter planes".

The "Block 60" which is the 2013 model of the Kfir, is an upgraded fighter plane that undergoes "stripping" before the beginning of the upgrading process. "Whether it's a Kfir that has arrived from a foreign customer or whether it's a local Kfir, we remove everything down to what we call the 'pipes', i.e. the central cylinder which constitutes the fuselage. Afterwards, we install everything new and if need be we produce parts that are needed", explains Melamed. "Of course, the equipment that is installed in the whole plane is new: wiring, avionics, computer systems, radar and various types of armaments and plane systems with zero hour flight".

During the stripping process, the body of the plane is checked down to the smallest screw. "After the process the plane undergoes in the 'Lahav' factory, it leaves with the ability to fly 8,000 hours with the manufacturer's warranty, meaning the plane can fly for decades", explains Aviram.

After the stripping process, the next step is the installation of the systems. One of the main systems is the version of the Data Link system that is installed in the Kfir planes produced by "Lahav" and also in all of the IAF fighter planes connecting the planes, control and command systems, and the armaments. The systems turns the Kfir into a plane that is suited for the battlefield of the 21st century, a battlefield that is based on a multitude of data, constantly connected and mainly data processing at record speeds in order to take necessary actions against targets with short exposure lengths and low signatures.

The Colombian Challenge

One of the main customers of the Kfir is the Colombian Air Force. "Colombia is a country that engaged in a battle", explains Oren. "The Kfir planes there work and attack; they have been engaged in continuous and intense operational activity for years".

Up until a few years ago the Colombians operated around a dozen Kfir fighters of the third generation configuration. "We faced some significant challenges on the Colombian project", adds Oren. "We had to upgrade the planes they own from third generation to fourth generation as well as double the number of Kfir planes of Colombia and finally, we were supposed to complete the project with in a period of three years".

All the Colombian planes underwent the upgrade process and became new planes within the same period of time that was assigned to the project. Consequently, on Colombian Independence Day which was set as the deadline, an impressive flying formation of 24 upgraded Kfir fighters flew across the sky.

"One of the main things in the project we put emphasis on was a high level of usability", said Melamed and not long before the level of usability was put to the test. The Colombian Air Force received an exclusive invitation to take part in the famous "Red Flag" week in USA. The Colombian Kfir planes flew over 2000 miles to the Nellis airbase in Nevada, using the new aerial refueling capabilities that constitute part of the upgrade and they all arrived safely, but the long flight was just a prelude to what happened at the "Red Flag" week.

"At some points in the flights during the week, the advanced fourth generation fighters of different countries took off in a partial composition following usability problems, while the Kfir planes demonstrated full usability in the air and yielded excellent results", explains Oren. "They did their job, scored hits and even surprised with their offensive abilities in aerial combat: the updated Kfir with advanced radar, electronic warfare, long range air-to-air armaments and advanced avionics managed to shot down fourth generation American fighters that flew against them as simulated enemy plane. The American participants thought very highly of the Colombian pilots and their Kfir planes, the many indications of which can be found on the internet".

Fire in the Sky

The people in "Lahav" put an emphasis on the Cost-Benefit characteristic of the 2013 "Block 60" model of the Kfir. "The Kfir is in line with fourth generation planes and brings with it between 80-120 percent of their capabilities in terms of avionics, armaments, payload and pods such as the 'Lightning' for nighttime attacks and laser designation capability for a precise attack, radar capabilities that include high resolution ground mapping, SAR capability that allows for information gathering and attacks in all weather conditions, all of this at a third of the price of fourth generation planes and with a flight hour at a fourth of the price of fourth generation Western planes with single engine", explains Aviram and Melamed adds that: "the customer receives a plane with radar capabilities, computer systems and advanced armaments at a significantly lower price than similar planes on the market".

The result is that more countries are already expressing interest in the Kfir planes, among them countries in Europe. The "Block 60" version for NATO countries will include connectivity, advanced radar of the AESA kind that allows activities in more than one mode simultaneously and more very advanced capabilities. Beyond that, aerial refueling capabilities were also added giving the plane a much broader scope and there were significant changes in the cockpit.

"The cockpit of the Kfir fighters has undergone a big change", explains Oren. "There is a colored radar screen, a moving map, a new multi-strength mission computer and HOTAS capabilities that allow control of many activities without removing your hands from the stick".

