Kawasaki Aircraft Prototypes & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
here is anther competition that I think many of us don't
know it,as army Type-93 single engined light bomber,the winner
was Kawasaki Ki-3,does anyone know the other contenders ?.

Last edited:
My dear Blackkite,

in the book, Japanese aircraft 1910-1941,all of those are a projects,
and for Ki-3 the book said there is a competition between manufactoreres
led to develope this aircraft.

My dear hesham!
My bible is "日本航空機辞典(HAND BOOK OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT 1910-1945(written in Japanese)),MODEL ART Co.Ltd," in 1989.
Explanation is Tadashi Nozawa, who is the authority of Early Japanese aircrafts.
And cooperators of this book are Mitsubishi Heavy Industries,Kawasaki Heavy Industries,Fuji Heavy Industries(Nakajima),Shinmeiwa(Kawanishi) and MARU magazine,etc.
Cooperators are all Japan lineup. So I believe my bible is trustworthy.

Hi all ,

I am searching for more info of the Kawasaki C-6 transport with a retractable undercarriage,
( never built ) a development of the Kawasaki C-5 Communication Aircraft .Thanks in advange.

Swallow.

Source : Japanese Aircraft 1910-1941 ( Robert Mikesh & Shorzoe Abe ) Putnam.

Hi! Kawasaki C-6 high speed transport plane did not leave from the drawing board. C-6 was designed based on Heinkel He70.
I can't find any drawing or picture of C-6. It's shape was similar to Heinkel He 70.
Span ; 13.4m, Length ; 9.88m, Height ; 3.045m, Wing area ; 30 square meter, Empty weight ; 1637kg, Gross weight ; 2850kg, Wing loading ; 95kg/square meter, Power loading ; 3.6 to 4.75kg/HP, Maximum speed ; 354km/h/S.L., 337km/h/3000m, 317km/h/5000m, Service ceiling ; 7500m, Range ; 2780km, Engine ; one BMW-8 liquid cooling V12, 800HP/take off, Pilot ; 1, Flight engineer ; 1, Passengers ; 4.
Attached drawing and pictures are KAWASAKI C-5.And Heinkel He70.
Source ; ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT 1900 - 1945.sHUPPAN-KYODO PUBLICATIONS Tokoy, JAPAN

Attachments

• KAWASAKI C-5.jpg
    KAWASAKI C-5.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 262
  • KAWASAKI C-5 PICTURE.jpg
    KAWASAKI C-5 PICTURE.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 229
  • KAWASAKI C-5 PICTURES 2.jpg
    KAWASAKI C-5 PICTURES 2.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 214
  • HEINKEL HE70.jpg
    HEINKEL HE70.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 193
Hi blackkite,

I need all 8 volumes of this great book-series!!!!!!!! :'(

Servus Maveric

Maveric said:
I need all 8 volumes of this great book-series!!!!!!!! :'(
Servus Maveric

ME TOO!!! ME TOO!!!

but for now thanks a lot Blackkite, I was just looking for info for this plane :) :) :)

Yes I will try to realize it's English version within one book A.S.A.P. It's Japanese responsibility. It's airman's request,too.
Sorry I will be absent for 10 days to meet my mother in Hiroshima city. She is fine. ;D

Hi Kawasaki experimental carrier reconnaissance plane.
The Experimental Carrier Reconnaissance plane
The IJN planned to manufacture the test prototype of the title of considering it as the material of research of all the metal airplanes, with the contribution of a coastal defense loyalty-and-courage meeting(Kaibo Giyu Kai,海防義勇会) in March, 1927.
And manufacture of one trial production airplane was ordered to Kawasaki Shipyard from the IJN.
This trial production airplane was a carrier reconnaissance plane, and the Hiroshi Sato assistant took charge of that design with the Junichiro Nagahata engineer.
Those days, the Junichiro Nagahata engineer was taking charge of the design of an airplane at the aviation research section of the IJN technical research center.
The design start was in March, 1927 and the completion of a design was in June, 1928.
Completion of the trial production airplane in the Kawasaki Shipyard airplane plant was in September, 1928.
The structures of this trial production airplane were all the metal structures where a new concept was added on the basis of a Dornier style.
The wing was a fabric cantilever parasol style single wing.
A wing had sweep back angle and the flap of large area was installed to the wing.
It was original for the carrier airplane which adopted the single wing and the efficient slotted flap.
A designer's intention was very progressive and was a memorable airplane in the history of aviation technology development.
However, since it was built and examined as the top secret, generally this airplane was seldom known.
Moreover, since the basic research about this airplane was insufficient, it did not develop as a practical use airplane.

