Kawasaki Ki-102 "Randy" radar system

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
dear people who can tell me what for radar system the Kawasaki ki-102 Randy was equipped with.
I know this plane has a radar but I believe it was not placed in the nose of this Fighter because it possessed a very heavy cannon.
my question is where was it placed and what for type radar was it,further was it equipped with a parabolic configuration antenna?
Ill hope someone can help me with this.

Just to clarify, the Ki-102 came in 3 distinct versions: the Ki-102 Ko (Ki-102a) a high-altitude fighter armed with 2 forward firing 20mm cannons and 1 37mm cannon and powered by turbo-supercharged engines; the Ki-102 Otsu (Ki-102b) the ground-attack version armed with 2 forward firing 20mm cannons and 1 57mm cannon and a rear-ward facing 12.7mm machine gun; and the Ki-102 Hei (Ki-102c) the night-fighter version with an elongated fuselage, wider wingspan, and the same turbo-supercharged engines as the Ki-102a. The radar was under a plexiglass dome behind the cockpit, and the armament consisted of 2 forward firing 30mm cannons and 2 20mm cannons in a schräge musik configuration. The first two versions were produced in limited numbers but the Ki-102c was a prototype with only 2 being built.

Since you asked about the radar, you are referring to the prototype Ki-102c variant. I have not found any mention of the type of radar that was to be used for this aircraft.

Attachments

• Ki-102c 3 view 2.jpg
    Ki-102c 3 view 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 350
windswords said:
... The radar was under a plexiglass dome behind the cockpit, ...

Seems to me, that it was more a kind of radar gun sight, than an AI-radar.

After posting the 2nd image I am confused. One source I have says the radar was under the dome but the image shows a radar operator's head poking out of it! Why not put the radar operator behind the pilot like the Ki-102b version? But all the sources say that the c version was to have radar. So, was it in the nose or somewhere else?

T-50 said:
dear people who can tell me what for radar system the Kawasaki ki-102 Randy was equipped with.
I know this plane has a radar but I believe it was not placed in the nose of this Fighter because it possessed a very heavy cannon.
my question is where was it placed and what for type radar was it,further was it equipped with a parabolic configuration antenna?
Ill hope someone can help me with this.
Hi! Taki 2-go(タキ2号) and Taki 15-go.
Sourec ; All the Experimental Aircraft in Japanese Army, page 92, ISBN978-4-87357-233-8

タキ2号
敗戦の年の1945年に射撃制御用の タキ2号 が完成する。周波数375MHz,大型航空機探知距離3km、重量120kg、屠龍に搭載、住友通信。
Taki No.2
In defeat, 1945 to complete Taki No.2 for fire control. 375 MHz frequency, large aircraft detection distance 3 km, weight 120 kg, mounted on Toryu and maker was Sumitomo communications.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14964.msg150280.html#msg150280

Attachments

• Taki 2 go radar.jpg
    Taki 2 go radar.jpg
    967.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Taki 2 go system.jpg
    Taki 2 go system.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 225
タキ15号1型諸元
用途: 電波誘導装置機上部
受信周波数: 184MHz
送信周波数: 175MHz
繰返周波数: 1,000Hz
パルス幅: 5μsec
尖頭出力: 100w
送信機構成: 発振T-304( P.P.)
変調方式: パルス変調、変調管PH-1
空中線: 1/4λ垂直型、送受兼用
受信機: スーパーヘテロダイン方式、混合(UN-954)、局部発振(UN-955)、中間周波増幅4段(RH-2 x4)、検波(RH-2)、低周波増幅(RH-1)
中間周波数: 10MHz
帯域幅: 1.5MHz
利得: 100db
電源: 回転式直流変圧器、入力27V
総重量: 25Kg
製造: 東芝

Taki 15 No. 1-specifications
Applications: radio induction apparatus on board,
Receiving frequency: 184 MHz
Transmission frequency: 175 MHz
Cyclic repetition frequency: 1,000 Hz
Pulse width: 5 sec
Peak output: 100 w
Transmitter configuration: oscillator T-304 (P. P.)
Modulation method: pulse modulation, modulator tube pH-1
Aerials: 1 / 4 λ vertical type, power transmission and for
Receiver: superheterodyne, mixed (UN-954), local oscillator (UN-955), intermediate-frequency amplifier 4-(RH-2 x 4), detection (RH-2), low-frequency amplifier (RH-1)
Intermediate frequency: 10 MHz
Bandwidth: 1.5 MHz
Gain: 100 db
Power supply: Rotary DC transformer, input 27 V
Total weight: 25 Kg
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Source
http://www.yokohamaradiomuseum.com/cgi-bin/imgboard.cgi?bbsaction=disp_rep_form&amode=&page=1&blood=20090602143943&parent=5741

Not at all. Please do not hesitate to ask me if you have any question. ;)

You can see Ki-102 Hei(丙) specification bottom of this site.
http://memolog.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=naljava69&currentPage=1&from=postList&listtype=0&logNo=60108190876&viewDate=

Attachments

• Ki-102_hei_night_figjhter.jpg
    Ki-102_hei_night_figjhter.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Ki-102_hei.jpg
    Ki-102_hei.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 75
If not installed outside of the fuselage, it seems to have been standard practice in Japan to use
perspex as cover, but i wouldn't be too surprised, if this isn't recognisable on a 3-view. Apart from
just being forgotten by the draughtsman, another reason could be, that it was simply painted
over. Some paint probably won't worsen the dielectric characteristics of perspex.

windswords said:
... Why not put the radar operator behind the pilot like the Ki-102b version?

The de Havilland Sea Hornet NF.21 comes to my mind, where the same arrangement was used.
I would suppose, that it was done to keep the CG in the right place. On the internal arrangement
drawing, it looks as if a fuel tank is located just behind the pilot, very near to the CG ? Putting it
further back so maybe would heopardise stability, I think.