The Kfir can now lock on 64 targets, share them with other planes and get an indication of who is locked on whom. "The ability of the radar to separate targets and categorize together with the network sharing allows for a full picture of the battlefield", says Oren. "The Kfir has cross-section radar that is very low and coupled with the capabilities of its radar it 'sees first and shoots first' better than most of the other fighter planes of the fourth generation".

Even with respect to armaments, the Kfir planes are at the forefront. "You can hang on the Kfir any kind of armament on the nine stations", Melamed emphasizes. "We combined laser-guided munitions that are assisted by the designation pod with autonomous guided bombs and advanced air-to-air missiles, like the Python-5 and BVR missiles equivalent to AMRAAM".

It turns out that these capabilities also have evidence in reality. As stated, Colombia is very active with the upgraded Kfir planes in the air-to-ground area, precise attacks in inclement weather and at night. As a result, the Kfir planes remain operational and in use at all hours of the day.

Melamed is looking forward with optimism. "In a few years, the intention is to sell between two to three squadrons".

Kfir in action

The 27th of June, 1979 was a good day for world records and indeed two were actually set. It was a day in which for the first time, an F-15 fighter shot down an enemy plane but more interestingly, it was the first time the Kfir won a "Dog fight".

Captain S', who holds the world record, said in the August 1979 edition of IAF Magazine: "I got cold feet, but when you're inside, everything work out", and today when Lieutenant Colonel (Res.) Shai Eshel looks back at that battle, he says that, in retrospect, it was possible to down even more Syrian MiGs. "The flight that same day was intended to intercept the Syrian MiGs that harassed the aerial photographing flights of the IAF that followed the placement of Syrian missile batteries in the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon", he adds.

The pair of Phantom F-4 jets that took photographs was accompanied by eight intercepting planes. "Four of the planes consisting of Falcon (F-15) jets were visible. They talked on the two way radio and flew above Beirut, while our other four planes consisting of two Falcon (F-15) jets and two Kfir fighters, where I was number 4, went silent and flew at a low altitude outside of the area".

The Phantom planes began to go north from the Dead Sea area and ascended to reach an altitude of 60,000 feet from which the photographs can be taken. The Syrians that located the flight deployed eight MiGs from the Damascus area towards the Beqaa Valley in Lebanon. Crossing the northern line of the photographers getting ready to intercept them, the MiGs accelerated and gained height.

"Immediately afterwards, the F-15 jets start to make radar contact with the MiGs, while the photographing planes turn their tails towards the Syrian planes that were
flying towards them without knowing that they are arriving at a trap", explains Eshel. "Then, the controller tuned to the F-15 planes and gave the approval to open fire".

That is how the historic aerial battle began. While Eshel's silent aerial formation of four planes started to gain height towards the battle, the aerial formation of four F-15 planes opened fire. "We dropped extra fuel tanks, but my fuel tank got stuck because of a technical malfunction. As I was gaining height, the missiles launched by the F-15 fighters passed over our heads. We also entered the battle and I noticed a MiG spinning that I assumed was going to crash, so I didn't exert any effort on downing him. In retrospect, he landed safely and I missed an easy downing opportunity".

The radio network was filled with a lot of yelling and the air with missiles that were launched one after another. "I noticed two MiGs turning east and I went after them. From a range of 1500 meters I launched a missile towards the leader that exploded 2-3 meters behind it. It started to emit smoke, but the pilot continued to fly it. I approached it at a short distance in order to finish the job with canons, but he abandoned the plane and, in retrospect, it turned out that this moment was captured by the camera lens of the canon".

Eshel also tried to hit the second MiG. "The two of us were at low speed and so I tried to gain speed and raise the nose of the plane. I got into the missile launching position and I launched the second missile, but to my disappointment, it didn't hit the target. I reduced the distance between us in order to down him with a canon but he rolled over, entered a cloud and that is how I lost the opportunity".

At the end of the massive battle that lasted a very short time, it became clear that five MiGs were shot down. Landed at the base, it became clear to Eshel that the real battle had just begun.

"The F-15 pilots claimed that all the shoot-downs belong to them", recalls Eshel. "Together with the Commander of the Base, I traveled to the debrief in which it was determined that the downing belonged to me".