Source : Internet, etc

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 347
  • side pic3.jpg
    side pic3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
  • model pic2.jpg
    model pic2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 109
  • model pic1.jpg
    model pic1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Kawasaki _Experimental_Carrier_Reconnaissance-plane.jpg
    Kawasaki _Experimental_Carrier_Reconnaissance-plane.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 167
I would propose to change the title in a way, that the specifiction, role and maybe the time frame
is recognisable from the start, otherwise more or less all Japanese aircraft would fitr here, leading
again to a hard to handle thread, that in the end would have to be split.
Any suggestions ? Maybe "Japanese Carrier Based Recce Aircraft Of The Interwar Era" ?
Or maybe limiting it to Kawasaki types, that don't fall in the categories dealt with elsewhere.

There are always two ways of organizing information: either by company or by competition. But it's awkward and complicated to mix the two...

We can have either separate topics such as "Aichi fighters", "Mitsubishi bombers", etc. or topics by specification that feature only one competition and all its contenders. Since the early Japanese aircraft topics so far seem to have followed the second option, I suggest that for all aircraft types that do not fit in the existing topics, we can have additional topics as follows:
  • Various Japanese Navy types
  • Various Japanese Army types
  • Various Japanese commercial types
It's also possible to break it down further (Navy recce types, Army scout types, etc.) depending on the amount of information we have. But introducing names of companies in the titles at this stage would complicate things a bit I think. However, we have topics devoted to specific companies in the Designation Systems section, and it's always possible to use the lists there to point towards the various topics by adding appropriate links.

Anyway, that is only my suggestion to clear once and for all the gigantic mess that is/was the "Japanese projects before 1945" topic...

This title is same as "various Junkers project" for example.  What is wrong?

Principally, as you are pointing out, the Junkers thread. But there are a lot of Junkers projects,
patents and variants, that are to sparsely documented to deserve an own thread.
And yes, I'll split that thread at least into "WW I", "inter war" and "WW II", you're quite right.
We still have dozens of construction sites here and some of them are, well, something like
the new Berlin airport BER. Sorry for that, we are doing, or at least trying our best !
With the current "Various Kawasaki airplanes and it's competitors" it't wrong to my opinion,
that it can include more or less all Japanese aircraft, that somehow were competing to those
from Kawasaki. Isn't that a bit too generic ? :-\

Hi! Please enjoy 3-side view of seldom known Kawasaki experimental carrier reconnaissance aircraft.

This airplane was made as an experiment in parallel to the third loyalty-and-courage number's flying boat, and the result was expected very much.
However, in the test flight in March, 1929, operation of the flap was difficult.
The test flight was carried out several times and stopped.
Probably, although this airplane was an airplane which equipped the world's first flap, it was very sorry about the test flight having been stopped, without being repaired.

Crew : 2, Engine : Mitsubishi Hispano-Suiza water cooling v shape 12 cylinders engine take off power 600hp, Span : 16.6m, Length : 10.65m, Height : 3.18m, Wing area : 43.7 square meter, Empty weight : 1200kg, Gross weight : 1800kg, wing loading : 41.2 kg/square meter, power loading : 4.0kg/hp, Maximum speed : 262km/h/S.L., minimum speed : 68.5km/h, Ceiling : 10000m, Endurance : 3 hours
Source : as usual

Attachments

• Kawasaki experimental carrier reconnaissance plane.jpg
    Kawasaki experimental carrier reconnaissance plane.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 168
blackkite said:
This title is same as "various Junkers project" for example.  What is wrong?

Well, for a start it's not even proper English... It should read "Various Kawasaki airplanes and their competitors."

Secondly, NO, the title is not the same as "Various Junkers projects". The topic you are refering to deals only with Junkers designs, not their competitors! If you want to make a "Various Kawasaki projects" topic it's fine, but then STICK to Kawasaki and don't start posting other stuff! If the competing designs appear in another topic you can always include a link to them.

Thirdly, if you choose to organize topics by competition instead of by company, it's fine too! But then there is no justification to put Kawasaki in the title any more than any of the other competitors. If the aircraft were all part of the same tender, the title should simply say: "Aircraft submitted to *** competition", for example.

I changed the title again for two reasons: First to limit the time frame and second to rename all
posts and not the first one only.
Such threads often are devekoping into adirection not to be foreseen, when they were created,
needing to be renamed, or even split and merged. That's not an affront against the original
poster, just an attempt to make all those posts easier accessible and so more worthwhile for us
all. And if those of us, blessed with a wider knowledge of a special theme could help with such
problems, that help of course always is acknowledged. Sometimes we just have to try to reconcile
several different opinions and that's not always easy !

Hi!
Kawasaki experimental carrier reconnaissance aircraft wind tunnel test model, actual aircraft side view and front view.

Source : ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT VOL.4

Attachments

• wind tunnel test model and actual aircraft.jpg
    wind tunnel test model and actual aircraft.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 93
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 102