Karl Peter Twin-Rotor Helicopter Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a drawings to Junkers (Baade), for a twin-rotor light helicopter project of Mai 1948,
created by the designer Karl Peter,but no more in the book; Das Grobe Buch der DDR-Luftfahrt,
can any one add more ?.

Attachments

• Baade-1.png
    Baade-1.png
    262.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Baade-2.png
    Baade-2.png
    399.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Baade-3.png
    Baade-3.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 152
Re: Karl Peters Twin-Rotor Helicopter Project

The inventor wasn't Brunolf Baade, but Karl Peters, engineer for the Junkers plant. I've changed the title
accordingly .
Principally it was not a just helicopter, but a stoppable rotor aircraft. The principle, as far as I understand was, that
a truss was rotated by two propellers around the main hub. The ends of that truss carried wings, which acted
as rotor, when aligned lengthwise. For cruising flight, they would have been moved perpendicular to the fuselage
with the props tilted to the pull and pusher position. For turning flight, the wings and the props should be tilted,
as seen in picture 2 ! Really a strange arrangement, to my opinion, although the text says, that stability can easily
be proven mathematically and with sub-scale models !
Not sure, that Brunolf Baade would have been enjoyed about mentioned in connection with this contraption. And
perhaps we should move it to the Theoretical and Speculative section. Any opinions, if this principle would work
today, with modern flight control systems ? In the late '40s to my opinion it wouldn't ! ::)

Re: Karl Peters Twin-Rotor Helicopter Project

Jemiba said:
The inventor wasn't Brunolf Baade, but Karl Peters, engineer for the Junkers plant.

Actually it's Karl Peter, not Peters, so you'll have to change the title some more... ;)

Indeed, sorry, should have put my glasses on ! "Peters" is a common surname in German,
"Peter" not, but a forename.

Thank you my dear Jemiba,

and it's a very strange concept to me also.

Back
Top Bottom