-ends-

Does anyone have any details of this "Block 60" variant? Also, who in Europe is supposedly showing interest??

Apparently the interested party was Bulgaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAI_Kfir

There's a brochure on Kfir upgrades here that talks in vague terms about the Block 60.

ftp://ftpd.iai.co.il/KFIR/kFIR%20BLOCK%2060%20%20bulits%201%20pager.doc

Not sure about the "Block 60 for NATO", but the Cheetah C had all of those capabilities ascribed to the new Columbian Kfir 20 years ago, in the early 90's.

Data link, multimode radar, BVRAAM, MFD's, HOTAS, inflight refuelling, internal EW/ECM suite, but with the addition of the helmet mounted sight for the V3 Darter missile.

The Cheetah C conducted various air combat manoeuvre camps against US F-15, Belgian F-16, Indian Mirage 2000, and Russian Su-27's.
From what has been published, it aquitted itself well, and whilst it obviously has it's weaknesses, it also surprised many due certain of its strengths.

kaiserbill said:
Not sure about the "Block 60 for NATO", but the Cheetah C had all of those capabilities ascribed to the new Columbian Kfir 20 years ago, in the early 90's.

Maybe but it would not have the same performance in navigation accuracy, processing power, data transfer rate, etc. that an aircraft fitted with today's systems would have. The Cheetah like the Kfir offers a lot of performance for a fraction of the cost of a new built 4th generation fighter. Its something like 80-25.

Sorry not but if anyone needs some detail images of the recce nose then this might help:

Esp. since the CAD-designer has some very good contacts to IAI and the original bird.

Another photo:

tumblr_nfpvr6QuYi1txx6x7o1_1280_zps464qlayy.jpg

I'm speculating that the nose was designed for/equipped with the HIAC-1 LOROP long-range camera as later also fitted to the F-4E(S). can anyone confirm?

' Mirage III/5/50 en service à l'étranger' by Chenel/Liébert/Moreau, LELA Presse, has a chapter about Mirage and Kfir aircaft in Israeli service.

@Greg: the image you found shows one of two Kfir C2s that were fitted with a 1.2 metre focal length panoramic camera. Aircraft originally numbered 819 and 851, renumbered 419 and 451 after conversion. These Kfir C2s were replacements for Mirage IIICJ aircraft nrs 458, 799 (possibly others as well?) that were converted earlier.

Francillon's 'McDonnell Douglas Aircraft since 1920 - Volume II', Putnam, gives a 1.68 metre focal length for the LOROP camera when describing the F-4E(S). That seems to rule out the LOROP camera in the Kfir and Mirage noses.

Apologies for a very late answer to the original question, I'll try to post some images of the converted Mirage IIICJs and the Cheetah R later.

As promised. The single Cheetah R started life as Mirage IIIR2Z number 855. After conversion to Cheetah E standard, without the aerial refueling gear, its guns were removed. A remodeled nose was fitted that replaced the camera in the tip of the nose with a telemetry radar, while retaining the other cameras from the original nose. Later, a Vinten Vicon 610 pod fitted to a Cheetah's central hardpoint was preferred.

Number 855 was also used as a testbed for the Advanced Combat Wing (ACW), Chenel/Liébert/Moreau write the 855's fuselage is kept at Denel, with the ACW itself kept at Swartkops. C/L/W write there are plans to reassemble 855 at Swartkops.

Attachments

• Cheetah R.jpg
    Cheetah R.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 822
  • Mirage IIICJ recce1.jpg
    Mirage IIICJ recce1.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 767
  • Mirage IIICJ recce2.jpg
    Mirage IIICJ recce2.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 701
GTX said:
Another photo:

tumblr_nfpvr6QuYi1txx6x7o1_1280_zps464qlayy.jpg

I'm speculating that the nose was designed for/equipped with the HIAC-1 LOROP long-range camera as later also fitted to the F-4E(S). can anyone confirm?
This is the IAI Kfir C-2 451 nicknamed "Prizma" with the Tzniut nose

this was the camera of the Israeli recon Kfir

Attachments

• 11008498_10204943337916150_4855978847829232780_o.jpg
    11008498_10204943337916150_4855978847829232780_o.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 151
Any more details (e.g. designation?)? Is it possible to get close ups of the other documents shown in that image?

some more photos

Attachments

• 210015.jpg
    210015.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 136
  • 210016.jpg
    210016.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 210018.jpg
    210018.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 162
GTX said:
Any more details (e.g. designation?)? Is it possible to get close ups of the other documents shown in that image?
The designation of the photo-recce nose was : צניעות (latin characters tzniut) which means modesty or humility.

Interesting - so it was the same as one of the SR-71's TEOC units (some more info here - about halfway down the page)

yes indeed. the cameras (2) were supplied to Israel upon signing a ceasefire agreement wit Egypt, after the 1973 war

IAI outlines Kfir developments for Colombia, Sri Lanka, ATAC

Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has noted a number of developments for its Kfir fighter, including the conclusion of an upgrade programme for Colombia, plans to upgrade and return to service aircraft for Sri Lanka, and ongoing efforts to sell additional aircraft to a US ‘Red Air’ contractor.

Speaking to Jane’s on 12 December, a senior IAI official said that the last of 22 upgraded Block 60 Kfirs was being returned to the Colombian Air Force (Fuerza Aerea Colombiana: FAC) on the same day, while the company is in talks with the Sri Lankan government to upgrade and return to service its five grounded Kfir fighters. Further to these two efforts, IAI is also continuing discussions with Airborne Tactical Advantage Company (ATAC) about adding to its Kfir fleet with aircraft previously earmarked for Argentina.

With regard to the Colombian upgrade, the president and general manager of IAI’s LAHAV Division, Benjamin Cohen, explained, “Colombia is receiving today the last of 22 Block 60 Kfirs that have been upgraded with new 4.5 Generation avionics. This gives the aircraft a very high capability that is comparable to the F-16 Block 52. This work was done in Colombia, and we have also delivered two new upgraded”.

http://www.janes.com/article/76335/iai-outlines-kfir-developments-for-colombia-sri-lanka-atac

Archibald said:
It amaze me that Israel still has Kfirs in mothballs, ready for upgrades.

After the 1973 War and the need for emergency resupply of Israeli aircraft inventories, I'm not even slightly surprised that they keep everything possible in storage, just in case.

TomS said:
Archibald said:
It amaze me that Israel still has Kfirs in mothballs, ready for upgrades.

After the 1973 War and the need for emergency resupply of Israeli aircraft inventories, I'm not even slightly surprised that they keep everything possible in storage, just in case.

For those interested in this topic I would recommend the article on the Columbian Kfirs in the November 2017 Combat Aicraft Monthly magazine (from Key publishing).
The IAI commemts above don’t fully tally with the numbers and intent suggested in that article; suggestion there that the total of approx. 26 Kfirs in total delivered with only approx 14 updated to approx (not full) block 60 standard and in active service. The IAI comments don’t appear to relate to further airframes (may be an extension of upgrades to out of service Kfirs already delivered/ seen service with Columbia?)
We are not talking massive numbers of aircraft and Israel did retire its Kfirs relatively young in years and flying hours in favor of F16s and F15s.

According to Wikipedia Israel build 220 Kfirs. So I shouldn't be surprised many of them are still available, perhaps 150. I never realized Israel had build that many airframes.

not sure if block 60 but IAI just announced they are are going to upgrade the Sri Lankan Kfirs

Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) recently signed a contract, worth USD $50 million with Sri Lanka's Ministry of Defense to upgrade Kfir aircraft for the Sri Lankan Air Force. The deal includes replacing the aircraft's basic avionics with the advanced 4+ generation fighter aircraft avionics in order to one day integrate advanced radar, sensors, communication systems, and new helmets. The upgrade process will also include transfer of knowledge and skills for refurbishment to Sri Lankan Air Force personnel. The upgrades will be completed in cooperation with Sri Lanka's Air Force and in their local facilities.

Some Kfir export prospects. First up, US export approval to Austria (needed for the J79). Competition ultimately won by the F-5:

Veto for Ecuador (obviously not an issue later for the CE variant):

IAI salesmen recently in Manila:

Singapore offered some as well as 2nd hand Mirages.....and Australia too (with possible re-sale of ex-Israeli A-4s as a bonus):

Does anyone know if the Israeli investigation of the RR Spey as an alternative to the J79 got any further than basic analysis? For instance, were any drawings made?

Would the UK have sold military engines to Israel in this period? - wasn’t the UK quite committed politically and economically to selling equipment to a number of Israel’s opponents (who wouldn’t have stood for even more advanced kit going to Israel).

Bill Norton (in Air War on the Edge) says the J-79, Spey and TF-30 were considered at an early stage for Nesher (possibly before they had sorted out obtaining Atar?).

The IAF also considered using Spey on a Vautour upgrade around 1967, so it was thought to be possible to obtain.

By the time Kfir was being designed Israel already had J-79 equipped Phantoms in service, so it seems unlikely they would have seriously considered Spey.

Last edited:
By the time Kfir was being designed Israel already had J-79 equipped Phantoms in service, so it seems unlikely they would have seriously considered Spey.
Another factor was that the US would license J79 production to Israel. Not sure if licensed Spey production was even an option in the late 60s early 70s.

There's
Another factor was that the US would license J79 production to Israel. Not sure if licensed Spey production was even an option in the late 60s early 70s.
China started talks in 1971 and signed a license production agreement for Spey in 1975, so it presumably would be possible.

Would the UK have sold military engines to Israel in this period? - wasn’t the UK quite committed politically and economically to selling equipment to a number of Israel’s opponents (who wouldn’t have stood for even more advanced kit going to Israel).
Britain happily built the Type 540 Gal-class submarines on behalf of Howaldtswerke as the German's couldn't politically build them so there probably wasn't a major political stumbling block in Britain supplying military technology to Israel during this period.

Britain happily built the Type 540 Gal-class submarines on behalf of Howaldtswerke as the German's couldn't politically build them so there probably wasn't a major political stumbling block in Britain supplying military technology to Israel during this period.
It would have been a point of conversation for the UK with their long established Jordanian and the Gulf States customers for sure (particularly as by the time the Kfir was actually entering service the Oil Crisis had begun).
And the J79 was clearly the better and more obvious choice for Israel and the Kfir at the time (particularly as the initial focus was more on the air superiority role anyway, not low level ground attack or some other role/ environment that would have played to the Speys strengths).
I don’t think the Spey Kfir was a near-miss and if it had been closer to fruition some of these wider political aspects may have played a more significant part.

It would have been a point of conversation for the UK with their long established Jordanian and the Gulf States customers for sure (particularly as by the time the Kfir was actually entering service the Oil Crisis had begun).
And the J79 was clearly the better and more obvious choice for Israel and the Kfir at the time (particularly as the initial focus was more on the air superiority role anyway, not low level ground attack or some other role/ environment that would have played to the Speys strengths).
I don’t think the Spey Kfir was a near-miss and if it had been closer to fruition some of these wider political aspects may have played a more significant part.

Paul's post references the Nesher, not the Kfir, the development of which preceded the 1973 oil shock by several years. Context for the Spey Vautour proposal can be found in "Foreign Relations of the United States 1964-1968 Volumes 1964–1968" . Bill Gunston states in Bombers of the West, 1973, that Dassault expected to sell Spey Mirages to Israel too. It seems clear that there was a period of significant interest in Israeli use of the Spey in the mid-1960s that would be worth exploring through UK archives.

However, even if it had been the Kfir that was being discussed, Hood's point is a very powerful one. That the UK was willing to allow Vickers to construct three submarines for Israel, all the way through the oil shock, provides significant weight to the theory that there would not have been an issue with providing the Spey to Israel.

Last edited:
The heavily modernized Vautour proposal between Sud Aviation and IAI was circa 1965-66 (Tsikklon or Tsyklon: since 2007 I never got the spelling right !) :D - and indeed involved Speys. In fact that proposal would have turned the Vautours into Buccaneer S.2 clones.

The Israelis truly loved their Vautours - but by 1968 they were 10 years old, with antiquated bombing system and heavy attrition. The Skyhawks and Phantoms were expressly bought to replace the Vautours. Initially the Mirage V were to take that role too - so did the Nesher in the end.

Starting in the 1990's (in the last days without the Internet) Le Fana had a long running series of monographies related to French aircraft in Israeli service - Dassault Ouragans to Mirages, Vautours, Fougas, Super Frelons. What the Israelis did with that aircraft was pretty amazing from day one, in 1958.
They found the French using the Vautour like a jet-powered WWII bombers (B-25 or A-26) including with Norden bombsights (!). They proceeded to do better, and certainly succeded.

Last edited: